Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Older Emachines, trying to upgrade to W7U


01 Sep 2012   #1

Win 7 64 Ultimate
 
 
Older Emachines, trying to upgrade to W7U

i have this older emachines PC i just picked up,, It has windows vista on it (yuk) along with a recovery partition to reset it back to factory specs.

I shrank the C: drive and split the drive so i now have:
C: W7U
D: Vista
E: Emachines Recovery
Or well thats how im trying to get it set up BUT everytime i install Windows 7 the machine thinks it needs to be recovered and boots into system recovery options.
Im lost theres bound to be a way to disable it from the bios maybe? Any one have any ideas??
Im posting here first,, guess ill research and see why i can find or see if one of you guys here can help???


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Sep 2012   #2

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

Are you trying to upgrade vista or do clean install?

I'd recommend clean install if W7U dvd supports. There I'd merge c and d and format. If setup won't even start... Then use bootable gparted cd or live ubuntu and partition and format that way... Then Windows 7 setup should start fine.

Pull drivers folder off vista install in case you need them
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2012   #3

Win 7 64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mrredpants View Post
Are you trying to upgrade vista or do clean install?

I'd recommend clean install if W7U dvd supports. There I'd merge c and d and format. If setup won't even start... Then use bootable gparted cd or live ubuntu and partition and format that way... Then Windows 7 setup should start fine.

Pull drivers folder off vista install in case you need them
No i was abble to get windows to install howevere on the last reboot then it comes up with the recovery options,, i think somethings watching the boot log and when it changes it it automatically opens the recovery options

I read else where someone with the same problem,, they completley reformatted the full HDD as your reccomending and it was still doing the same thing,,, its got to be something in the bios??

EDIT:
Just found this:
How do I set up my computer to dual boot different operating systems?

How do I set up my computer to dual boot different operating systems?

Installation of additional Operating Systems may interfere with the recovery media and methods used to restore a computer to factory defaults.
eMachines does not provide support for the installation of additional Operating Systems that did not originally ship on your computer.
.



Was this answer helpful?

NO!!!! lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Sep 2012   #4

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JRockZ View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mrredpants View Post
Are you trying to upgrade vista or do clean install?

I'd recommend clean install if W7U dvd supports. There I'd merge c and d and format. If setup won't even start... Then use bootable gparted cd or live ubuntu and partition and format that way... Then Windows 7 setup should start fine.

Pull drivers folder off vista install in case you need them
No i was abble to get windows to install howevere on the last reboot then it comes up with the recovery options,, i think somethings watching the boot log and when it changes it it automatically opens the recovery options

I read else where someone with the same problem,, they completley reformatted the full HDD as your reccomending and it was still doing the same thing,,, its got to be something in the bios??

EDIT:
Just found this:
How do I set up my computer to dual boot different operating systems?

How do I set up my computer to dual boot different operating systems?

Installation of additional Operating Systems may interfere with the recovery media and methods used to restore a computer to factory defaults.
eMachines does not provide support for the installation of additional Operating Systems that did not originally ship on your computer.
.



Was this answer helpful?

NO!!!! lol
Sounds like the only way is to remove the recovery partition. This can be done with gparted as I described or within windows using diskpart

Guide: How to Delete Hidden Recovery Partition on Vista

If you want to test the hypothesis, if you have a hard drive laying around, use that instead and likely installs no problem. Find it hard to believe an older emachines system would have something in the BIOS that determines what partition to boot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2012   #5

Win 7 64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mrredpants View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JRockZ View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mrredpants View Post
Are you trying to upgrade vista or do clean install?

I'd recommend clean install if W7U dvd supports. There I'd merge c and d and format. If setup won't even start... Then use bootable gparted cd or live ubuntu and partition and format that way... Then Windows 7 setup should start fine.

Pull drivers folder off vista install in case you need them
No i was abble to get windows to install howevere on the last reboot then it comes up with the recovery options,, i think somethings watching the boot log and when it changes it it automatically opens the recovery options

I read else where someone with the same problem,, they completley reformatted the full HDD as your reccomending and it was still doing the same thing,,, its got to be something in the bios??

EDIT:
Just found this:
How do I set up my computer to dual boot different operating systems?

How do I set up my computer to dual boot different operating systems?

Installation of additional Operating Systems may interfere with the recovery media and methods used to restore a computer to factory defaults.
eMachines does not provide support for the installation of additional Operating Systems that did not originally ship on your computer.
.


Was this answer helpful?

NO!!!! lol
Sounds like the only way is to remove the recovery partition. This can be done with gparted as I described or within windows using diskpart

Guide: How to Delete Hidden Recovery Partition on Vista

If you want to test the hypothesis, if you have a hard drive laying around, use that instead and likely installs no problem. Find it hard to believe an older emachines system would have something in the BIOS that determines what partition to boot.
True, i just used my W7U disc and deleted all partitions, created a new one and formatted and its now installing Windows 7 again, we'll see if it works this time if not then its forsure hard coded into the bios or a setting in the bios thats i'll need to find and turn off.
Thanks for your help,, Ill post back with results soon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2012   #6

Win 7 64 Ultimate
 
 

looks like thats it,, i did just have to wipe out the recovery partition,, im at my W7U desktop now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2012   #7

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

congrats!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Older Emachines, trying to upgrade to W7U




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Older Emachines, trying to upgrade to W7U
Thread Forum
[Q] cpu upgrade for eMachines w3619 w/ ECS 945gct-m3 motherbord Hardware & Devices
Solved PCI-E Card USB 3 Upgrade to older motherboard and Win 7 Ult X86 Hardware & Devices
emachines e350 Performance & Maintenance
Solved Older Laptop Upgrade Installation & Setup
emachines 4260 Graphic Cards
eMachines EL1200-01e Drivers
Can i upgrade from an older Win 7 build to a newer? Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33