Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What to do with 32 GB ram....


07 Sep 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
 
 
What to do with 32 GB ram....

So I finally got 32 GB ram on my core i7 2600K.

What should i do with all this extra ram? is there like some kind of ramdisk to cache hard drive or anything i can do to make good use of the memory regularly even when I am using most programs which does not even use more than 4gb?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Sep 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wildpig1234 View Post
So I finally got 32 GB ram on my core i7 2600K.

What should i do with all this extra ram? is there like some kind of ramdisk to cache hard drive or anything i can do to make good use of the memory regularly even when I am using most programs which does not even use more than 4gb?
You'd better not use all of it, it may brick your computer. I'll send you a private message with my address so you can send me half of it. I do this for your own good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
 
 

well, i had 16 GB ram before which was more than enough, but then i saw the memory on sale so i was like well, i should buy it and maybe just sell the old 16 GB kit. i figure it would be like useful for running benchmarks and pi calculations. But was just wondering if i can make more use of it everyday....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Sep 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wildpig1234 View Post
well, i had 16 GB ram before which was more than enough, but then i saw the memory on sale so i was like well, i should buy it and maybe just sell the old 16 GB kit. i figure it would be like useful for running benchmarks and pi calculations. But was just wondering if i can make more use of it everyday....
Sorry, it was just a poor joke...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 sp1
 
 

I use this ramdrive: RAMDisk - Software - Server Memory Products & Services - Dataram

I use the ramdrive for temp files, firefox cache, chrome cache. and I run some programs from it.
For free you can have a 4GB drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
 
 

I guess i can even get the ver that will let you make a ramdisk bigger than 4GB. Guess there is not really much every day use for 32 GB ram ;(. Oh well, guess i ll just think of it as getting a good bargain and just feel good about that...

There is no way to have win 7 makes use of ram disk for something like readyboost?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Why on earth you want 32gigs of RAM? well for now you can't make any good use of it even the Highest System Demanding softwares are'nt asking that much RAM.. what you can do to make good use of it is... gift them to few of us and get Prayers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2012   #8

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boogieboy View Post
Why on earth you want 32gigs of RAM? well for now you can't make any good use of it even the Highest System Demanding softwares are'nt asking that much RAM.. what you can do to make good use of it is... gift them to few of us and get Prayers
Join the queue boogieboy, oboedad55 was first!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
 
 

Well, the ram getting a lot cheaper now. less than $5/GB. Soon we will all have 128GB of ram

I guess if you use photoshop, CAD, calculating pi, you can't ever have enough ram, but i remember back in the 80's it costed nearly $100/MB of ram. And that you thought you could never get enough ram even just to maximize windows 3.1 performance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2012   #10

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Why do you feel you have to use all that ram now? That's like a kid with money burning a hole in its pocket. Eventually, you will start using programs that will need it but, for now, just consider yourself future proofed from future software that is more RAM intensive and to have spare capacity if one of those sticks fail. I have only 4 GB on my notebook running Windows 7 and will never use it all. My desktop is still running XP and it has only 3.2 GB of RAM available (4 GB installed). Even with six to eight windows open running, among other things, a graphics editing program doing batch edits of up to 130 large JPEGs and Adobe Acrobat combining those JPEGs into a PDF, I've yet to go into virtual memory. When I upgrade to a Windows 7 desktop, I'll make sure the MOBO will handle up to 32 GB but I won't waste money on any more than 8 GB RAM until I actually need more. When I get the 8 GB, I'll just make sure I use only half of the slots so I hopefully can expand by just adding more of the same sticks.

You could use your computer as a HTPC, playing videos and music while you work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What to do with 32 GB ram....




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33