|08 Sep 2012||#1|
| || |
Can't open Windows Explorer/Control Panel for domain user
This issue started last night.
1. I cannot open Windows Explorer.
By clicking explorer in desktop or icon in taskbar. It just shown in taskbar for few seconds and gone. Nothing happen.
2. I also cannot open Control Panel except for Windows Defender and Device Manager.
I have tried to:
- Right click explorer icon and run as administrator, but still no help.
- Run 'explorer.exe' directly from C:\Windows folder, but still no help.
- Run 'SFC /SCANNONW' as administrator from command prompt, result "not find any violations", but still no help.
- Scan using Windows Defender, no issue found, but still no help.
- Run/scan with ShellExView, it all shows 'normal' programs (no UN-recognize software/program).
But if I:
- Restart in Safe Mode, it work fine.
- Login as Local User with admin privilege / Local Admin, it work fine.
Need suggestion and help how to solve this.
Thanks in advance.
- OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit.
- Security: Win Defender (no other Antivirus).
|My System Specs|
|10 Sep 2012||#2|
| || |
Finally I 'fix' it by following other solution in this forum.
Because this issue only happen for domain user and not for local user, so I remove/delete the profile for domain user. And login again with the same domain user, to create new profile, and yohoo it fix the issue.
Here is what I've done:
1. Login as local admin (because as local user have no issue).
2. Open C:\Users folder.
3. Open for User folder that have issue (e.g.: c:\user\emir.yhy)
4. Make backup for all the files/folder inside it to other drive (flash-drive or whatever).
5. Delete/remove User folder (C:\Users\[user folder]).
6. Open 'Regedit'.
7. Go to "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList".
8. On the left pane, make sure it shows something like 'S-1-5-...'
9. On the right pane, check for 'ProfileImagePath' make sure it shown the user name that has problem. (see the attached file).
10. On the left pane, right click the folder and Export it for backup (just in case).
11. On the left pane, right click the folder and 'Delete' it.
12. Switch User (start - switch user).
13. Login as Domain User which have issue (it will create new profile).
14. Try to open 'Windows Explorer'. Tha thaaa... it fixed.
Next step is restore all files that we copy for backup.
BUT do not copy the files. Especially the shortcut. We need to re-create it again.
If not, you will find same issue again.
That's it. That's what I've done to fix my issue.
Hope it help for other who have same issue.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Can't open Windows Explorer/Control Panel for domain user|
|Unable to open control panel due to windows explorer error||General Discussion|
|windows explorer has stopped - when i click control panel||Windows Updates & Activation|
|Command Line Open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items||General Discussion|
|I cannot open my Windows Explorer and Control Panel (Again).||General Discussion|
|Windows explorer and control panel opens, but keep loading||General Discussion|
|Opening up Control Panel crashed Windows Explorer||BSOD Help and Support|
|Windows explorer stops working in control panel||General Discussion|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.