|18 Sep 2012||#1|
| || |
Windows search - is it useless or is it just me ?
I have a lot of files on my USB drive that i want indexed by windows search. I have
added my drive to the list of locations to index (in "Change how windows searches"). I find that windows search will find NOTHING on my drive. I have a lot of ".doc" files and if i type "*.doc" it finds none.
If i remove my drive from the list of locations to index it does find the files but takes a long time (as i would expect ). A few other things ...
- My USB drive is formatted NTFS.
- If I right click on the drive, the "allow files on this drive to have contents indexed" is checked
- The indexing service is running
- SYSTEM has full access to all files on the disk
I have tried all sorts to get it working including ...
- Rebuilding the index using the REBUILD button in the IndexingOptions->AdvancedOptions dialog
- Manually removing the whole index, rebooting and then re-indexing
- Stopping and restarting the indexing service
- Leaving it turned on for the whole day with no user activity to give it a chance to build the index.
Thanks for any help/pointers
|My System Specs|
|18 Sep 2012||#3|
| || |
It's not just you.
Some people like Windows search, but it's not the best choice for me.
Try FileLocator Lite (aka Agent Ransack).
FileLocator Lite - Free File Searching Utility
It's free, easy to use, and doesn't depend on indexing.
I don't use USB drives, so I can't comment on that performance.
I prefer a vanilla system as much as possible, but this is one utility i recommend.
edit: 4wd beat me to it !
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Windows search - is it useless or is it just me ?|
|Windows 7 search for files&folders...can i make it search like XP?||General Discussion|
|UAC is Useless in Windows 7||System Security|
|Need XP-style search program to replace the Windows Seven search||Software|
|Windows 7 search files and folders vs Outlook 2007 search||General Discussion|
|Useless search functionality? What am I doing wrong?||General Discussion|
|Windows Update Renders USB useless||Windows Updates & Activation|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.