Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I Use a Win7HP ISO File for a Clean Install of an Older Vista Sys?


27 Sep 2012   #31
Microsoft MVP

 

So hang onto the windows.old folder until the day comes when you can say for certain that you have everything you need from Vista then run Disk Cleanup and delete it.

Now install your Important and Optional Windows Updates. It occurs to me that the Acer Upgrade disk does not have SP1 so you'll have to wait until Updates gives it up and install it in a day or so. Had you told me earlier that you had the Acer Kit I would have steered you to the latest official installer with SP1 in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to save hours of updating.

Read through that tutorial to pick up some optimization tips, the tools and methods we have learned here to get and keep a perfect install.

If you only chose to install to C and didn't delete all partitions before install then you'll still have the Vista Recovery partition and another useless Acer tools partition which you can later delete and resize Windows 7 into it for more space: Partition Wizard CD Resize Partition - Video Help.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Sep 2012   #32

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
So hang onto the windows.old folder until the day comes when you can say for certain that you have everything you need from Vista then run Disk Cleanup and delete it.

Now install your Important and Optional Windows Updates. It occurs to me that the Acer Upgrade disk does not have SP1 so you'll have to wait until Updates gives it up and install it in a day or so. Had you told me earlier that you had the Acer Kit I would have steered you to the latest official installer with SP1 in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to save hours of updating.

Read through that tutorial to pick up some optimization tips, the tools and methods we have learned here to get and keep a perfect install.
Shoot, and I avoided that option b/c I mistakenly glossed over the OEM and was thinking Microsoft factory product. Oh well, everything happens for a reason. I have lots of time for updates before SP1, and I'm also going to download and install this very instant M'Soft Security Essentials.

Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2012   #33

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sbuxman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
So hang onto the windows.old folder until the day comes when you can say for certain that you have everything you need from Vista then run Disk Cleanup and delete it.

Now install your Important and Optional Windows Updates. It occurs to me that the Acer Upgrade disk does not have SP1 so you'll have to wait until Updates gives it up and install it in a day or so. Had you told me earlier that you had the Acer Kit I would have steered you to the latest official installer with SP1 in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to save hours of updating.

Read through that tutorial to pick up some optimization tips, the tools and methods we have learned here to get and keep a perfect install.
Shoot, and I avoided that option b/c I mistakenly glossed over the OEM and was thinking Microsoft factory product. Oh well, everything happens for a reason. I have lots of time for updates before SP1, and I'm also going to download and install this very instant M'Soft Security Essentials.

Cheers.
As I think about your statement, "Had you told me earlier that you had the Acer Kit I would have steered you to the latest official installer with SP1 in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to save hours of updating.",

I can say that the .iso file I burned and then used to boot from is the one you're mentioning...X17-58996.iso...so what should I have done differently to avoid the hours of updating?

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Sep 2012   #34
Microsoft MVP

 

No that's the one. I thought you had used the disk that came in the Upgrade Kit.

You should only have a few rounds of Updates now.

Are there any devices missing in Device Manager after doing all Optional and Important Updates?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2012   #35

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
No that's the one. I thought you had used the disk that came in the Upgrade Kit.

You should only have a few rounds of Updates now.

Are there any devices missing in Device Manager after doing all Optional and Important Updates?
I think this also solves the "mystery" I mention in my post #30...after being told to instead choose the "upgrade" link because I originally selected the "full" install link after first booting and was unsuccessful, I confused it with the Acer "upgrade" disk...my bad again. You're right, I only have a few rounds of updates, and they're already almost complete,,,then I'll check the devmgr for missing : )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2012   #36

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

No devices are missing in Device Manager and I've done all the latest optional and important updates...all but Microsoft Silverlight and Bing desktop.

I wish I could figure out the tremendous noise coming from the tower 95% of the time...as soon as I access any feature of the computer it kicks in and sounds like a bloody vacuum cleaner. There's lots of dust inside the box which I'll blow out with compressed air momentarily, and I think the two fans that I can see aren't the culprits. Could it be the hard drive?

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2012   #37
Microsoft MVP

 

I would install Core Temp to monitor temps in the SYstem Tray. You may need to repaste the processor heat sink after checking it's condition when blowing out the dust.

You can also take the door off and listen up close to see what is so loud. Some processors are loud like that, or maybe a fan is losing its bearings.



Spring Cleaning for Your Computer: Evacuate PC Dust Bunnies
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I Use a Win7HP ISO File for a Clean Install of an Older Vista Sys?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Can I Use a Win7HP ISO File for a Clean Install of an Older Vista Sys?
Thread Forum
New RAID Array and Clean Install Win7HP-Help with RAID Driver Install Installation & Setup
Solved 2 issues with clean Win 7 install on older laptop Drivers
32-bit Vista to 64-bit W7: Somehow NOT a clean install? Installation & Setup
can't do clean install from Vista 32 to Windows 7 64 Installation & Setup
problems with vista x86 to 7 x64 clean install Installation & Setup
how to know if vista to 7 upgrade or clean 7 install Installation & Setup
Can I perform a clean install from Vista OEM? Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33