I had a freezing problem on my computer that went on for a few months, up until a few weeks ago when I finally discovered what was causing it. It was hard to diagnose because it didn't happen right away. I had to leave my computer on for at least a day for it to strike. Usually it occured when I was using Firefox and it was never when I was doing anything cpu/graphic intensive. Just browsing the web or reading some news, which made me even more confused. When it happened my mouse would start lagging and within 10-20 seconds my computer would freeze up and a restart was the only way to fix it. Occasionally I could open Task Manager in time and end Firefox and that could sometimes save it, although things still felt a little sluggish afterwards.
At first I thought it was hardware related because it was a new computer, so I ran all sorts of tests: Prime95, Intel Burn Test, Memtest, OCCT GPU, Kombustor, Seatools, and it passed all of them with no problems. Then I ran virus and malware scans and it didn't find anything. Turns out it was a software problem caused by Internet Download Manager. I used it all the time when using Firefox so I guess it made sense it usually happened when using the browser. I figured it out when I opened the program one time and it immediately started to make my mouse lag. I couldn't believe that was the problem. I quickly uninstalled IDM and have not had one freeze yet so I'm confident that was the culprit. Just dumb luck that it happened right when I opened the program. I don't know why it causes it but I remember I had to restart the computer after installing so maybe it installs some kind of hook or low-level driver
, I don't know. I just know I'm never using that program again, which sucks because I thought IDM was one of the best download managers ever.
I don't know if this helps you but just wanted to share my story. Never thought a download manager program would screw up my computer like that. Lesson learned.