Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: W7 64bits Task Scheduler, the selected task "{0}" no longer exists

03 Oct 2012   #1
Deman

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
W7 64bits Task Scheduler, the selected task "{0}" no longer exists

Hi,

So I don't know when this: "the selected task "{0}" no longer exists. to see the current task, click refresh" error started but I don't know how to repair this.
When I start task scheduler I first get this error and than no matter what folder I click the error pops up again. After this 2nd error it doesn't pop up anymore but all the folders show up empty.

Tried fixes:
Emptying all task folders in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks
Download Fix My Task Scheduler 1.0 Free - Repair all Task Scheduler errors - Softpedia
/sfc scannow

Programs believed to cause this issue:
CCleaner
Defraggler

Sadly I have both

Please help! I really don't know how to fix this problem, and it causes some programs to not boot correctly. Like MSIafterburner gives an error, so I have to go to the config settings of MSIafterburner because it tries to boot using the taskscheduler really weird I know :/


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Oct 2012   #2
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 17.3 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM
 
 
Possible but ...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Deman View Post
Programs believed to cause this issue:
CCleaner
Defraggler

Sadly I have both

Please help! I really don't know how to fix this problem, and it causes some programs to not boot correctly. Like MSIafterburner gives an error, so I have to go to the config settings of MSIafterburner because it tries to boot using the taskscheduler really weird I know :/
Doesn't seem likely to me.

I use "CCleaner" and "Defraggler" and the "Task Scheduler" still runs (although it constantly reports an error for an item which works correctly).

Check that the programs haven't been disabled in the CCleaner Startup list:
Tools > Startup > Scheduled Tasks tab.
Have you tried doing a "System Restore"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #3
Deman

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thx for the reply I don't think System Restore will help me seeing how I am probably having this problem for a year now but I just recently checked my task scheduler for the very first time.
These are the programs I have disabled
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Oct 2012   #4
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Deman View Post
Hi,

So I don't know when this: "the selected task "{0}" no longer exists. to see the current task, click refresh" error started but I don't know how to repair this.
When I start task scheduler I first get this error and than no matter what folder I click the error pops up again. After this 2nd error it doesn't pop up anymore but all the folders show up empty.

Tried fixes:
Emptying all task folders in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks
Download Fix My Task Scheduler 1.0 Free - Repair all Task Scheduler errors - Softpedia
/sfc scannow

Programs believed to cause this issue:
CCleaner
Defraggler

Sadly I have both

Please help! I really don't know how to fix this problem, and it causes some programs to not boot correctly. Like MSIafterburner gives an error, so I have to go to the config settings of MSIafterburner because it tries to boot using the taskscheduler really weird I know :/
The following fix has worked for others;

Inside the task scheduler:
1. Open the Task Scheduler Library.
2. Open Microsoft
3. Open Windows
4. Click on every folder until you get the code.
5. Open up "My Computer" and in address bar type (or copy and paste); C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\
6. Click on the folder that gave the error in the Task Scheduler
7. Delete what is INSIDE the folder....NOT the folder its self.
8. Go back to Task Scheduler and hopefully no error!

No guarantee that it works on all systems, but worth a try.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #5
Deman

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Hey I already tried this, I emptied every single task folder. And yet it gives me errors :/ Something is seriously broken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #6
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Deman View Post
Hey I already tried this, I emptied every single task folder. And yet it gives me errors :/ Something is seriously broken
I realize you empited "all" the folders, but have you gone back through them on a one by one basis and looked for the error. I was hoping that you might be able to narrow the search. However, I don't know if you will have anything in the folders after a total cleaning. That's why I used the disclaimer "No guarantees".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #7
Deman

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I forgot to mention. That every single taskscheduler file causes an error. So every folder which contains files with no extension at all cause errors. It's like the entire taskscheduler is corrupt.
Will it damage my pc if I empty them all and reboot my pc?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #8
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

I found this page. The fix that seemed to work was a repair install.

Error messege: the selected task "{0}" no longer - Microsoft Community
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #9
Deman

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Well before I attempt to repair install, I've singled out every broken task.
I ended up with this list of not working folders, some of the tasks in the folders did work but most didn't.

I will now attempt to reboot and see if my pc will ever reboot again. I put the backup on my usb incase I can't start it normally anymore.

I survived, however 2 new problems arrived.
On reboot my pc will create the following corrupt tasks everytime:
User_Feed_Synchronization-{49AE5D01-3C4D-4FE7-B538-AB9C87B3A5A6} in the folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks.
And SqmUpload_S-1-5-21-1453125175-1833634237-2929320845-1000 in the folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\WPD

How to stop them from being created/fix these tasks?

Edit: Solution to my question:
the user_feed file is created by IE, in the options it has a checkbox to keep RSS feeds up to date, unchecking this removes this task.
WPD task is done by Windows Media Player, where the checkbox is submitted that you send your usage experience to microsoft.

Now I have one more last question for you all, how to restore the tasks I removed? If not possible than this topic will be solved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 W7 64bits Task Scheduler, the selected task "{0}" no longer exists




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Task Scheduler - need help understaing "Conditions"
Hi *, So as the subject states I need help understanding how windows enumerate networks for "Conditions" listed under "Start only if following network connection is available". Firstly, let me say I understand that WiFi network names are listed there, but I see much more there which I can't map...
General Discussion
"Task scheduler" & where to find it?
Hi guys, I have been told that Windows 7 includes something called a Task scheduler and that I can get it to do things like running security scans automatically before the PC shuts down. Now, this may sound a bit strange but I can't find it. Mostly because I'm blind as a bat and the Computer...
General Discussion
the selected {0} task no longer exist, pl refresh
Hi, When i open the task scheduler, i get the error msg. that the selected {0} task no longer exist, pl refresh. What is the error and how to overcome. The solutions on the other forums have been tried but the same error repeats. It repeats for 3 times and i get the reading failed error. ...
General Discussion
Task Scheduler - Win 7 64-bit - problem running .bat file "Hello..."
Hi, I'm having a problem trying to automatically run a basic .bat file in task scheduler in windows 7 64-bit. I have more complicated .bat files to schedule but I can't get a simple one to run. This is the .bat file: @ECHO OFF ECHO hello there...
General Discussion
I cannot find Restore Points created "daily" with Task Scheduler.
Task Scheduler is setup to create restore points every day at midnight and at startup. It indicates that it runs successfully but those points do not show up in System Restore.
Backup and Restore
"My computer" no longer exists
I recently installed a problem called EnhanceMySe7en and tried a few tweaks however things didn't really turn out as I had planned. I made a system restore point before I made the changes, but then when I tried to restore it back, it says there were no points available ... Thats wierd coz I've...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App