Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 won't start, hangs on "Starting Windows" screen, no logo

06 Oct 2012   #31
Microsoft MVP

 

Try booting the installer and PW CD in another PC to see if they boot and work.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Oct 2012   #32

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Try booting the installer and PW CD in another PC to see if they boot and work.
Here was the update I posted, in case you didn't see it:

[UPDATE] So I tried partition wizard on the F3, same exact sequence of events, with it loading to a black screen with a bunch of white words. Also says "NET: Requested protocol family 1". Searching that on google gave me nothing. I tried the new repair disk on the F3 as well, and still stuck on "Starting Windows" no logo. I'm going to let it stay like that overnight, see if maybe it's just taking a super long time to load or something. If it is still stuck like that tomorrow, I'll try using the Seatools utility you gave me.

It looks like my plan to use PW to wipe the hard drives and do a clean install of Windows 7 won't work since PW won't even load. I'm going to see if I can borrow a clean hard drive from a friend and install Windows there, then attempt to use Partition Wizard to see if I can salvage the SSD or the F3.



In regards to testing the discs on another PC, they worked flawlessly. I guess I'll try switching out the drives to see if maybe my DVD drive is acting up. Will try tomorrow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2012   #33

Windows 7
 
 

Switched out the DVD drives, still didn't work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Oct 2012   #34
Microsoft MVP

 

What about writing a USB installer with the tool in Step 5 of Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot ?

If that fails use Universal USB Installer with Windows 7 in dropdown menu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2012   #35

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
What about writing a USB installer with the tool in Step 5 of Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot ?

If that fails use Universal USB Installer with Windows 7 in dropdown menu.
Sorry this is late. I don't have a spare USB at the moment to create a USB installer. I'm going to borrow a friend's hard drive today and install fresh Windows 7 to see if I can fix the mbr on those two drives.

Would this plan work:

-Remove all drives and plug in only blank drive
-Install Windows 7 on blank drive
-Plug in SSD with blank drive still installed
-Boot to Partition Wizard CD and repair MBR for SSD
-Repeat with F3

I'm not positive if those are the correct steps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2012   #36
Microsoft MVP

 

Why would you do those steps? They seem unnecessary.

You don't need to install to a blank drive to boot PW CD to repair SSD MBR. You still need to boot the PW CD, or Windows 7 installer from DVD or Flash stick, to try to repair Windows 7 or wipe the HD to reinstall it.

The problem is that you can't boot the disk so I would work on achieving that. Do these disks boot in another PC so you know they're good? There's a possibility the disks are burned incorrectly and aren't really bootable. Do you get a prompt to "Press any key" when you select them to boot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2012   #37

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Why would you do those steps? They seem unnecessary.

You don't need to install to a blank drive to boot PW CD to repair SSD MBR. You still need to boot the PW CD, or Windows 7 installer from DVD or Flash stick, to try to repair Windows 7 or wipe the HD to reinstall it.

The problem is that you can't boot the disk so I would work on achieving that. Do these disks boot in another PC so you know they're good? There's a possibility the disks are burned incorrectly and aren't really bootable. Do you get a prompt to "Press any key" when you select them to boot?
The disks are good. I've booted them in my other rig, and they started up just fine. I get the prompt "Press any key" and everything works after that.

I'm actually a little worried right now because I put in my new hard drive and stuck in the Windows CD and it (once again) hangs on "Starting Windows". I'm going to leave it like that and check again after dinner but it looks a little troublesome...

And I would love to wipe the SSD to reinstall, but I can't since Windows 7 or PW CD won't boot =/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2012   #38
Microsoft MVP

 

Then move the SSD to the other PC to wipe it using Diskpart Clean Command.

WHen you move it back to problem machine the known-good installer should boot itself on a wiped HD.

If this fails install to SSD on the other PC with its HD temporarily unplugged then SysPrep to move HD to another computer to adjust Windows 7 to start on new hardware.

Did you reset the BIOS to defaults? Is there a BIOS update?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #39

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Then move the SSD to the other PC to wipe it using Diskpart Clean Command.

WHen you move it back to problem machine the known-good installer should boot itself on a wiped HD.

If this fails install to SSD on the other PC with its HD temporarily unplugged then SysPrep to move HD to another computer to adjust Windows 7 to start on new hardware.

Did you reset the BIOS to defaults? Is there a BIOS update?
So the friend that gave me the blank hard drive recommended me to change the IDE mode to Legacy IDE and I did. I was able to repair the MBR for both my SSD and F3, and it looks fully functional (they're both up and running). S.M.A.R.T. readings from Speedfan says 33% good for the SSD and 97% for the F3. CrystalDiskInfo says 94% good for the SSD and just plain "good" for the F3.

From maker's HD diagnostics, I guess I'll have to use the Hitachi diagnostic for my drives, since Samsung isn't giving me anything. I'll run that test tomorrow
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #40

Windows 7
 
 

Okay, this is crazy. Running the Hitachi DFT tells me that my STORAGE drive is the one with an error. This drive has my games, and a couple of other movies downloaded to it. This is a Seagate 1TB drive. When I run Speedfan, it comes up with 0% good. I'm running windows 7 check disk on it now to see if it can be saved.

[Update] in the middle of the scan, windows 7 told me there were errors on the hard disk and that I needed to backup the data immediately. Is there no way to save the hard drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 won't start, hangs on "Starting Windows" screen, no logo




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33