Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hibernate won't completely shut down laptop

22 Sep 2009   #1
jonny

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Hibernate won't completely shut down laptop

Ok so when I had XP I would always use hibernate and only about once a week I would actually reboot the computer completely. Now that I have Windows 7 I would like to do the same. But now when I click hibernate the screen goes black and everything shuts off but the computer acts like its in standby. The lights are still on and computer is running. Once this happens I cannot get back into windows or reboot without holding down the power button to force a reset. Each time that I have done with Windows 7 boots an error saying the computer was not shutdown correctly. Anyone know why it won't completely power off when I click hibernate. I have tried it about 5 separate times and it has not worked once. Thanks. Jon.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Sep 2009   #2
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Did you install any Acer drivers, or did you let Windows find and install everything for you?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #3
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Just a suspicion, but check your network adapter settings. Go into device manager and open the device's properties. Under Power Management, make sure the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked. That's what the problem for me was. Keep us posted with any updates!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Sep 2009   #4
jonny

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
Did you install any Acer drivers, or did you let Windows find and install everything for you?
I installed only the ones I needed which were Video card, card reader, and sound I believe. My internal broadcom was one of the things that windows installed for me...


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan King View Post
Just a suspicion, but check your network adapter settings. Go into device manager and open the device's properties. Under Power Management, make sure the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked. That's what the problem for me was. Keep us posted with any updates!
My USB wifi adapter has the power management settings in device manager but my internal adapter has no tab for power management. I went to power options in control panel and on battery mode it is set to max power savings, and plugged in it was set to max performance. I have just switched it to low power savings to see if it allowed a tab to appear in device manager but nothing.

Any other ideas? loving this forum, have solved 2 of my problems so far. once I get everything running good, I will be formatting and reinstalling the drivers I need. I have tried all kinds of drivers and such for different things lol I just have a feeling there are a lot of junk files around that could cause a problem later on. thanks guys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #5
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I recommend going to Acer and downloading all of the drivers for your computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2009   #6
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonny View Post
Ok so when I had XP I would always use hibernate and only about once a week I would actually reboot the computer completely. Now that I have Windows 7 I would like to do the same. But now when I click hibernate the screen goes black and everything shuts off but the computer acts like its in standby. The lights are still on and computer is running. Once this happens I cannot get back into windows or reboot without holding down the power button to force a reset. Each time that I have done with Windows 7 boots an error saying the computer was not shutdown correctly. Anyone know why it won't completely power off when I click hibernate. I have tried it about 5 separate times and it has not worked once. Thanks. Jon.
Hi jonny,

In the advanced power options, you'll find something with hybrid mode.

Turn that off, and see if that helps.

Greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2009   #7
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonny View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan King View Post
Just a suspicion, but check your network adapter settings. Go into device manager and open the device's properties. Under Power Management, make sure the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked. That's what the problem for me was. Keep us posted with any updates!
My USB wifi adapter has the power management settings in device manager but my internal adapter has no tab for power management. I went to power options in control panel and on battery mode it is set to max power savings, and plugged in it was set to max performance. I have just switched it to low power savings to see if it allowed a tab to appear in device manager but nothing.
What meant is checking the settings on your Wifi adapter. That's what the problem was for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #8
enrobert

Windows 7
 
 

Hi Jonny.
I have the same problem like U the only diference was that hibernation worked ok for about one month and then stopped working. My solution was disabling and re-enabling hibernation. I used elevated command promt and command powercfg -h off for disabling hibernation and powercfg -h on for enabling hibernation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hibernate won't completely shut down laptop




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Shutting down freezes PC, won't shut down completely.
Hello users of the Seven Forums! About one year ago I've got this new PC, and I've never had any problems with shutting it down, but my PC decided it was about time to show some weird failure in completely turning off. Steps I take when shutting down: Start > Shut down > *Background...
Performance & Maintenance
Can't shut down completely
Hi, I'm having trouble shutting down PC completely.Windows and monitor turn off, but the fans are still working, especially that on of the video card. My config is: Windows 7 32-bit ASUS P5K GeForce 8600GTS TV Tuner card Phillips SAA7135 2GB DDR2 RAM Cooler Master 600W I've installed 8.1...
Drivers
My computer will not shut down or go into hibernate
Dear Forum, I am having issues where I have changed the time that the display goes to sleep on my computer. Yet it will never shut down completely. This is after a power surge that caused it to shut down. Everything is working fine apart from the settings not working. Attached are screen...
General Discussion
Shut down / Sleep / Hibernate ???
Please Someone Expain More Info For This 3 Mode ? Sleep Mode It's Same Shut down But Save Time For Startup Again But Use More Energy ? I'm Desktop PC
General Discussion
Shut Down or Hibernate?
My brother says he always puts his computer on Hibernate because it's much faster to boot up. However, I would like to know if this will cause any long term damage to my computer? If not, I may start Hibernating to shave off like 45 seconds in booting up. If so, I'll stick to Shutting Down.
General Discussion
build 7068 won't shut down, completely
Hello Everyone: I installed win7_x64 7068 in dual boot as the second operating system to Vista 64. It runs sweet, found some obscure drivers (like USB to serial),works with office, my AV and even does a good job with Fallout3. It wound shut down though, it hangs at "shutting down" and the cursor...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App