Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Will Only Boot if Boot Drive is the only Drive Plugged In

02 Nov 2012   #31
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
What do you mean you had to take it out of AHCI mode? Was WIn7 not installed in that mode? It really wouldn't change itself unless it was the default setting and the CMOS reset.
Sorry I should have been more specific, yes Windows was installed in AHCI mode, but in order for Seatools to recognized my drive it had to be in IDE mode. It passed that test, currently running chkdsk /r.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Nov 2012   #32
FuturDreamz

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)
 
 

Don't forget to switch it back. Windows doesn't like it when the mode is changed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2012   #33
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Okay I removed all my data I need off my drives, cleaned 3 of them (boot, Main and a 500gb to be safe). Then I made a partition on the ssd, made it active and primary, just like the steps outlined in the guide posted here:

"Step 2.2 here: SSD - HDD Optimize for Windows Reinstallation"

Windows appears to install successfully (only my SSD is plugged in during install and after the install). Then when the install reboots, all I get is a black screen, once I got "Disk read error, press ctrl-alt-delete to reboot". Windows was installed in AHCI mode. My install DVD is an iso image from MSDNAA, Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. Please help. I'm open to any options, I have all data backed up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Nov 2012   #34
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by k4show View Post
Okay I removed all my data I need off my drives, cleaned 3 of them (boot, Main and a 500gb to be safe). Then I made a partition on the ssd, made it active and primary, just like the steps outlined in the guide posted here:

"Step 2.2 here: SSD - HDD Optimize for Windows Reinstallation"

Windows appears to install successfully (only my SSD is plugged in during install and after the install). Then when the install reboots, all I get is a black screen, once I got "Disk read error, press ctrl-alt-delete to reboot". Windows was installed in AHCI mode. My install DVD is an iso image from MSDNAA, Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. Please help. I'm open to any options, I have all data backed up.
Does it boot OK now?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2012   #35
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

No it appears to be the same as before, only a black screen when I boot after my BIOS post. Drives are in AHCI mode and were installed that way. Only drive plugged in is my SSD. I once got a disk read error but on reboot that went away. I should also mention I'm running a crossfire setup for my GPU's with dual monitors, I don't think this is the issue since I can run the Windows install DVD just fine. This is starting to get frustrating.

EDIT: I removed the second card, and let it boot off a single GPU, single monitor, still nothing appears on the screen except a flashing underscore for a split second after the bios logo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2012   #36
FuturDreamz

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)
 
 

Is it possible you're experiencing a drive failure?
Was the SSD ever used in an Intel RST setup?
Are you using UEFI or BIOS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2012   #37
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by k4show View Post
No it appears to be the same as before, only a black screen when I boot after my BIOS post. Drives are in AHCI mode and were installed that way. Only drive plugged in is my SSD. I once got a disk read error but on reboot that went away. I should also mention I'm running a crossfire setup for my GPU's with dual monitors, I don't think this is the issue since I can run the Windows install DVD just fine. This is starting to get frustrating.

EDIT: I removed the second card, and let it boot off a single GPU, single monitor, still nothing appears on the screen except a flashing underscore for a split second after the bios logo.
Just to confirm, your BIOS is set for the DVD to be first in the boot order and the SSD is the second in line, correct?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2012   #38
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FuturDreamz View Post
Is it possible you're experiencing a drive failure?
Was the SSD ever used in an Intel RST setup?
Are you using UEFI or BIOS?
1. It passed the seatools extended test.
2. No I haven't I only have a P67 motherboard.
3. I have a MSI P67-G43, it has a UEFI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2012   #39
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by k4show View Post
No it appears to be the same as before, only a black screen when I boot after my BIOS post. Drives are in AHCI mode and were installed that way. Only drive plugged in is my SSD. I once got a disk read error but on reboot that went away. I should also mention I'm running a crossfire setup for my GPU's with dual monitors, I don't think this is the issue since I can run the Windows install DVD just fine. This is starting to get frustrating.

EDIT: I removed the second card, and let it boot off a single GPU, single monitor, still nothing appears on the screen except a flashing underscore for a split second after the bios logo.
Just to confirm, your BIOS is set for the DVD to be first in the boot order and the SSD is the second in line, correct?
Yes it is set in the proper order.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2012   #40
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Could my SSD be bad? It passed Seatools so I had thought it was fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Will Only Boot if Boot Drive is the only Drive Plugged In




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 has swapped my drive paths with my boot drive and sec. drive
I have just finished a pc build with a SSD to be used as the boot/OS drive and a secondary 2 HDD setup in raid 0 for storage. First I started with the SSD only and installed win7, applied all the updates etc. At this point the system has rebooted at least half a dozen times with no issue. ...
Installation & Setup
Removed Win 7 drive- plugged into 3.0 USB but won't boot
My HP laptop died but the drive worked. I removed the drive, bought an adaptor to plug it into my USB 3.0 port on my new HP G7 2269wm laptop. It has Win 7 Home Premium but won't boot up on my new computer even though I change the bios to select the port. I don't want to install a new Win 7 over...
General Discussion
New Boot Drive. Help Confirming Boot Drive is Running Windows.
I am new and bad at computers, please take that into consideration. I installed a new SSD and then mirrored my old HDD onto the SSD. I then made the SSD my Boot Drive in Disk Management. I am a little unclear about the ramifications. First, does making the SSD my Boot Drive mean that my...
Hardware & Devices
Will not boot if more than one hard drive plugged in.
I had to do some serious reinstall things. Processor died, had to put in a newer...used one. I checked my ... BIOS/Setup thing, and there was not IDE or Sata choosing for boot order. I have it set up as 1. dvd rom 2. hard drive 3 and 4 are disabled. Everything worked FINE before I put in...
Hardware & Devices
Moved boot manager, 7 drive still refuses to boot without old drive.
I've been trying all day to get to a point where I can format my old hard drive (D). I found out today that, in its infinite wisdom, the Windows 7 installer put the boot manager on a completely separate drive from my new drive (C), the one I selected for installation. Windows 7 is totally...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows does not boot when USB stick/flash disk drive is plugged in
Hi, I am the happy owner of a Windows 7 computer, which functions as sort of a home entertainment and storage machine. Recently I started encrypting all of the data drives with BitLocker to prevent an eventual thief from gaining access to our personal files. As my motherboard doesn't have a TPM...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App