Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Will Only Boot if Boot Drive is the only Drive Plugged In

18 Oct 2012   #1
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
Windows 7 Will Only Boot if Boot Drive is the only Drive Plugged In

I have a Windows 7 install on a 60gb SSD (assigned to C: in Windows), and a 3 other drives just for storage, and programs. Windows will only boot if the SSD is the only one plugged in. BCD lists this as my only entry, and is calling the C: drive to boot.
However when I load my Windows cd, this drive is assigned to E: when all my other drives are plugged in. I'm not sure why its doing this, but could this be the problem and is there a way to fix it?
Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Oct 2012   #2
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

We need to see a screenshot of your Disk Managment. Click on the Windows button in the lower left of your screen and type on the space above the button "Disk Management" without the quotes and hit enter. The Disk Management will pop up. Expand the columns so we can read all of the print. Use your Snipping Tool to post a screenshot of the Disk Management as described in this tutorial Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2012   #3
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
We need to see a screenshot of your Disk Managment. Click on the Windows button in the lower left of your screen and type on the space above the button "Disk Management" without the quotes and hit enter. The Disk Management will pop up. Expand the columns so we can read all of the print. Use your Snipping Tool to post a screenshot of the Disk Management as described in this tutorial Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
I have all my drives unplugged right now to boot in, with them plugged in I may not be able to boot. I will try though and report back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Oct 2012   #4
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by k4show View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
We need to see a screenshot of your Disk Managment. Click on the Windows button in the lower left of your screen and type on the space above the button "Disk Management" without the quotes and hit enter. The Disk Management will pop up. Expand the columns so we can read all of the print. Use your Snipping Tool to post a screenshot of the Disk Management as described in this tutorial Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
I have all my drives unplugged right now to boot in, with them plugged in I may not be able to boot. I will try though and report back.
If you can't boot with them plugged in, boot with them unplugged, plug them in and make your screenshot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2012   #5
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by k4show View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
We need to see a screenshot of your Disk Managment. Click on the Windows button in the lower left of your screen and type on the space above the button "Disk Management" without the quotes and hit enter. The Disk Management will pop up. Expand the columns so we can read all of the print. Use your Snipping Tool to post a screenshot of the Disk Management as described in this tutorial Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
I have all my drives unplugged right now to boot in, with them plugged in I may not be able to boot. I will try though and report back.
If you can't boot with them plugged in, boot with them unplugged, plug them in and make your screenshot.
Is it safe to do that? I have hot-swap turned on in my bios.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2012   #6
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Here is my disk manager, and here is my boot setup.

Quote:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
default {20b1cbf3-18f0-11e2-a2fe-aeed74ca9e4f}
displayorder {20b1cbf3-18f0-11e2-a2fe-aeed74ca9e4f}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {20b1cbf3-18f0-11e2-a2fe-aeed74ca9e4f}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7 Professional
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {d16ab8d2-1970-11e2-84f3-806e6f6e6963}


Attached Thumbnails
-diskman.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2012   #7
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

It looks like Disks 3 and 4 were former System disks which held smaller boot partitions at the beginning, then afterwards they were not wiped of boot code or even deleted before reformatting for data.

As a result you have the risk of stray boot code interfering at boot from those data drives, and you also have a Dynamic Disk on Disk 3 which is only meant to span a partition across multiple HD's.

To resolve this I would move the data off of each to wipe it with Diskpart Clean Command then repartition in Disk Mgmt: Partition or Volume - Create New

Once you've done this post back another screenshot and how it boots now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2012   #8
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Ok, will do. Thanks for the quick responses!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2012   #9
k4show

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Okay update:

I've had it booting for the last few weeks fine (a few times it didn't booting into an ubuntu live cd alone fixed it). Now it won't even boot at all even with just my boot drive plugged in. There is only a black screen on boot up, hitting F8 for safe mode doesn't do anything. Windows startup repair doesn't find a problem and my BCDEDIT appears correct, however rebuildbcd doesn't find any instance of Windows 7.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2012   #10
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Disk 3 is Dynamic. Take it out and see if you can boot OK.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Will Only Boot if Boot Drive is the only Drive Plugged In




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 has swapped my drive paths with my boot drive and sec. drive
I have just finished a pc build with a SSD to be used as the boot/OS drive and a secondary 2 HDD setup in raid 0 for storage. First I started with the SSD only and installed win7, applied all the updates etc. At this point the system has rebooted at least half a dozen times with no issue. ...
Installation & Setup
Removed Win 7 drive- plugged into 3.0 USB but won't boot
My HP laptop died but the drive worked. I removed the drive, bought an adaptor to plug it into my USB 3.0 port on my new HP G7 2269wm laptop. It has Win 7 Home Premium but won't boot up on my new computer even though I change the bios to select the port. I don't want to install a new Win 7 over...
General Discussion
New Boot Drive. Help Confirming Boot Drive is Running Windows.
I am new and bad at computers, please take that into consideration. I installed a new SSD and then mirrored my old HDD onto the SSD. I then made the SSD my Boot Drive in Disk Management. I am a little unclear about the ramifications. First, does making the SSD my Boot Drive mean that my...
Hardware & Devices
Will not boot if more than one hard drive plugged in.
I had to do some serious reinstall things. Processor died, had to put in a newer...used one. I checked my ... BIOS/Setup thing, and there was not IDE or Sata choosing for boot order. I have it set up as 1. dvd rom 2. hard drive 3 and 4 are disabled. Everything worked FINE before I put in...
Hardware & Devices
Moved boot manager, 7 drive still refuses to boot without old drive.
I've been trying all day to get to a point where I can format my old hard drive (D). I found out today that, in its infinite wisdom, the Windows 7 installer put the boot manager on a completely separate drive from my new drive (C), the one I selected for installation. Windows 7 is totally...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows does not boot when USB stick/flash disk drive is plugged in
Hi, I am the happy owner of a Windows 7 computer, which functions as sort of a home entertainment and storage machine. Recently I started encrypting all of the data drives with BitLocker to prevent an eventual thief from gaining access to our personal files. As my motherboard doesn't have a TPM...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App