Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What causes this error?

28 Oct 2012   #1
irbullet

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
What causes this error?

I recently booted up my moms laptop because she was having issues and it said
"BOOT MGR MISSING"
I had to compeltly rebuild the boot manager file through a recovery disk via command prompt.
What causes this error? Last night it was updating through windows update.
The OS is Windows Vista.
It is fixed now, but I'd like to know why to make sure it doesn't happen again.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Oct 2012   #2
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

The three most common reasons that I'm aware of (other Forum members may jump in with other reasons) are malware, bad sectors on the hard drive, and changing or deleting the system partition on the hard drive (usually the C: partition.)

Assuming nobody deliberately repartitioned the hard drive, I'd do some thorough antimalware scans. Since no antimalware product is 100% effective 100% of the time these free on-demand scanners are highly recommended:

Malwarebytes

ESET Online Scanner

Windows Defender Offline

If the scans come back clean I'd next run check disk. I'd want to run the full scan which will attempt to fix errors and recover bad sectors.

Disk Check

I'd also check for damaged or corrupt system files by running a system file checker scan from an elevated command prompt (option two.) If problems are found, run the scan 3 times and reboot the computer after each scan.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

NOTE: The check disk and SFC procedures should be the same for Vista as they are for Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2012   #3
irbullet

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
The three most common reasons that I'm aware of (other Forum members may jump in with other reasons) are malware, bad sectors on the hard drive, and changing or deleting the system partition on the hard drive (usually the C: partition.)

Assuming nobody deliberately repartitioned the hard drive, I'd do some thorough antimalware scans. Since no antimalware product is 100% effective 100% of the time these free on-demand scanners are highly recommended:

Malwarebytes

ESET Online Scanner

Windows Defender Offline

If the scans come back clean I'd next run check disk. I'd want to run the full scan which will attempt to fix errors and recover bad sectors.

Disk Check

I'd also check for damaged or corrupt system files by running a system file checker scan from an elevated command prompt (option two.) If problems are found, run the scan 3 times and reboot the computer after each scan.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

NOTE: The check disk and SFC procedures should be the same for Vista as they are for Windows 7.
It is fixed now, it has messed up TWICE, and I've had to reinstall vista 3 times since we got the computer.
It may be the hard drive. I might go and buy her a ssd and surprise her with it.
This is her work laptop. She needs it working at full potential.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Oct 2012   #4
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by irbullet View Post
It is fixed now, it has messed up TWICE, and I've had to reinstall vista 3 times since we got the computer.
It may be the hard drive. I might go and buy her a ssd and surprise her with it.
This is her work laptop. She needs it working at full potential.
Glad to hear you've got it fixed. For the benefit of others who may read this thread, what did you do to fix the computer? Another reinstall of Vista? Run check disk? Something else? I tend to agree with you that the hard drive may be failing. Especially considering the number of times you've done a reinstall. If you haven't already done so, I'd backup everything and then perhaps run a diagnostic check on that drive. The diagnostic check stresses the hard drive. If the drive is already failing the added stress could push it over the edge. Many people recommend SeaTools for Windows as it will work on any brand drive. Another tool is HDDScan. Both are free.

SeaTools | Seagate

HDDScan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2012   #5
irbullet

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by irbullet View Post
It is fixed now, it has messed up TWICE, and I've had to reinstall vista 3 times since we got the computer.
It may be the hard drive. I might go and buy her a ssd and surprise her with it.
This is her work laptop. She needs it working at full potential.
Glad to hear you've got it fixed. For the benefit of others who may read this thread, what did you do to fix the computer? Another reinstall of Vista? Run check disk? Something else? I tend to agree with you that the hard drive may be failing. Especially considering the number of times you've done a reinstall. If you haven't already done so, I'd backup everything and then perhaps run a diagnostic check on that drive. The diagnostic check stresses the hard drive. If the drive is already failing the added stress could push it over the edge. Many people recommend SeaTools for Windows as it will work on any brand drive. Another tool is HDDScan. Both are free.

SeaTools | Seagate

HDDScan
I had to get the recovery disk and rebuild the boot mgr manually via command prompt
The tutorial is on another site. Don't know if I can post it or not here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What causes this error?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Burnt out from error error error! Time to go back to Paper.
Hello there. I have been redirected here by jamanji, whom has been most helpful by the way. My PC crashed a little over a week ago. Rather than retype everything, I would like to give you the link to my post. I am not 'Tech' per se, but I would like to try and resolve my problem myself, To...
System Security
Error 41, Error 1001 and error 6008.
Hello there. Recently my computer have just randomly shutdown meanwhile i'm playing games like CS;GO, League of Legends. The screen will just turn black and it will start to make one hell of annoying noise untill it reboots. I've updated all my drivers. Tested my memory. Tested my RAM. Run a...
BSOD Help and Support
Error copying file: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). CRC Scan ?
Edit: Think my hard drive may be failing and was the cause of my file synchronizing crash. I use it mostly to stream music and video and access the hard drive a lot. Any advice thanks HDDStatus - Tool to check hard disk status, health and reliability Hey, I've been using GoodSync for the...
Backup and Restore
BSOD by ntoskrnl.exe, error d1, error 3b, error 1a
I've just install windows 7 home premium 64bit and got 4 times of BSOD. for the first time error code is 0x0000001a for the 2nd time error code is 0x0000003b for the 3rd time error code is 0x0000003b for the 4th time error code is 0x000000d1 I also attach minidump files and text files that...
BSOD Help and Support
Scan Error Error while Scan::0::LEAD Error: Twain source manager no
hi.... i have promblme , i do not know how to fix it.. i have kodak scnners i1220 plus i have RD Web Access the promblme is.. I have a system based on Oracle has been connted with one scanners( i connected with scanners) When i do a scan shows me this a message (Scan Error Error while...
Hardware & Devices
BSOD error.. Restarts, but power button stays on, graphics card error?
Hey guys, i want to thank you ahead of time for helping me. This BSOD is a pain in the butt. Intel Pentium 2.8GHZ RAM 3.5 32 bit OS Intel GG965 Express Chipset Family I have already reinstalled the operating system multiple times, i think its a faulty graphics card, but i want to be...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App