Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Not able to boot. no help from system recovery or restore points

04 Nov 2012   #11
EmDubYa

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Sorry Greg I didn't realize that the recovery disc and repair disc were two different things. The advanced boot options are of also no benefit atm. Sorry if I don't seem like I'm wanting to help myself by reading your suggested threads, I just wanted to provide as much info as possible pertaining to my problem. But thank you so much for the assistance!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Nov 2012   #12
EmDubYa

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

So today I had a technician at my university look at it. Of course, I had to check my laptop in and whatnot, but they called me back once I got to my dorm. The mouthpiece, as I like to call her, informed me that the technician said that he was trying to boot up under a different OS and extracting my data, but that wasn't working. I was then asked by the mouthpiece if I wanted to just clean install, obviously all my info would be lost. I said, "Let me think about that, and then I'll call you back." So, I deliberated and called them back when she then told me that the reinstall couldn't be done. Somehow, I asked the question of how much longer my hard drive had left and she went to ask the technician. She reported back to me and said that it had 3-4 years left. I said well just do the reinstall and get it overwith. She then said that there was a problem with my hard drive, and that it needed to be replaced, and that it wouldn't boot up until it was. I'm confused how the hard drive could be good for another 3-4 years yet not allow me to use my computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2012   #13
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EmDubYa View Post
Sorry Greg I didn't realize that the recovery disc and repair disc were two different things. The advanced boot options are of also no benefit atm. Sorry if I don't seem like I'm wanting to help myself by reading your suggested threads, I just wanted to provide as much info as possible pertaining to my problem. But thank you so much for the assistance!
recovery environment and repair disc are the same!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Nov 2012   #14
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EmDubYa View Post
So today I had a technician at my university look at it. Of course, I had to check my laptop in and whatnot, but they called me back once I got to my dorm. The mouthpiece, as I like to call her, informed me that the technician said that he was trying to boot up under a different OS and extracting my data, but that wasn't working. I was then asked by the mouthpiece if I wanted to just clean install, obviously all my info would be lost. I said, "Let me think about that, and then I'll call you back." So, I deliberated and called them back when she then told me that the reinstall couldn't be done. Somehow, I asked the question of how much longer my hard drive had left and she went to ask the technician. She reported back to me and said that it had 3-4 years left. I said well just do the reinstall and get it overwith. She then said that there was a problem with my hard drive, and that it needed to be replaced, and that it wouldn't boot up until it was. I'm confused how the hard drive could be good for another 3-4 years yet not allow me to use my computer?
replace harddisk? resinstall can't be done? unable to save your data?

What the heck happened!!??? System was booting when you gave it to them. At least it found some files. They're talking shit.... unless harddrive went faulty on transport to them
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2012   #15
gregrocker

 

I gave you all of the steps needed to rescue your data and try everything possible to Repair the OS, even diagnose your HD if indicated. We can still help you do these things if you can get the PC back from the Repair Maw in one piece.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
recovery disc and repair disc are the same!
A Recovery Disk set is used only to restore an OEM PC to factory condition. Most need to made by the owner, ideally when setting up the PC.

A System Repair Disk is a Win7 boot disk used to run Repairs when the OS will not boot, including Startup Repair, System Restore, Windows Memory Diagnostics, or System Image Recovery from a stored backup image.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2012   #16
EmDubYa

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EmDubYa View Post
So today I had a technician at my university look at it. Of course, I had to check my laptop in and whatnot, but they called me back once I got to my dorm. The mouthpiece, as I like to call her, informed me that the technician said that he was trying to boot up under a different OS and extracting my data, but that wasn't working. I was then asked by the mouthpiece if I wanted to just clean install, obviously all my info would be lost. I said, "Let me think about that, and then I'll call you back." So, I deliberated and called them back when she then told me that the reinstall couldn't be done. Somehow, I asked the question of how much longer my hard drive had left and she went to ask the technician. She reported back to me and said that it had 3-4 years left. I said well just do the reinstall and get it overwith. She then said that there was a problem with my hard drive, and that it needed to be replaced, and that it wouldn't boot up until it was. I'm confused how the hard drive could be good for another 3-4 years yet not allow me to use my computer?
replace harddisk? resinstall can't be done? unable to save your data?

What the heck happened!!??? System was booting when you gave it to them. At least it found some files. They're talking shit.... unless harddrive went faulty on transport to them
I had a morning class, and took it with me, but it wasn't slung around and I carried it in my laptop bag. Unless they just go faulty for no apparent reason, but I think they're talking out of their asses. Then again, I'm not big into computers so I'm not totally sure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2012   #17
EmDubYa

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

And greg, it looks like I'll just have to follow your suggested tutorials and see if I can do this myself. I guess if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself...or at least try to anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2012   #18
gregrocker

 

Good. First thing to do is to boot into BIOS setup to see if HD is listed under Storage devices. Do this by tapping the key given on first screen for BIOS setup or similar.

Next boot the PC and report back what it says exactly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2012   #19
EmDubYa

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Good. First thing to do is to boot into BIOS setup to see if HD is listed under Storage devices. Do this by tapping the key given on first screen for BIOS setup or similar.

Next boot the PC and report back what it says exactly.
I'll definitely get on that when I get back to my dorm. Had to go to another part of campus to use their computers for a research paper and to update you guys. And I believe my BIOS settings our F2, but I'll know for sure in a bit! Thanks once again!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2012   #20
EmDubYa

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Like I said, I'm not very computer saavy so please bare with me. So I opened BIOS and didn't specifically see storage devices, but it listed my SATA ports?
SATA Port 1 - [ST9750400A5-(S1)]
SATA Port 2 - [None]
SATA Port 3 -[None]
SATA Port 4 - [TSSTcorpCDDVDW TS-L]

And in boot order it listed USB HDD first while the IDE HDD as second, and I could continue if need be?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Not able to boot. no help from system recovery or restore points




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Allocated System Restore space holds far fewer restore points now
I have 8gb of space allocated to System Restore, all monitoring my C partition only. This space is always at least 85-90% used according to the System Protection screen. In the past I have had at least 15 restore points to choose from after ticking "show more restore points." But today I went to...
Backup and Restore
System restore points saved to recovery partition, possible damage?
Hello, I have done a good bit of searching around the internet about system protection monitoring on recovery partitions. It seems that by default system protection was turned on for the recovery partition of my laptop and many restore points have been saved to the recovery partition. I only...
Backup and Restore
Recovery partition created - suitable restore points now unavailable
My new notebook, running Windows 7, crashed 90 minutes after first boot and created a recovery partition. (Affects C:\ drive only. No programs or drivers were being installed. Starts up OK & is functional). Restore points are now unavailable from the time before partition was created. When a...
Backup and Restore
Can I Pause/Turn off System Restore WITHOUT losing restore points?
I work with a large software suite. The installer for this suite is really just a collection of many stand-alone installers. If SR is on when I run the installation, it takes a very long time. Additionally, since this is a collection of other installers, SR is somewhat useless to use as a...
Backup and Restore
System restore points deleted on Win 7 in dual boot with XP
Because of the differences in the system restore technologies between windows 7 and windows XP, when booting out of XP and into Win 7 Pro the Win 7 restore points will have been deleted. My scenareo is XP - original system on first physical disk (boot loaders are here) and Win 7 on third physical...
Backup and Restore
Can I use this to restore my boot from System Image Recovery ?
Hi guys, I have a problem with my Win7 x64 installation. I have played with a Playstation3 HDD and I have really screwed my win7 partition table. I have tried booting with the setup dvd and tried everything there (startup repair, bootfix from cmd, etc) but nothing seems to work. I have...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App