Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't open any folder and start menu quicklinks wiped

06 Nov 2012   #1
Zessfar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Can't open any folder and start menu quicklinks wiped

I woke up this morning to find out that my computer had a BSOD crash. But this time I couldn't check what had happened the debugger crashed itself before I could look at it. I also found out that my desktop had been reorganized so it was only in columns on the left side of the desktop. Also my recent programs area under the start menu had been wiped. Whenever I try to open any folder I get server execution failed. I have already tried the registry fixes suggested here. Server Execution failed I am unsure what to change, but it seems like my problem is a bit more than just a simple registry problem.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Nov 2012   #2
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zessfar View Post
I woke up this morning to find out that my computer had a BSOD crash. But this time I couldn't check what had happened the debugger crashed itself before I could look at it. I also found out that my desktop had been reorganized so it was only in columns on the left side of the desktop. Also my recent programs area under the start menu had been wiped. Whenever I try to open any folder I get server execution failed. I have already tried the registry fixes suggested here. Server Execution failed I am unsure what to change, but it seems like my problem is a bit more than just a simple registry problem.
Have you scanned with an anti-virus and anti-malware program? If not, I would suggest it as a starting point. If so, which one(s) did you use?

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2012   #3
Zessfar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I wasn't able to run any anti-virus or anti-malware before my computer blue screen again before I got home from school. But when it started up again the problem went away. I'm almost certain that i have some even worse problem, but I don't know what to look for
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Nov 2012   #4
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zessfar View Post
I wasn't able to run any anti-virus or anti-malware before my computer blue screen again before I got home from school. But when it started up again the problem went away. I'm almost certain that i have some even worse problem, but I don't know what to look for
Did you try scanning once the computer started up?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2012   #5
Zessfar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I was in the middle of scanning with malwarebytes when it blue screened when i left the room to watch the election news, but my computer automatically reset so I'm not sure what the BSOD error was.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2012   #6
Zessfar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I was scanning again and bluescreened twice, but I managed to see what happened this time.
the first one was IRQL_NOT_LESS_ THAN_EQUAL
and the second one was PAGE _FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2012   #7
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zessfar View Post
I was scanning again and bluescreened twice, but I managed to see what happened this time.
the first one was IRQL_NOT_LESS_ THAN_EQUAL
and the second one was PAGE _FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Check the following link for information regarding the page fault;

Error Message:

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #8
Cracker Zinga

Windows XP, Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Did you install any Software before that? YES... UNINSTALL THAT PROGRAM "
RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AFTER YOU SEE BLACK SCREEN PRESS F8. THIS WILL GIVE A LOT OF OPTIONS :
1- CHOOSE LAST KNOWN CONFIGURATION " OK... I AM GOING TO ASSUME THAT YOU DIDN'T SUCCEED IN FIRST ATTEMPT"
2- REPEAT THIS OPTION "RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AFTER YOU SEE BLACK SCREEN PRESS F8" CHOOSE START IN SAFEMODE COMMAND LINE" THEN RUN THIS COMMAND "SFC /SCANNOW" "MAY YOU SEE THIS MSJ " Found problems but it couldn't be fix" don't worry about it" Run again the same command "SFC /SCANNOW" 3 or 4 times... may you see the same msj "Found problems but it couldn't be fix". AFTER ALL RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. IN THIS CASE YOU'LL SEE SOMETHING DIFFERENT "
4-THIS IS YOUR HOPE... GET LIVECD >=2011 THERE WILL FIND 2 || MORE ANTIVIRUS AND RUN EACH ONE OF THEM... YOU'LL FIND SOME TROJAN LIKE BOOTLOADER, *.DLL, ?32*.EXE
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #9
Zessfar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I checked the page fault webpage for both of the errors. I remembered I put a laptop hard drive in my computer to for a file paging hard drive but apparently it was failing, so i reverted the file paging to my main hard drive, and i havent crashed yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #10
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zessfar View Post
I checked the page fault webpage for both of the errors. I remembered I put a laptop hard drive in my computer to for a file paging hard drive but apparently it was failing, so i reverted the file paging to my main hard drive, and i havent crashed yet.
Glad you got the problem resolved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't open any folder and start menu quicklinks wiped




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Start Menu User Folder Buttons - Open to Users Instead of Libraries
How to Make Windows 7 Start Menu User Folder Buttons Open to Users Instead of Libraries Location This will show you how to make the Windows 7 Start Menu My Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos buttons open to the real C:\Users\(user-name) location instead of the default Libraries location for...
Tutorials
Can't open .exe, cmd, start menu... basically anything
Hello. I can't open any .exe. I just can't. No error at all. Windows + R, cmd, "no such interface supported" Windows + R, regedit, "no such interface supported" Try to open a software on Start Menu (Start8) "this file does not have a program associated with it for perfoming this action..." ...
General Discussion
Start Menu wont stay open!!!!
Hi guys Ive got a big problem since 2 days.. When i try open the Start menu and search for something my Start menu close immediately and when i try to open "run" my start menu close and nothing happens... Also my Windows is flickering... Please help me i reinstalled Windows 7 and i looked...
BSOD Help and Support
Start Menu: Custom Folder Menu
Hello, I've been searching around, and failed to find a post with an answer. I'm currently trying to figure out wether I can create a custom map, and make it a menu which is able to expand like the "Getting Started" menu. I have my folder "Microsoft Office" with shortcuts with all the...
Customization
How do I add a new folder to Start menu?
I would like to rearrange the Start folder and add some new folders to my liking then move existing ones into the new ones. In pPrevious versions of Windows it was easy but haven't found a way to add a new folder - anyone know how to do this? Regards, GEWB
Customization
Can I Pin a Folder to the Start Menu?
Hello, I hope you are well. With the additional of Jump Lists, I see a lot of potential for new things. Right now, I am hoping we can somehow pin a folder to the Start Menu. For example, after installing Microsoft Office, a folder is automatically created with applications such as Microsoft...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App