Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: "Windows failed to start"


07 Nov 2012   #1

Windows 7
 
 
"Windows failed to start"

Hey,
I'd had some problem with my laptop the last few days, what I believed to have happened is my laptop (Dell inspiron n5110) which is windows 7, was doing a configuration, but because of my bad connection, my internet dropped. It was stuck at 15% for 3 hours so I turned it off as it was about to run out of battery. It had some problems loading and starting up but they went after a day. but 1 day later I am booting up and I get a black screen which read;
...................................
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer
2. Choose your language settings and then click "next"
3. Click "repair your computer"

File:/boot/BCD
status: 0xc000014c
Info: An unexpected error has occured while attempting to read the boot configuartion data.
......................
If I click on Enter it just repeats.
I dont have the disk either
Any help would be great!
(F8 doesnt do anything)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Nov 2012   #2
Microsoft MVP

 

Work through these steps for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

They work up to if necessary rescuiing your files to run Dell Windows 7 PC Restore
or get the superior Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 with everything needed in the link.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Work through these steps for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

They work up to if necessary rescuiing your files to run Dell Windows 7 PC Restore
or get the superior Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 with everything needed in the link.
Unforunately F8 doesnt do anything. When i start up it goes to a Dell spiration loading screen, with only the option to press f2 (Setup) or f12 (boot options)
I have checked both of them, non of them help. (the link tells me to press F8)
Also its not an infection
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Nov 2012   #4

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Hi,

Kindly confirm if Hard Drive is recognized in BIOS. If yes, follow next step. If NO, load BIOS defaults. After that follow the STEP 3 from the URL mentioned: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_362066&isLegacy=true

If the issue still persists, then try running the Hardware Diagnostics. If you get any error code, make a note of the error code.

If nothing works out then send me the Service Tag, your full name and your contact number in the Private Message only and will check what best I can do for you. Kindly do not post those details in the open forum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ollie8000 View Post
Hey,
I'd had some problem with my laptop the last few days, what I believed to have happened is my laptop (Dell inspiron n5110) which is windows 7, was doing a configuration, but because of my bad connection, my internet dropped. It was stuck at 15% for 3 hours so I turned it off as it was about to run out of battery. It had some problems loading and starting up but they went after a day. but 1 day later I am booting up and I get a black screen which read;
...................................
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer
2. Choose your language settings and then click "next"
3. Click "repair your computer"

File:/boot/BCD
status: 0xc000014c
Info: An unexpected error has occured while attempting to read the boot configuartion data.
......................
If I click on Enter it just repeats.
I dont have the disk either
Any help would be great!
(F8 doesnt do anything)
pc can find active partition and loads bootmgr. Bootmgr finds a corrupt bootmenu.

Boot into recovery environment System Recovery Options OPTION TWO
enter command prompt there. Then

Code:
diskpart
list  vol
exit
what are the volume letters? (don't count the dvd stuff!)
assume C and D and E
then do:
Code:
chkdsk/f  c:
chkdsk/f  d:
chkdsk/f  e:
all volumes have no error?
Code:
attrib  c:\boot\bcd
attrib  d:\boot\bcd
attrib  e:\boot\bcd
Where is that file, so on C or D (or both)? or even on E?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #6

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Debbie B View Post
Hi,

Kindly confirm if Hard Drive is recognized in BIOS. If yes, follow next step. If NO, load BIOS defaults. After that follow the STEP 3 from the URL mentioned: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_362066&isLegacy=true

If the issue still persists, then try running the Hardware Diagnostics. If you get any error code, make a note of the error code.

If nothing works out then send me the Service Tag, your full name and your contact number in the Private Message only and will check what best I can do for you. Kindly do not post those details in the open forum.
Thanks for replying, I am not sure what you mean by checking bios working, i've put a usb in and it has lighten up if thats what you mean. I have done all diagnostic tests but all have passed. i even tried advanced hard drive 0 but still nothing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #7

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ollie8000 View Post
Hey,
I'd had some problem with my laptop the last few days, what I believed to have happened is my laptop (Dell inspiron n5110) which is windows 7, was doing a configuration, but because of my bad connection, my internet dropped. It was stuck at 15% for 3 hours so I turned it off as it was about to run out of battery. It had some problems loading and starting up but they went after a day. but 1 day later I am booting up and I get a black screen which read;
...................................
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer
2. Choose your language settings and then click "next"
3. Click "repair your computer"

File:/boot/BCD
status: 0xc000014c
Info: An unexpected error has occured while attempting to read the boot configuartion data.
......................
If I click on Enter it just repeats.
I dont have the disk either
Any help would be great!
(F8 doesnt do anything)
pc can find active partition and loads bootmgr. Bootmgr finds a corrupt bootmenu.

Boot into recovery environment System Recovery Options OPTION TWO
enter command prompt there. Then

Code:
diskpart
list  vol
exit
what are the volume letters? (don't count the dvd stuff!)
assume C and D and E
then do:
Code:
chkdsk/f  c:
chkdsk/f  d:
chkdsk/f  e:
all volumes have no error?
Code:
attrib  c:\boot\bcd
attrib  d:\boot\bcd
attrib  e:\boot\bcd
Where is that file, so on C or D (or both)? or even on E?
I dont have the disk to do that im affraid
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ollie8000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ollie8000 View Post
Hey,
I'd had some problem with my laptop the last few days, what I believed to have happened is my laptop (Dell inspiron n5110) which is windows 7, was doing a configuration, but because of my bad connection, my internet dropped. It was stuck at 15% for 3 hours so I turned it off as it was about to run out of battery. It had some problems loading and starting up but they went after a day. but 1 day later I am booting up and I get a black screen which read;
...................................
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer
2. Choose your language settings and then click "next"
3. Click "repair your computer"

File:/boot/BCD
status: 0xc000014c
Info: An unexpected error has occured while attempting to read the boot configuartion data.
......................
If I click on Enter it just repeats.
I dont have the disk either
Any help would be great!
(F8 doesnt do anything)
pc can find active partition and loads bootmgr. Bootmgr finds a corrupt bootmenu.

Boot into recovery environment System Recovery Options OPTION TWO
enter command prompt there. Then

Code:
diskpart
list  vol
exit
what are the volume letters? (don't count the dvd stuff!)
assume C and D and E
then do:
Code:
chkdsk/f  c:
chkdsk/f  d:
chkdsk/f  e:
all volumes have no error?
Code:
attrib  c:\boot\bcd
attrib  d:\boot\bcd
attrib  e:\boot\bcd
Where is that file, so on C or D (or both)? or even on E?
I dont have the disk to do that im affraid
That is not smart of you!! Any other working Windows 7 machine there?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #9

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ollie8000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
pc can find active partition and loads bootmgr. Bootmgr finds a corrupt bootmenu.

Boot into recovery environment System Recovery Options OPTION TWO
enter command prompt there. Then

Code:
diskpart
list  vol
exit
what are the volume letters? (don't count the dvd stuff!)
assume C and D and E
then do:
Code:
chkdsk/f  c:
chkdsk/f  d:
chkdsk/f  e:
all volumes have no error?
Code:
attrib  c:\boot\bcd
attrib  d:\boot\bcd
attrib  e:\boot\bcd
Where is that file, so on C or D (or both)? or even on E?
I dont have the disk to do that im affraid
That is not smart of you!! Any other working Windows 7 machine there?
Yes the laptop I am currently using is the upgraded version of mine. has windows 7 too!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Create a repair disk on that laptop System Repair Disc - Create
Can be done on cd or dvd. Boot the sick computer with that dvd
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 "Windows failed to start"




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33