Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What is better to learning, the Registry or Group Policy first?

08 Nov 2012   #1
DarkStar86

Windows 7 Ultamite
 
 
What is better to learn, the Registry or Group Policy first?

I have been thinking of picking up the Microsoft Press book for either the Registry or Group Policy guides.
I'm in college, taking the Network Support Tech program. I have taken 2 years in a Computer Science college program. I love to tweak my computer, I have found that Unix/Linux to be a lot of fun in this regard. I have always been intrigued to learn how to tweak Windows. At the time I was attending the Computer Science program. I was working with windows XP, but now windows 7 (and 8) are out. But I would still like to learn how to tweak the "heart and soul" of windows.
so my question is; What would be the best place to start, either Group Policy, or Registry? I am also looking for referrence metrial that is complete? so in otherwords the best know textbook. I have two systems that can be used for testing purposes.
I also know that some will say to stay away from the registry. But I just cant help myself and want to learn how to work with the "Heart and soul" of windows.

Any guidance other then the famous "Stay Away from the Registry" would be greatly appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Nov 2012   #2
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

No idea what "twick" means?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #3
DarkStar86

Windows 7 Ultamite
 
 

sorry i'm in class right now and my teacher was taking to me when I was writing this. I meant to say tweak.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Nov 2012   #4
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

You say you are in class and you have a teacher. Then I suggest you follow the teachers study plan. You are lucky. Your in school with a teacher; use both of those assets to learn. I'm sure any question you have concerning your education in computer science will be answered.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #5
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
You say you are in class and you have a teacher. Then I suggest you follow the teachers study plan. You are lucky. Your in school with a teacher; use both of those assets to learn. I'm sure any question you have concerning your education in computer science will be answered.
+1...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #6
DarkStar86

Windows 7 Ultamite
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
You say you are in class and you have a teacher. Then I suggest you follow the teachers study plan. You are lucky. Your in school with a teacher; use both of those assets to learn. I'm sure any question you have concerning your education in computer science will be answered.

I have asked him for his input. He has told me not to bother with the Registry. However the program i'm in is only a one year program. Therefore, what he can teach is limited. Due to time constraints.

However, I still want to learn about the Registry or Group policy or both because I find it fascinating. I only ask here because I am looking for a "second opinion", and because I like to go beyond what i'm being tought.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #7
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

When does your year end?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #8
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I personally don't want to give you a study play that does not match you teachers/instructors plan. I believe you will do better just following the course you are taking and do other things later. Do the best you can in the course you are taking.
Have a nice day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #9
DarkStar86

Windows 7 Ultamite
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
When does your year end?

I don't see how that information can in anyway help answer my question. You know what forget I even asked
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2012   #10
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkStar86 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
When does your year end?

I don't see how that information can in anyway help answer my question.
Then clearly you have missed an important point!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What is better to learning, the Registry or Group Policy first?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Group Policy - Apply to a Specific User or Group
How to Apply Local Group Policies to Specific User or Group in Windows Windows has three layers of local GPOs: Local Group Policy Local Group Policy is the only local GPO that allows both computer configuration and user configuration settings to be applied to all users of the computer....
Tutorials
Enable File and Printer Sharing via Group Policy or Registry
http://i.imgur.com/e5GWKam.png I really need this enabled on all of the computers on my network. Unfortunately they weren't enabled durring the initial setup process and now they are spread out across 5 branches in three cities, and I really don't want to have to remote to each one and enable it...
Network & Sharing
Group Policy Applies Policy EXCEPT for 1 Setting!
Hi all! Windows 7 Pro 32 bit on a domain I've NEVER seen this before and I cant figure it out. I have a group policy set on an OU named LAPTOPS. The policy gets applied, however the User Config\Windows Setting\Scripts\Logon DOES NOT. When you run the GPRESULTS on the laptop, I see the...
General Discussion
Help with group policy
hi i have a laptop with a limited account. currently it has group policy on it which blocks me from running EXE's. i have uploaded a pic showing what happens when i open one. http://i56.tinypic.com/layjb.png i have noticed that when i run the update file from Adobe to update flash it...
Software
Direct Group Policy features as Registry values in Win7 Home Premium ?
Win7 Home Premium does NOT contain the well known GroupPolicy Editor. This is a feature only in Win7 Pro and above. What is exactly meant by "Group Policy Editor": The tool "gpedit.msc" (from former WinXP) or the group policy features itself? If only the tool is meant then the Home Premium...
Performance & Maintenance
Group Policy Editor or Local Security Policy
Will either of these allow me to restrict drive access to a single user only? I've tried to restrict drive access with Group Policy Editor but it applies the restriction globally--even to me the administrator. Could anyone let me know if this is possible and how to do it? Much thanks.
System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App