Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Having problem with installing windows XP in pre-installed windows 7

13 Nov 2012   #11
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dude143 View Post
Actually my WindowsXP installation disks are 32bits, can i install 32bits OS in my 64bits machine...?

I think problem is due to these 32bit disks
You might have Windows 7 64bit installed but that doesn't make your machine "a 64bit machine" There is no reason why you cannot install Windows XP 32bit. Where did these installation discs come from? What does it say on the label? Are they OEM discs?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2012   #12
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dude143 View Post
Hi i am new to this site... i hope u will help me...

I have hp pavilion dv6 notebook pc with windows 7 home premium x64bit pre installed OS. now i want to use both windowsXP & 7 in my single pc

This is the screen shot of my Disk managment
I have 4 primary partitions in my 320GB HDD

1. SYSTEM
2. HP_TOOLS
3. Windows_7 (C
4. Local disk (D

Now i want to install windowsXP in Local Disk(D which is primary partition, but When i boot from windowsXP CD at startup it wont load setup files ie; automatically windows 7 will startup, then when i run setup directly from windows 7, 'Install windowsXP' option has disabled... so help me...

Please explain the steps briefly...


waiting for urs response...

thank you...
In order to boot from the XP disk, you need to change the boot order in your BIOS.
See the following article for details;

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/change-boot-order-xp-vista/

I would suggest you have a knowledgeable friend help you with the process to avoid issues with drive letter assignment, RAID setup, SATA drive issues and the like.

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2012   #13
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post

In order to boot from the XP disk, you need to change the boot order in your BIOS.
That's why i asked how far he had got with the tutorial as this is covered in Item #2 of that tut.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2012   #14
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post

In order to boot from the XP disk, you need to change the boot order in your BIOS.
That's why i asked how far he had got with the tutorial as this is covered in Item #2 of that tut.
I was trying to put a bit of a "highlight" on the issue, in case the OP had missed it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2012   #15
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

I see you deleted your HP Recovery partition so I hope you made your disks first so you have path back to factory condition. If not save a WIn7 backup image externally now. You still have bootable Diagnostics via the BIOS Boot menu key if you keep the OEM partition.

If when booted XP installer won't see the HD it means your hardware is too new and you'll have provide SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2012   #16
dude143

Windows 7 Home Premium x64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dude143 View Post
Actually my WindowsXP installation disks are 32bits, can i install 32bits OS in my 64bits machine...?

I think problem is due to these 32bit disks
You might have Windows 7 64bit installed but that doesn't make your machine "a 64bit machine" There is no reason why you cannot install Windows XP 32bit. Where did these installation discs come from? What does it say on the label? Are they OEM discs?

I got these installation disks from my friend, but i dont know from where he got those from, but now i am downloading new windowsXP sp2 w2k3sp2_3959_usa_x64fre_spcd.iso image from microsoft website, & is this right ISO file for my PC( file name mentioned with bold fonts) & is this will works? if i burn to cd and use this disk during bootup...?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2012   #17
dude143

Windows 7 Home Premium x64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I see you deleted your HP Recovery partition so I hope you made your disks first so you have path back to factory condition. If not save a WIn7 backup image externally now. You still have bootable Diagnostics via the BIOS Boot menu key if you keep the OEM partition.

If when booted XP installer won't see the HD it means your hardware is too new and you'll have provide SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD

Yes i have created recovery disks and deleted recovery partition to create a primary partition for installing windowsXP, actually i dont wanted to use recovery option in my PC, i want multiboot. and where i can find SATA driver in my HP Pavilion dv6-3120tx notebook PC to integrate into XP cd...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2012   #18
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

On the HP Support Downloads webpage for your specific model this looks like what you need. It should unzip to C: where you can browse it from the slipstream utility to pick up the storage driver: HP Pavilion dv6-3100 Entertainment Notebook PC series*-* Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver - HP Business Support Center
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2012   #19
dude143

Windows 7 Home Premium x64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
On the HP Support Downloads webpage for your specific model this looks like what you need. It should unzip to C: where you can browse it from the slipstream utility to pick up the storage driver: HP Pavilion dv6-3100 Entertainment Notebook PC series*-* Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver - HP Business Support Center
Should i download this and install in my PC...?

I have successfully installed and what is next step...?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2012   #20
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

You'll find the folder when you open the C drive, under it's SP number Browse into that to find the driver from the slipstream utility to load the SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Having problem with installing windows XP in pre-installed windows 7




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Installing Windows Server 2003 No HDD's Installed?
Hi There im trying to install the windows server 2003 and i cant because I installed MoneOS turnkey now im having trouble to get the Main HDD to pick up PLEASE I NEED HELP:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Installation & Setup
Problem when installing 8.1 x64 on vmware installed on 7 x64
Hi, I installed Win7 ultimate sp1 x64 (my CPU is compatible of running the 64 bit version of Windows). After it I installed VMware 10 x86 (I couldn't find the 64-bit version of vmware) on that OS. Since I would want to have several OSes in my machine so I tried to install the Win 8.1 x64 on the...
Installation & Setup
Installed New MB and CPU, Windows 7 Not Installing
Hey there, Im brand new to these forums in high hopes to get some help. I've been having this problem for 3days now and been posting on tons of forums so hopefully I can get some help here and i'll go ahead and explain my issue :). (Additional info: I built this computer almost 1yr ago. I had a...
Installation & Setup
Installing Windows 7 on a Windows 8 pre-installed laptop
I've tried several options, but none works. My laptop is: Acer Aspire E1-571 and it has EFI ( and legacy bios). I already disabled the Secure boot and followed the tutorial how to make a UEFI bootable windows 7 installation usb. The problem is: If I boot with the UEFI windows 7 USB in Uefi...
Installation & Setup
Installing Windows 7 on a partition in Windows Vista Problem
Hi, I have installed Windows 7 on a partition created in Windows Vista. The problem is that now the computer will only boot to the System Recovery Oprions tool. I have tried using the Startup Repair tool. It tells me to disconnect any newly connected devices. However there are not any that have...
Installation & Setup
Installing Windows 7 (can't see HDD) (has ubuntu installed atm)
Need help badly. This netbook, has ubuntu installed. I wanted to put Windows 7 on it but I can't see the HDD during setup. BIOS detects it just fine. I have read that Ubuntu does something to the partitions. When I do diskpart, list disk, I can only see one disk with 15GB space (Netbook has...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App