Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How is Windows XP used past 2014?

17 Nov 2012   #1
CSean

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 
How is Windows XP used past 2014?

How does/is anyone going to use Windows XP past end support in 2014? Surely, there will still be a few of us by then.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Nov 2012   #2
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CSean View Post
How does/is anyone going to use Windows XP past end support in 2014? Surely, there will still be a few of us by then.
The fact that MS won't support the OS does not mean it is disabled. You can continue to use it. There is, also, the possibility that MS will extend support, but most likely not.

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2012   #3
CSean

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

I knew that it wouldn't be disabled. I just have on my backup notebook Dell Latitude D600 model. it seems like XP is the most powerful it can run, I downloaded and installed SP3. Was there anything I missed since this laptop is used by somebody else and I don't want it to be screwed or become infected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Nov 2012   #4
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CSean View Post
I knew that it wouldn't be disabled. I just have on my backup notebook Dell Latitude D600 model. it seems like XP is the most powerful it can run, I downloaded and installed SP3. Was there anything I missed since this laptop is used by somebody else and I don't want it to be screwed or become infected.
I have a Dell Latitiude D600. I bought it last year for a second PC. It had XP on it. I put Windows 7 on it and it works every bit as good as XP as far as speed. You can't get Aero on it but other than that it is fine for Win 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2012   #5
jadinolf

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

How did you handle the drivers - video, audio, etc?

A question I've always wanted to ask.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2012   #6
AddRAM

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

They are ususally all handled by windows update. If there are no drivers for a piece of hardware, it will not work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2012   #7
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jadinolf View Post
How did you handle the drivers - video, audio, etc?

A question I've always wanted to ask.
I didn't do anything special. Just put the Win 7 disk in and it took care of everything just as in a current PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2012   #8
jadinolf

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jadinolf View Post
How did you handle the drivers - video, audio, etc?

A question I've always wanted to ask.
I didn't do anything special. Just put the Win 7 disk in and it took care of everything just as in a current PC.
Well, thanks for the information.

Most appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2012   #9
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Be sure to save a backup image of your XP install using an imaging program like free Macrium - Image your system.

There is more about how drivers are handled differently in Win7 in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 which steps are the same for retail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How is Windows XP used past 2014?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How Windows was exploited in 2014
Read more: How Windows was exploited in 2014 | ZDNet Windows exploitation in 2014
Security News
December 9th 2014 Windows Updates
Source...
News
What happens to Windows 7 on October 31, 2014?
What happens to Windows 7 on October 31, 2014? | ZDNet
News
Which is Better: AVG Free 2014 or Avast 2014?
I currently have AVG 2014, but i actually wanted to try out a new antivirus program. I wanted to know which one offers the best protection against viruses. But so far i have only been seeing mixed reviews about both programs so i came here to get a better answer from the community :)! (Note:...
System Security
2014: The year of Windows 7?
Windows 7 adoption analysis: May benefit from Windows XP demise | BGR
News
Microsoft Windows 8.2 Scheduled For January 2014
Microsoft Windows 8.2 Scheduled For January 2014 | NextPowerUp Microsoft Windows 8.2 Scheduled For January 2014 Windows 8.2; Real or Troll? Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming
News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App