Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No Wifi or Volume icon in Tray?

23 Nov 2012   #1
JetsonB

Windows 7 Professional 32 bits
 
 
No Wifi or Volume icon in Tray?

In the past week or so, the volume and Wi-Fi icons disappeared from my system tray. The icons didn't show up in notification area settings, or the inactive icons menu. I've tried system restore, and another solution that can be found HERE. Any Ideas?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Nov 2012   #2
gregrocker

 

See if there's an Update for your Sound driver. It may be cued in optional Windows Updates after enabling Automatically get recommended drivers and updates for your hardware . Check there first. If not the latest driver for your model from Toshiba Model Content Page is from 2009, so I'd probably try to find a newer one on Realtek Support Downloads.

Otherwise uninstall it in Device Manager and reboot.

If these don't help check the System file integrity: SFC /SCANNOW Command
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2012   #3
JetsonB

Windows 7 Professional 32 bits
 
 

I uninstalled the sound card from device manager, and rebooted, and the same MS driver (Hi-Def Audio Device) was reinstalled, sound works fine. But, the icons still aren't in the tray. I scanned the system with the command you gave me, some corrupt files were fixed. I'll find the latest RealTek drivers later tonight and install them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Nov 2012   #4
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JetsonB View Post
I uninstalled the sound card from device manager, and rebooted, and the same MS driver (Hi-Def Audio Device) was reinstalled, sound works fine. But, the icons still aren't in the tray. I scanned the system with the command you gave me, some corrupt files were fixed. I'll find the latest RealTek drivers later tonight and install them.
Right click on the Taskbar and click on Properties. When the window opens click on Customize. Make sure the icons you want are marked to show.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2012   #5
AddRAM

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Do you have a wireless network close to the pc ? If you click on connect or disconnect in network and sharing center do any networks come up ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2012   #6
JetsonB

Windows 7 Professional 32 bits
 
 

If I press "Connect To" or click "Connect/Disconnect" I get a menu above the notification area, saying I'm connected to my home wireless network. In the room where I typically keep my laptop, I get 3/4 bars, the router about 3 rooms away. Also, due to using VMware, I see their network adapter connected to "Unidentified Network." The sound and network don't show up in the customize notifications window, either.

Also, after a while, the sound stopped working, so this morning I had to do a system restore. After, the icons still were not there.

My notification area:

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2012   #7
PeaB4YouGo

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JetsonB View Post
I uninstalled the sound card from device manager, and rebooted, and the same MS driver (Hi-Def Audio Device) was reinstalled, sound works fine. But, the icons still aren't in the tray. I scanned the system with the command you gave me, some corrupt files were fixed. I'll find the latest RealTek drivers later tonight and install them.
Right click on the Taskbar and click on Properties. When the window opens click on Customize. Make sure the icons you want are marked to show.
Seriously, did you try this? Go simple first, then move your way to the harder solutions...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2012   #8
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JetsonB View Post
If I press "Connect To" or click "Connect/Disconnect" I get a menu above the notification area, saying I'm connected to my home wireless network. In the room where I typically keep my laptop, I get 3/4 bars, the router about 3 rooms away. Also, due to using VMware, I see their network adapter connected to "Unidentified Network." The sound and network don't show up in the customize notifications window, either.

Also, after a while, the sound stopped working, so this morning I had to do a system restore. After, the icons still were not there.

My notification area:


I see your MSE flag has a red X. Have you checked to see if it's for a definitions update or is there a problem related to it? I know when everything is copasetic the flag is green with no red X.

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2012   #9
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post

I see your MSE flag has a red X. Have you checked to see if it's for a definitions update or is there a problem related to it? I know when everything is copasetic the flag is green with no red X.
HUMMM I have never seen mine turn green. There is no red X but it is a white flag. Does anyone else have a green flag?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2012   #10
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post

I see your MSE flag has a red X. Have you checked to see if it's for a definitions update or is there a problem related to it? I know when everything is copasetic the flag is green with no red X.
HUMMM I have never seen mine turn green. There is no red X but it is a white flag. Does anyone else have a green flag?
As I stated I don't use MSE and I incorrectly identified the flag as being associated with MSE. A fortress is used for MSE not a flag. The flag in your image is for pc issues, not MSE. Sorry about that! However, if you hover over the flag it will give you some cursory info and clicking it will provide more details.

Also, for the color scheme used in MSE, the image below should provide some clarification as to their meaning;

-mse-tray-icon-colors.jpg

HTH


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No Wifi or Volume icon in Tray?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
wlan icon and sound icon on system tray not working
Good morning experts, Please help me since I dont know what to do to solve this. This mornig I started my laptop, after a few minutes the wifi disconnected and the yellow dot showed on the wifi icon. I tried to click on the icon but nothing happened. Tried to click click clik and nothing...
Network & Sharing
WiFi system tray icon always shows 5 bars when it shouldn't
The house has 2 laptops connected to a mobile hotspot. Both connect fine to the internet. One is a Lenova (Win7 64bit). When it connects, its wifi shows 2 or 3 bars (for this house, 3 bars is high). The second computer is a Toshiba that I got 2 years ago and it has always shown 5 bars....
Network & Sharing
How to restore missing tray icon? Windows 7 Tray Icons Changer
:cry: hi. im new here. i need help with Windows 7 Tray Icons Changer. maybe i screwed up or something just went wrong and now i cant restore and no audio and network icon display on tray. its display "could not find file 'C:\Windows\system32\SndVolSSo.dll'" and this... Image "captured.png"...
Software
Line In Dialog when Tray Volume Icon is Clicked
This problem started just last night, I was working on changing the three audio jacks into 5.1 surround outputs. After I was done, anytime I clicked on the normal volume icon, either right or left click, it pops up the "Line In Properties" dialog. On left click, it also shows the normal volume...
Sound & Audio
LAN vs WiFi icon in tray
How do I know if my Windows 7 computer is using WiFi or its Lan connection? Have both on the computer in question. However I can only see the WiFi status bars in the tray. I want to ensure that the computer is using LAN when the network cable is connected. It is connected but the tray only...
Network & Sharing
Odd wifi signal icon in tray
Hi, icon showing wifi signal strenght in my tray was changed few days ago. Now I have there this icon - http://i26.tinypic.com/se6jdk.jpg What does it mean? How can I set it back to signal showing mode? -- OS: Windows 7 RTM (language: cs)
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:18.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App