Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.


27 Nov 2012   #1
kradangel

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.

I received this error when trying to install application from USB, External Disk, and CD/DVD. "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." I am part of Administrator group and even local Administrator can't install and received the same error. I tried disabling my anti-virus Symantec and still receiving the error. However, if i copy the application installer to my desktop or local disk, it would run perfectly. Does anyone know what is blocking the installation from USB, External Disk, and CD/DVD?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2012   #2
kradangel

Windows 7 x64
 
 

up...help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2012   #3
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

To me it sound like someone with administrative privileges has password protected your usb ports. You could contact you IT department for help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2012   #4
kradangel

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I'm in IT Dept. Even an account that part of domain admin group cannot run any installation. I just couldn't find out if this from group policy so i could modify in registry. Maybe there are someone out there with the same policy and receiving the same error.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2012   #5
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kradangel View Post
I received this error when trying to install application from USB, External Disk, and CD/DVD. "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." I am part of Administrator group and even local Administrator can't install and received the same error. I tried disabling my anti-virus Symantec and still receiving the error. However, if i copy the application installer to my desktop or local disk, it would run perfectly. Does anyone know what is blocking the installation from USB, External Disk, and CD/DVD?
So you can copy files from usb disk. Can you also write on usb disk, so make files and folders? If so make a folder on usb stick and put some exe on it. Doubleclick on it. Same error?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2012   #6
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Chek this


Some corporate anti-virus products (e.g. McAfee, Sophos, Symantec) include this function as something that can be enabled corporately. Maybe your corporate anti-virus solution has this as a feature.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2012   #7
kradangel

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kradangel View Post
I received this error when trying to install application from USB, External Disk, and CD/DVD. "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." I am part of Administrator group and even local Administrator can't install and received the same error. I tried disabling my anti-virus Symantec and still receiving the error. However, if i copy the application installer to my desktop or local disk, it would run perfectly. Does anyone know what is blocking the installation from USB, External Disk, and CD/DVD?
So you can copy files from usb disk. Can you also write on usb disk, so make files and folders? If so make a folder on usb stick and put some exe on it. Doubleclick on it. Same error?
Yes, Same error.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2012   #8
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Look here:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\RemovableStorageDevices]

or

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\RemovableStorageDevices]

Does it have a key deny_execute somewhere?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2012   #9
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kradangel View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kradangel View Post
I received this error when trying to install application from USB, External Disk, and CD/DVD. "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." I am part of Administrator group and even local Administrator can't install and received the same error. I tried disabling my anti-virus Symantec and still receiving the error. However, if i copy the application installer to my desktop or local disk, it would run perfectly. Does anyone know what is blocking the installation from USB, External Disk, and CD/DVD?
So you can copy files from usb disk. Can you also write on usb disk, so make files and folders? If so make a folder on usb stick and put some exe on it. Doubleclick on it. Same error?
Yes, Same error.
So you can READ and WRITE but not EXECUTE? check the file permission (most likely you have execute rights)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2012   #10
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System /Removable Storage Access node are settings that can specify what users can do with removable storage. The CD and DVD: Deny read access, Deny write access, and Deny execute access settings prevent optical drives from copying data. Even Floppy drives can be managed with similar settings. Tape drives and Removable Disks (USB hard drives) are also controlled with the same options. WPD Devices such as media players, cellular phones, and CE devices can be limited as well. In order to restrict a specific device from a specific manufacturer a specific device guide can be specified in the Custom Classes: Deny read access and Deny write settings. The device guid for any device can be determined by selecting the properties of the device in Device Manager, clicking the Details tab and selecting the Device Class drop down list. Select the “Device class guid” property and the specific device class guid will be displayed.
If you simply want to ban the use of any type of Removable Storage you can enable the “All Removable Storage classes: Deny all access” setting and breathe easier knowing that you done a lot to improve data security on Windows Desktops. In an Active Directory environment Group Policy can be used to apply these settings to all computers in a Domain, Site or Organizational Unit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.
Thread Forum
Windows Cannot Access The Specified Device, Path, or File. You May N.. General Discussion
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, file. General Discussion
Windows cannot access the specified device path or file Installation & Setup
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, file General Discussion
Windows cannot access the device, path or file... General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App