Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 8 is so ugly

04 Dec 2012   #11
edwar

7 x64
 
 

Thanks Greg but IMHO people that don't like Win 8 should not buy it, no matter what you can do to make it a desktop OS.

Only then will MS Re-Think this B_astard they call their new Windows OS.

I almost bought a copy for the 39.99 but then said this would Reinforce MS in the direction they are going, Which IMHO is the wrong direction. I have access to it anyway through my Technet subscription.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Dec 2012   #12
Howdr

Win 7 7100
 
 

Because of Microsoft Marketing Windows 8 is now on the 250 dollar Laptops non touch screen.

SO a new UI heavy into touch for a Tablet or Laptop with a touch screen is now the experience on a Laptop that does not have a touch screen, If Microsoft wanted to help Mac sales they should of just said so


Windows 7 = Evolution Forward
Windows 8 = De evolution sideways why? No Aero, keyboard shortcuts necessary
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #13
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I have to laugh when I read some of these threads...not that people don't like Windows 8...but for some of the reasons. First off, being ugly is an opinion. If you think the OS is ugly, I can see not using it. However, by using one of the many Start Menu replacements, you can easily make it look and act just like Windows 7...so I'm not sure what the complaints are about.

Now, for the Live vs local accounts...you have a choice. You can set the system up however you want. However, for those of us who do you MS's cloud services, and also use multiple computers, it's nice to have our settings and config options stored out in the cloud, so where I am, I get the same look and feel. I routinely use 3 computers, so I will enjoy this feature once all three systems are running Windows 8. If you don't like that idea or don't need it, just set up a local account. No big deal...and you are given a choice during the install. What is there to complain about? More options? More customization?

To me, after using it for about a month, it gives me everything I love in Windows 7, just a little faster. It's more customizable than Windows 7. I'm not bashing Windows 7 at all, but at the same time, it gets old reading unfounded bashing of Windows 8. If I had a touch screen, I'd consider using the Metro interface. It works beautifully on a touch screen. However, I don't, so the normal desktop works just fine...as it has for decades.

If you don't like it, so be it. You can still run Windows 7 and have a great system. But sometimes people jump to the conclusion that different is bad. Use the OS before passing judgements on it. Stop basing opinions of a product on what other say. That's what took Vista so long to improve....not the actual product, but the fact people just relied on hearsay. I didn't see the point of Windows 8 until I started using it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Dec 2012   #14
Howdr

Win 7 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by edwar View Post
Thanks Greg but IMHO people that don't like Win 8 should not buy it, no matter what you can do to make it a desktop OS.

Only then will MS Re-Think this B_astard they call their new Windows OS.

I almost bought a copy for the 39.99 but then said this would Reinforce MS in the direction they are going, Which IMHO is the wrong direction. I have access to it anyway through my Technet subscription.
Yeah get it through Technet, thats how I have it for "Free"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #15
Howdr

Win 7 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I have to laugh when I read some of these threads...not that people don't like Windows 8...but for some of the reasons. First off, being ugly is an opinion. If you think the OS is ugly, I can see not using it. However, by using one of the many Start Menu replacements, you can easily make it look and act just like Windows 7...so I'm not sure what the complaints are about.

Now, for the Live vs local accounts...you have a choice. You can set the system up however you want. However, for those of us who do you MS's cloud services, and also use multiple computers, it's nice to have our settings and config options stored out in the cloud, so where I am, I get the same look and feel. I routinely use 3 computers, so I will enjoy this feature once all three systems are running Windows 8. If you don't like that idea or don't need it, just set up a local account. No big deal...and you are given a choice during the install. What is there to complain about? More options? More customization?

To me, after using it for about a month, it gives me everything I love in Windows 7, just a little faster. It's more customizable than Windows 7. I'm not bashing Windows 7 at all, but at the same time, it gets old reading unfounded bashing of Windows 8. If I had a touch screen, I'd consider using the Metro interface. It works beautifully on a touch screen. However, I don't, so the normal desktop works just fine...as it has for decades.

If you don't like it, so be it. You can still run Windows 7 and have a great system. But sometimes people jump to the conclusion that different is bad. Use the OS before passing judgements on it. Stop basing opinions of a product on what other say. That's what took Vista so long to improve....not the actual product, but the fact people just relied on hearsay. I didn't see the point of Windows 8 until I started using it.
People who are the only user of a laptop, like me, do not need to password protect it, so its Valid that I think its a pain and so do others I have set up the computer for them.

Defender does not show up in task bar and there is no way to continue to allow some programs, I tried it kept thinking it was a virus everytime it was ran and tried to clean it

Metro UI is a touch UI, without a touch screen its diminished experience.

I really like the start button a lot windows 8 does not have it

Glass was removed because of the resources needed on tablets, they should of left it for premium and ultimate versions for PCs

Admin rights should be adjustable like seven, they are not, even with full permission for an Admin you are nagged to give permission, sorry this is unacceptable

So LOL all you want but these are valid points not just complaints

And yes many many think the UI is UGLY google and see

Just because Microsoft Improved Windows they could of released 7 sp2 with these improvements instead they added a tablet UI and called it 8, and Microsoft themselves said that 8 is based mostly on 7 so I see no argument that 8 is nothing more than 7 with improvements and a UI to give them a reason to market it as 8 and try to get millions more to buy it thinking the Red dress without rhinestones is better now that it has rhinestones.......................
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #16
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Howdr View Post
People who are the only user of a laptop, like me, do not need to password protect it, so its Valid that I think its a pain and so do others I have set up the computer for them.
That is a bad computing habit that people should know very well by now not to follow. I've had to clean many systems infected by malware that assigns passwords to open accounts to see it for myself. No security guide will ever support this, either.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Howdr View Post
Metro UI is a touch UI, without a touch screen its diminished experience.
It is designed for touch screens, but not useless without. On large monitors, it's actually kind of nice. It brings me a lot of dynamic information right to my screen, and I can customize the crap out of it. Which segways into....
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Howdr View Post
I really like the start button a lot windows 8 does not have it
I agree, and from a productivity standpoint, it should have been left in, or at least offered as a choice to the user...Metro or Standard. However, as mentioned, there are a boatload of apps to add the functionality back in...some free, some paid. It's a shame to have to use 3rd party apps for something so basic, but it's a very minor hurdle, at worst.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Howdr View Post
Glass was removed because of the resources needed on tablets, they should of left it for premium and ultimate versions for PCs
Maybe so, but it isn't a deal killer for me one way or another. I don't sit at my computers to be awed by effects. I need them for other purposes, whether it be I.T. admin work, web content creation, or even gaming. Lack of Glass has no real affect for me, and in fact, Maximum PC has tested Windows 8 to be faster than Windows 7 on identical hardware. Can't complain about that.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Howdr View Post
And yes many many think the UI is UGLY google and see
Many people believe our government is run by aliens and is part of a New World Order to control the Earth. Just because you can Google it, doesn't lend any credibility to a viewpoint. Many people think the Nissan Juke is ugly, yet I see them all the time on the roads. Beauty is subjective, and not a topic that can be debated. Someone out there thinks Torri Spelling is hot. Same with Snookie. I rest my case.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Howdr View Post
Just because Microsoft Improved Windows they could of released 7 sp2 with these improvements instead they added a tablet UI and called it 8, and Microsoft themselves said that 8 is based mostly on 7 so I see no argument that 8 is nothing more than 7 with improvements and a UI to give them a reason to market it as 8 and try to get millions more to buy it thinking the Red dress without rhinestones is better now that it has rhinestones.......................
This is the very same criticism Windows 7 and VIsta were given when they came out. If there's anything to fault Microsoft for, it would be that maybe Windows 8 was pushed out too soon....too soon after Windows 7, for example. However, that doesn't mean anything in terms of Windows 8's quality or usability. It was done so to usher in a new hardware spec...and blur the lines between a tablet and laptop. Software pushing hardware for a change. Usually software trails hardware. It's different...and too many people automatically jump to assuming that's bad. People fear change.

All I'm saying is...use it and give it some time before making up your mind. I hated it the first time I installed a beta. So I waited for it to go final and gave it another shot. It took me some time, but now I really enjoy the OS and think it's another great one. My impressions of Windows 7 haven't changed and I don't think any lesser of 7 now, either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #17
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I also thought it would goose sales of touchscreens but I don't see any in the stores here, just the Win8 touchscreen OS on non-touchscreen desktops where it is completely unsuitable for a productive desktop experience which has always been MS's strength.

Meanwhile the wildly popular Win7 OS just coming into the mainstream fully at 3 isn't even offered widely on new PC's any longer as though it's being phased out? Hello? Calling market forces!

You can get a perfect Desktop Experience with Win8 by grafting on the actual Win7 Start menu using Windows 7 Start Menu for Windows 8, which also shuts off Metro so that it doesn't load into RAM - actually making it a bit faster than 7 or 8.

Then add 8GadgetPack - Gadgets for Windows 8 which replicates 7 gadgets and you have Win7 with soaped-over window frames. This is progress?
It's actually kind of funny I went into best buy to get a xbox controller and sat there for about 20 minutes watching everyone that stepped up to the new win 8 machines trying to touch the screen, to use it. Must have seen 30 or 40 people do the same thing in the space of that time.

I seriously don't know what MS was thinking with this. Or how they managed to sell 40 million copies practically overnight.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #18
Howdr

Win 7 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Howdr View Post
People who are the only user of a laptop, like me, do not need to password protect it, so its Valid that I think its a pain and so do others I have set up the computer for them.
Quote:
That is a bad computing habit that people should know very well by now not to follow. I've had to clean many systems infected by malware that assigns passwords to open accounts to see it for myself. No security guide will ever support this, either.
so no matter in my personal experience having laptops since 1995 I have had 5 viruses all due to email or Downloads that a password would of stopped this? Really? Its not needed you cannot prove it to me with all the experience I have had in computing ( since the beginning before Windows) so we will disagree

BTW are we talking about the same thing? I have password protected the OS, I'm talking about logon not the OS they are two different things

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Howdr View Post
Metro UI is a touch UI, without a touch screen its diminished experience.
Quote:
It is designed for touch screens, but not useless without. On large monitors, it's actually kind of nice. It brings me a lot of dynamic information right to my screen, and I can customize the crap out of it. Which segways into....
I said diminished not useless

Quote:
I agree, and from a productivity standpoint, it should have been left in, or at least offered as a choice to the user...Metro or Standard. However, as mentioned, there are a boatload of apps to add the functionality back in...some free, some paid. It's a shame to have to use 3rd party apps for something so basic, but it's a very minor hurdle, at worst.

Maybe so, but it isn't a deal killer for me one way or another. I don't sit at my computers to be awed by effects. I need them for other purposes, whether it be I.T. admin work, web content creation, or even gaming. Lack of Glass has no real affect for me, and in fact, Maximum PC has tested Windows 8 to be faster than Windows 7 on identical hardware. Can't complain about that.
I have not seen better battery life or that its so much faster than 7 on my i5 with 6gb ram but this is my personal experience

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Howdr View Post
And yes many many think the UI is UGLY google and see
Many people believe our government is run by aliens and is part of a New World Order to control the Earth. Just because you can Google it, doesn't lend any credibility to a viewpoint. Many people think the Nissan Juke is ugly, yet I see them all the time on the roads. Beauty is subjective, and not a topic that can be debated. Someone out there thinks Torri Spelling is hot. Same with Snookie. I rest my case.
What does that have to do that many opinions are that 8 is Ugly? its a Valid to say people think windows 8 is ugly if the opinion is repeated many times. really you did not prove anything and I'm not going to post links to the hundreds of examples of opinions Windows 8 is Ugly.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Howdr View Post
Just because Microsoft Improved Windows they could of released 7 sp2 with these improvements instead they added a tablet UI and called it 8, and Microsoft themselves said that 8 is based mostly on 7 so I see no argument that 8 is nothing more than 7 with improvements and a UI to give them a reason to market it as 8 and try to get millions more to buy it thinking the Red dress without rhinestones is better now that it has rhinestones.......................
Quote:
This is the very same criticism Windows 7 and VIsta were given when they came out. If there's anything to fault Microsoft for, it would be that maybe Windows 8 was pushed out too soon....too soon after Windows 7, for example. However, that doesn't mean anything in terms of Windows 8's quality or usability. It was done so to usher in a new hardware spec...and blur the lines between a tablet and laptop. Software pushing hardware for a change. Usually software trails hardware. It's different...and too many people automatically jump to assuming that's bad. People fear change.

All I'm saying is...use it and give it some time before making up your mind. I hated it the first time I installed a beta. So I waited for it to go final and gave it another shot. It took me some time, but now I really enjoy the OS and think it's another great one. My impressions of Windows 7 haven't changed and I don't think any lesser of 7 now, either.
No not really, Vista was out long before 7 and when 7 was beta tested then released it was a frenzy to get 7, wheres the frenzy for 8?

Its hard to change, the leap from XP to 7 was not that bad and the experience on the average PC was awesome when going to 7

People almost universally both novice and experts loved 7
if you read here and around the net
novice and experts like or hate 8

its a different story and different time and just because 8 is better in some ways does not make 7 a bad OS, if anything it will reinforce 7 like xp was reinforced by Vista something I feel Microsoft wanted to avoid
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #19
Howdr

Win 7 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I also thought it would goose sales of touchscreens but I don't see any in the stores here, just the Win8 touchscreen OS on non-touchscreen desktops where it is completely unsuitable for a productive desktop experience which has always been MS's strength.

Meanwhile the wildly popular Win7 OS just coming into the mainstream fully at 3 isn't even offered widely on new PC's any longer as though it's being phased out? Hello? Calling market forces!

You can get a perfect Desktop Experience with Win8 by grafting on the actual Win7 Start menu using Windows 7 Start Menu for Windows 8, which also shuts off Metro so that it doesn't load into RAM - actually making it a bit faster than 7 or 8.

Then add 8GadgetPack - Gadgets for Windows 8 which replicates 7 gadgets and you have Win7 with soaped-over window frames. This is progress?
It's actually kind of funny I went into best buy to get a xbox controller and sat there for about 20 minutes watching everyone that stepped up to the new win 8 machines trying to touch the screen, to use it. Must have seen 30 or 40 people do the same thing in the space of that time.

I seriously don't know what MS was thinking with this. Or how they managed to sell 40 million copies practically overnight.
I've read articles that the PC manufactures said that Windows 8 UI was too soon for PC's I know by the middle of next year in time for back to school there will be touch screen Laptops in the $500 range perfect for students, right now they are in the $800 range and all Ultra books, ( have seen a sub $800 not out in stores just yet) its too much for the Christmas season. SHould of released it in April IMHO
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #20
edwar

7 x64
 
 

Not having a password is not a good idea.

@decon frost

I don't see how you can say Win 8 is more customizable then Win 7. For one thing you can't even select different colors for the title bar of program until you set the Theme to High Contrast. And even then you only have so many choices and not a 2 step choice, Title bar has to be one color. I have found other things that IMHO are not changable (customizable) in Win 8 that are in Win 7 and before. Sorry but I don't care for the OS writer making these decisions for me. I want to make them.
Like I said before MS is following Apple in "What We Decide is the Way You "WILL" use "YOUR" computer". No thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 8 is so ugly




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Some programs look ugly in the taskbar.
I'm enjoying Windows 7 and I really like how the taskbar functions (I use it as a application launcher pretty much, as an alternative to using icons on my desktop)... except with some software. For example, I have a game I play often. I pinned the updater to the game on the taskbar, since it's...
General Discussion
The good, bad and ugly of upgrading
I guess I just want to rant and rave a bit. After running Win7 beta for sixth months I was very happy with it on my old desktop, although I could never get my new laptop to load the beta version. So when Win 7 came out I decided to do a few things, one is I built (or had built) a new desktop, with...
General Discussion
NVIDIA Driver + Windows 7 = Ugly picture on TV
Hey guys! I dont speak english very well, but lets try! The movies on my T dont show the same quality of Windows XP after I go to Windows 7. I installed NVIDIA latest driver 191.07 and the movies image are UGLY...very bad. The faces have a lots of noise. Trying to fiz it, i enable the NOISE...
Music, Pictures & Video
Ugly Windows 7 Menus with AVG
Hi there. I have a minor graphical problem, this: http://yfrog.com/0b22895873p I suppose this happened because of AVG, 'cause it was the only program installed over a fresh W7 installation. Has anyone had this kind of problems?
General Discussion
Ugly grey
Hi my name is ryko, i just installed w7 but when i rebooted i lost all graphics. Everything is old classic grey. I'm only here because i have searched n researched n tried just about everything adviced. New w7 basic theme....new video card, reinstalled w7, ran virus bit defender 2009 but i can...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App