Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 8 is so ugly

04 Dec 2012   #31
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
The lock screen is customizable, from a background standpoint, and is only one mouse click until you are greeted with the login prompt. I don't see the big deal about the new style...like why it's good or bad. Windows 7's is just a blue screen with a login prompt in the middle...still nothing flashy or fancy. I don't see what there is to complain about. Instead of a blue screen, you get to choose from your own wallpapers.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
More power to you, this too me is starting to seem time to change professions again.
That's a defeatist attitude that I see posted every single time a new version of Windows is released, even back to the days of Windows NT's release, when people threatened to change careers since it didn't include plug and play.
Actually I welcomed both vista and win 7 with open arms when they came along, even though I later did decide I didn't like vista, that was a long time ago when drivers were issue and I had to wait 6 months just to get my sli to work with it.

No this is a departure from what windows has been since well 3.1
I have no doubt it will work wonderfully for a lot of people with touch screen portable devices. I just don't want it anywhere near my desktop or my work machine.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Dec 2012   #32
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
We shouldn't lose track of the fact as MS did that Win7 was their greatest achievement and likely the finest OS ever.
... then came Windows 8ME.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #33
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
I have no doubt it will work wonderfully for a lot of people with touch screen portable devices. I just don't want it anywhere near my desktop or my work machine.
Maybe a career change is in the cards, because one thing I've learned in my 16 years of I.T. is that closing my mind to something new only hurts me. With one simple 3rd party app (we can debate the fact the Start Menu should have been included, or given as an option), Windows 8 works identically to Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Dec 2012   #34
RealPetChicken

Windows Seven Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I am staying with Windows 7. It doesn't look ugly, but it seems like a pain in the ass to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #35
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Again, not that I'm trying to promote one or the other...but you say it "seems" to be a pain in the ass. Why not download the 90 day trial and give it a shot? I was almost ready to skip it completely, but decided I'd give it a try on a spare HDD in my work laptop. After the first few days, I was used to it and started to enjoy using it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #36
LittleJay

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
I have no doubt it will work wonderfully for a lot of people with touch screen portable devices. I just don't want it anywhere near my desktop or my work machine.
Maybe a career change is in the cards, because one thing I've learned in my 16 years of I.T. is that closing my mind to something new only hurts me. With one simple 3rd party app (we can debate the fact the Start Menu should have been included, or given as an option), Windows 8 works identically to Windows 7.
Exactly. I used a small app to install the Windows 7 start menu from the installation DVD and now Windows 8 works just like a more secure version of Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #37
Katanyavich

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

I've been using 8 since the CP was released, and it's all second-nature now.

I use Classic Start, but with Metro enabled, as I use it too.

I have gadgets installed, and overall I'm happy with 8 except for the lack of transparency.

Oh, and it is 100% useable with a normal scroll-mouse.

You do NOT need a touch-screen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #38
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
I agree with edwar

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
To me, after using it for about a month, it gives me everything I love in Windows 7, just a little faster. It's more customizable than Windows 7.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by edwar View Post
I don't see how you can say Win 8 is more customizable then Win 7.
Off the bat, you have your choice between two UIs. That alone is more than the one we've always had.
A choice between:
  • A GUI that a lot of people don't need/want
  • The "old" GUI that MS deliberately crippled
You can't change the:
  • Font Face
  • Font Size (I don't mean dpi)
  • Font Style
  • Icon Size
  • Icon Spacing
Windows 8 is less customisable than W7, unless you use 3rd party utilities.
In W7, I didn't "need" to use 3rd party software to set it up the way I wanted it set up.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Overall, my only complaint would be the system should ask or detect if you have a touch screen, and alter some processes accordingly.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I couldn't agree more, Deacon. This would have been fine if it would install automatically with start button/menu for desktops, touch GUI for tablets and touchscreens.
Most people seem to agree with that idea (except MS of course).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #39
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

We have Windows 8 because Microsoft is in the business of making money. Windows 7 was a great money maker for MS but it's peak is gone so they need a new revenue stream.

I think their hope is if it's different enough people will buy it. If it was just Windows 7 Plus people would not buy it.

I don't agree with this, just my thoughts on why we have Windows 8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2012   #40
LittleJay

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP 1
 
 

Quote:
I think their hope is if it's different enough people will buy it. If it was just Windows 7 Plus people would not buy it.
It worked on me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 8 is so ugly




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Some programs look ugly in the taskbar.
I'm enjoying Windows 7 and I really like how the taskbar functions (I use it as a application launcher pretty much, as an alternative to using icons on my desktop)... except with some software. For example, I have a game I play often. I pinned the updater to the game on the taskbar, since it's...
General Discussion
The good, bad and ugly of upgrading
I guess I just want to rant and rave a bit. After running Win7 beta for sixth months I was very happy with it on my old desktop, although I could never get my new laptop to load the beta version. So when Win 7 came out I decided to do a few things, one is I built (or had built) a new desktop, with...
General Discussion
NVIDIA Driver + Windows 7 = Ugly picture on TV
Hey guys! I dont speak english very well, but lets try! The movies on my T dont show the same quality of Windows XP after I go to Windows 7. I installed NVIDIA latest driver 191.07 and the movies image are UGLY...very bad. The faces have a lots of noise. Trying to fiz it, i enable the NOISE...
Music, Pictures & Video
Ugly Windows 7 Menus with AVG
Hi there. I have a minor graphical problem, this: http://yfrog.com/0b22895873p I suppose this happened because of AVG, 'cause it was the only program installed over a fresh W7 installation. Has anyone had this kind of problems?
General Discussion
Ugly grey
Hi my name is ryko, i just installed w7 but when i rebooted i lost all graphics. Everything is old classic grey. I'm only here because i have searched n researched n tried just about everything adviced. New w7 basic theme....new video card, reinstalled w7, ran virus bit defender 2009 but i can...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:58.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App