Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 8 is so ugly

10 Dec 2012   #81
LittleJay

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
My thoughts.
Would someone buy a new car and then go to a 3rd party part store so they could change the steering wheel, mirrors, tires, seats so the new car works as good as their old car. In my case the answer is no.
I never said that everyone should do what I did. I simply meant to say that it is something that I enjoy doing. I guess it is a matter of "to each his own".


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Dec 2012   #82
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
This is my point too. If I want Windows 7, I use Windows 7. No point tweaking Windows 8 to look like Windows 7.
I think you might be missing the point somewhat. I think people are thinking these comments are a flashback to when Vista/7 was new, and people started whining about how Aero was killing their performance so they'd go back to a classic theme, and how indexing and Superfetch were killing their performance, so they disabled those features, etc.

Saying you make it look like Windows 7 is the short and sweet way of saying...you added a Start Menu back in. That's where the comparisons and similarities end. None of us are "turning it into Windows 7". All we've done is added a Start Menu for productivity's sake. If I was going willy nilly disabling features, then it would be a valid point to say...why not just use Windows 7. Like the people who tried using Windows Server 2008 as a desktop OS....ended up disabling and enabling features that turned it into Windows 7. That's entirely different than adding in a Start Menu to Windows 8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2012   #83
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I see a lot more tweaks than just the start menu. But maybe those are not necessary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Dec 2012   #84
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I'm not sure what those would be. I can only say for sure on my system, but all I did was install StartIsBack and then update/install my drivers that weren't found by default. For testing purposes, I am only using a local account (on my domain), but I like the idea of using a Live account to backup my settings across my three PCs, should I use Windows 8 on all of them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2012   #85
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I have no problems with people sticking to Windows 7. I plan to do so on certain systems of mine as well.

The part I took issue with is what I'd call the "Vista Effect". It's baseless bashing of a product that comes from hearsay, at best. In fact, many of the criticisms in this very thread can be considered baseless, as admitted by those posting them that they didn't come from experience. Others, can be completely dissolved with a quick setting or tweak. There's merit to the debate of what choices Microsoft should have included, but they hardly "forcing" anyone to use a certain UI. If that were true, Microsoft would be blocking and barring all 3rd party attempts to add those features in, and I can say with first hand knowledge, they won't be doing so.

If someone doesn't want to use Windows 8, so be it, it's their systems...but there's no need to bash the product, or turn a nose up to it.
Were you actually there day 1 of vista launch?
I really have to wonder. There were no drivers, your SLI graphics didn't work for a full six months after release, people were being forced to abandon tried and true old software for it. 3rd party support was all over the place ranging from 'non-existent to fair' Vista's bad launch is what lead to the 'vista effect' as you call it. I had vista for a full year before it actually functioned in a way I could be happy with. I felt almost obligated to use it as a gamer, so I could have the new dx features. I still dual booted xp almost the entire time I was using it.

Windows 8 if I were to put it in a way that seems relevant reminds me of the interface my AOL had in 1994. Brightly colored with a bunch of big pictures to click on. I've also compared and priced win 8 tablets, because that was the interface I figured win 8 would be most appropriate for. The price scale and the lack of IR burst in most the models left me getting a galaxy tablet instead. I was able to get a quad core name brand for what the more base models including windows 8 would have cost me. (win 8 tablets start @ around 500 bucks the cost of the best galaxy on the market.) There are actually windows 8 tablets that cost 1200 bucks, on holiday sale.

I'm just not feeling the incentive, it's fully possible that not unlike vista a lot of my complaints will be dealt with over the next year or so. Right now as I install it my first impulse is to just spend a bunch of time trying to make it look and act like windows 7.

It was during this that I came to the earth shattering conclusion that I should probably just stick with 7 for the time being. Am I being harsh on the young new OS? Maybe a little, but it has a lot of expectations to live up too, and as of this moment in time. I just think it's big brother is more adult, and reliable when I need him.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2012   #86
gregrocker

 

Vista at release was a dog that nearly brought the company down. It was only saved when improvements developed for Win7 were rushed into SP1, making Vista a decent OS. Many do not remember this, however millions more do.

Key was the development of "fast triggers" so that dozens of Services could be set to Manual which had hogged resources since XP, but with Aero made older hardware nearly unresponsive. I was reading the Win7 developers blog at the time and fascinated.

Prior to that most tech enthusiasts had used Black Viper as the XP and Vista Services bible. With fast triggers WIn7 was made featherlight and instantaneous on most hardware, and became the Black Viper as well as the best OS ever created.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2012   #87
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Were you actually there day 1 of vista launch?
I really have to wonder.
I knew it was only a matter of time before the eWang contest had to beginning. I could talk all about how long I've been in IT, how many product launches I've been to, how long I've had early access to software through TechNet, and how long (and long ago) I worked for one of the big Three largest computer manufacturers, etc...but it's a forum board..and that would all be meaningless.

Suffice to say, I was there with Vista's launch, and I was there when people would buy new computers with 512 MB of memory and no Nvidia drivers...wondering why performance sucked for something "new". However, if we are to call into question Vista knowledge, then you surely remember how the truth was...Vista was actually just fine. It was the major OEMs that dropped the ball in being prepared. Why do you think Windows 7 was pushed out to those people so early and so often? I switched away from my beloved Nvidia for an ATI card over the lack of drivers. I kept my company's entire fleet on XP because I didn't feel the OEM support was there. Microsoft, and the community, learned that an OS is only as good as it's supporting base. Once those companies got up to speed, we all saw that Vista wasn't so bad at all.

The point is...the Vista Effect refers to public opinion. It was so bad for Vista, that even non-tech people were making fun of it...despite the fact it wasn't the OSes fault. Remember the Mojave Project? That was the proof, and it was brilliantly done. Public opinion sways people on nearly all issues, including OSes....so I'm the "lone beacon" as WHS called me, trying to get people to stop listening to what their friend's barber's cousin's dogwalker told them...and just try it out themselves. OEM support has been pretty good so far, as well as community support (just check out the sister site). Why not try it out (with a legitmate, open-minded trial)? What do you have to lose? There's always a good fall-back option in Windows 7.

I'm also going to state, again for the record, I am not bashing Windows 7 or telling anyone that Windows 8 thrashes it apart. At the same time, I'm not telling anyone Windows 8 is junk or should be feared. It's a quality OS as well, giving users a choice. My only gripe is that far too many people are letting others make up their minds for them. We shouldn't have Sheeple on our side...those people are usually worshipping at the cult of Mac.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2012   #88
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I think most people around here have actually used the prereleases of Windows 8. So they don't have the news from their friend's barber's cousin's dogwalker
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2012   #89
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I'm 37, I've been doing this crap since I was 8.
That's completely outside of the point.
The vast majority of your argument is based on an assumption that just isn't true.

Public opinion of vista was ruined, because it's launch failed in almost every way it possibly could have.
Windows 8 works, it does do what it's supposed to.
Some of us are really struggling with why we would ever want to 'upgrade' to it though.

We aren't being stubborn, it's not that we failed to try it and are just 'hating' on it for no reason. You are presenting a cookie cutter argument to support your personal opinion.
Which by the way I have no problem with, and I'm sure there are other people out there that agree with you. Windows 8 is not the complete failure vista was at launch.

You also have to realize that 'public opinion' isn't some strange mystical thing it's actually pretty damn predictable most of the time.

Does windows 8 have a place on the market, well apparently it does.
Is windows 8 the right choice for me right now. No it isn't.

Am I suggesting the entire OS be shelved and never looked at again? NO.
Nor am I touting it as some revolutionary thing that is going to change the world.
It's neither of those things.

You almost seem to be taking personal offense to people not just jumping all over windows 8.
Windows 8 represents a lot of changes. In my opinion not all of them are good ones. The point I'm trying to make in saying that though is people aren't real big on change in general. So once again public opinion was fairly predictable here.

It's also entirely possible that given the course of time that opinion can be changed, as unlike vista windows 8 is not a complete failure. It's just different. Some people like the change others of us are not very impressed by it. I see where they are trying to go with it and maybe in some years it will actually seem much more viable to me.

I'm not sitting here dealing in absolutes. I'm trying to be reasonable about the whole thing, yet you insist because I haven't immediately jumped on the 'I love windows 8' bandwagon, that there is some flaw in my logic, or that my opinion isn't valid.
My response to that involves naughty words though so we'll just stop here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2012   #90
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
You almost seem to be taking personal offense to people not just jumping all over windows 8.
And you actually accuse me of incorrect assumptions? You are missing my point entirely.

I'll try and be clear about it...despite the numbers of times I've tried to summarize. My issue isn't with people choosing to stay with Windows 7...as I stated, I'm doing the same on several of my systems. My company will be staying on Windows 7, unless they get new hardware that "requires" it. I have people in line that Windows 8 Pro Tablets would be perfect for...assuming those work well once released. I have others getting standard desktops and laptops that will be staying with Windows 7 for 2013.

My issue is with the wild bashing of the product, which occurs quite often here. What gets me though, is on numerous occasions, the person doing the bashing later admits they've never tried it. Windows 8 isn't a bad product, and there's nothing to fear about it. If you don't want to use it, so be it. We actually have two good choices now, rather than the single option we're used to. There' no need to bash it or belittle the people who do find it useful. Yes, that's what happens.

My point is and always has been, was for people to try it out themselves and decide...for themselves. There have been quite a few people who have been very outspoken...then later admit they've never tried it. What kind of advice is that for others to read? Is that's our purpose here? When someone asks in a new thread if they should run Windows 8, all they get in response is "No, it sucks, skip it, blah blah blah". There's no discussion, no effort to find out what the OP is looking for or wants to accomplish..nothing. No sharing of information or education. Not even the usual "system specs, please" follow up.

The only thing I'm taking personal offense to is that my words are often twisted and turned around. How or why would you accuse me of taking personal offense to people not jumping on the bandwagon, when I've stated time and time again I'm staying with Windows 7 on several of my systems as well? I may be many things, but a hypocrit is not one of them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 8 is so ugly




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Some programs look ugly in the taskbar.
I'm enjoying Windows 7 and I really like how the taskbar functions (I use it as a application launcher pretty much, as an alternative to using icons on my desktop)... except with some software. For example, I have a game I play often. I pinned the updater to the game on the taskbar, since it's...
General Discussion
The good, bad and ugly of upgrading
I guess I just want to rant and rave a bit. After running Win7 beta for sixth months I was very happy with it on my old desktop, although I could never get my new laptop to load the beta version. So when Win 7 came out I decided to do a few things, one is I built (or had built) a new desktop, with...
General Discussion
NVIDIA Driver + Windows 7 = Ugly picture on TV
Hey guys! I dont speak english very well, but lets try! The movies on my T dont show the same quality of Windows XP after I go to Windows 7. I installed NVIDIA latest driver 191.07 and the movies image are UGLY...very bad. The faces have a lots of noise. Trying to fiz it, i enable the NOISE...
Music, Pictures & Video
Ugly Windows 7 Menus with AVG
Hi there. I have a minor graphical problem, this: http://yfrog.com/0b22895873p I suppose this happened because of AVG, 'cause it was the only program installed over a fresh W7 installation. Has anyone had this kind of problems?
General Discussion
Ugly grey
Hi my name is ryko, i just installed w7 but when i rebooted i lost all graphics. Everything is old classic grey. I'm only here because i have searched n researched n tried just about everything adviced. New w7 basic theme....new video card, reinstalled w7, ran virus bit defender 2009 but i can...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App