Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cannot Take Ownership or Delete Certain Registry Keys Win7 64

02 Dec 2012   #1
BarryBGB

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional & Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Cannot Take Ownership or Delete Certain Registry Keys Win7 64

I have several monitors and one of them had had a corrupted digital EDID. I have succesfully re-written the EDID to the monitors eprom however windows still will not store this corrected key. It continues to use the original VGA keys or corrupted digital keys.
The monitor is a Viewsonic and the main key is here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\VSC0F1F
Under that key, there are 9 subkeys. 3 for the VGA and 6 for the corrupted Digital.
When I connect only the Viewsonic monitor, it never creates another key with the corrected EDID. Even when I use a program to view the edid's, it shows up as the analog one.

I have tried several guides both here and elswhere on taking control of the keys but always it fails with
"Registry Editor could not set owner on the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys."

I tried working my way up from the lowest subkey and the same thing occurs.

What I would really like to do is completely delete the Viewsonic key and have Windows create a new key on boot up.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Dec 2012   #2
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BarryBGB View Post
I have several monitors and one of them had had a corrupted digital EDID. I have succesfully re-written the EDID to the monitors eprom however windows still will not store this corrected key. It continues to use the original VGA keys or corrupted digital keys.
The monitor is a Viewsonic and the main key is here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\VSC0F1F
Under that key, there are 9 subkeys. 3 for the VGA and 6 for the corrupted Digital.
When I connect only the Viewsonic monitor, it never creates another key with the corrected EDID. Even when I use a program to view the edid's, it shows up as the analog one.

I have tried several guides both here and elswhere on taking control of the keys but always it fails with
"Registry Editor could not set owner on the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys."

I tried working my way up from the lowest subkey and the same thing occurs.

What I would really like to do is completely delete the Viewsonic key and have Windows create a new key on boot up.
Have you tried this?

Vista\Seven "The Registry Editor could not set security in the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys" error fix - Smartest Computing

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2012   #3
BarryBGB

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional & Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

You know, I have been looking for a fix for 2 days and finally this morning found an article about that program PSExec which is part of Windows Sysinternals PsTools.
PsExec

This is a very powerful program that allows you to edit the registry from the System Account which is way above the Admiinistrator.
It can also be very dangerous as well.

Many, many times in the past I have struggled with difficult registry keys and spent hours trying to find ways to edit or delete them.

I will keep this program on the top of my list whenever I have to delve into registry problems in the future.
I just wished I had found this years ago.

Once I ran it from the elevated cmd prompt, It never even balked when I deleted the bad keys.

Your link was right on target however I used one less switch: psexec -s -i regedit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Dec 2012   #4
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BarryBGB View Post
You know, I have been looking for a fix for 2 days and finally this morning found an article about that program PSExec which is part of Windows Sysinternals PsTools.
PsExec

This is a very powerful program that allows you to edit the registry from the System Account which is way above the Admiinistrator.
It can also be very dangerous as well.

Many, many times in the past I have struggled with difficult registry keys and spent hours trying to find ways to edit or delete them.

I will keep this program on the top of my list whenever I have to delve into registry problems in the future.
I just wished I had found this years ago.

Once I ran it from the elevated cmd prompt, It never even balked when I deleted the bad keys.

Your link was right on target however I used one less switch: psexec -s -i regedit.
I use most of the Systinternals utilities and find them to be very helpful. Mark Russinovich, the founder of Sysinternals, has moved over to Microsoft, but you can check out all of the utilities at the following site;

Sysinternals Suite

One of my favorites is "Process Explorer" which is a comprehensive replacement for MS's "Task Manager".

Glad my suggestion was beneficial.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2012   #5
BarryBGB

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional & Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
I use most of the Systinternals utilities and find them to be very helpful. Mark Russinovich, the founder of Sysinternals, has moved over to Microsoft, but you can check out all of the utilities at the following site;

Sysinternals Suite

One of my favorites is "Process Explorer" which is a comprehensive replacement for MS's "Task Manager".

Glad my suggestion was beneficial.

I'll have to give them a try.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2016   #6
ihrytsak

W7 64
 
 

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to add that this utility still works fine on Windows 10 (Surface Pro 4). Used the same modified command string. Spend hours on this problem messing with permissions until this. Many thanks.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BarryBGB View Post
You know, I have been looking for a fix for 2 days and finally this morning found an article about that program PSExec which is part of Windows Sysinternals PsTools.
PsExec

This is a very powerful program that allows you to edit the registry from the System Account which is way above the Admiinistrator.
It can also be very dangerous as well.

Many, many times in the past I have struggled with difficult registry keys and spent hours trying to find ways to edit or delete them.

I will keep this program on the top of my list whenever I have to delve into registry problems in the future.
I just wished I had found this years ago.

Once I ran it from the elevated cmd prompt, It never even balked when I deleted the bad keys.

Your link was right on target however I used one less switch: psexec -s -i regedit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot Take Ownership or Delete Certain Registry Keys Win7 64




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Unable to delete Blackberry registry keys & values
Hello, I'm running Win7Pro SP1 with all updates. I recently tried to delete all Blackberry software (desktop Manager, etc.) from my computer and found the software was not listed in the PROGRAMS section of Control Panel so I could not UNINSTALL it. So I deleted the folders with program data and...
General Discussion
Can't delete files or change ownership
I just installed Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit on two machines, and then Firefox 16.0.1 on each. Trying to replace the password files in my new Firefox profile, I found that many of these folders and files (in User\me\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla) cannot be deleted, nor can their ownership be changed. ...
General Discussion
Cannot delete certain Registry Key; Cannot change Owner of Registry Ke
In order to get rid of the *.zip folder view in WinExplorer on a64bit WIn7 system I tried to delete (according to some tutorials) the Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{E88DCCE0-B7B3-11d1-A9F0-00AA0060FA31} Unfortuantely this is NOT possible immediately....
General Discussion
Driver Sweeper can't delete all registry files in registry editor
http://i2.aijaa.com/b/00227/9175142.png So this is the situation: I've unistalled Amd Driver from Device Manager, Unistalled Catalyst software and ran Driver Sweeper. There is only 3 registeries that the Driver Sweeper CAN'T delete and these are under SYSTEM\ folder. I've tried to change user...
Drivers
Registry hacks Tested & work!!! Take Ownership
This is not my work but that of a Dutch chappy called Riso, I have installed it on my system & works a charm. 1 word of advice though, make sure you gaive your system a damned good clean as this will reduce processing time for allowing permission checking! Anyway, this is the text & instructions...
General Discussion
Can not take ownership in order to delete
Good People, I already had Win 7 RC on my laptop. I installed Win 7 RTM. After install, I had, as to be expected, a c:\windows.old folder. Using cleanmgr.exe and all other ideas, I deleted \windows.old. I can not completely delete because there are two files which claim that the owner is...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App