Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why has Windows Live Messanger icon got the "administrator" shield?

05 Dec 2012   #1
swiftie

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Why has Windows Live Messanger icon got the "administrator" shield?

In the Start menu, the icon for Windows Live Messenger has the "Admistrator" blue/yellow shield overlay. This is a shortcut, and I can find no reason why the overlay should be there.

The underlying program is C:\Program Files (x86)\windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe and that also has the shield overlay, but again, I can't find out why that is so.

Is there a guide somewhere to the steps needed to eliminate the shield overlay? I've become adept at fixing most of them, but this one has me stumped.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Dec 2012   #2
Carl Lawrence

Dual-boot: Windows 7 HP 32-bit SP1 & Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP2.
 
 

Do you have Service Pack 1 installed? If so, this usually clears it.

Also, please update/complete your pc specs, so we can help you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2012   #3
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Carl Lawrence View Post
Do you have Service Pack 1 installed? If so, this usually clears it.

Also, please update/complete your pc specs, so we can help you.
Where did you obtain the information that installing Service Pack 1 will correct the problem? Windows 7, by default, is installed without Windows Live Messenger and I am unaware of any changes in Service Pack 1. Therefore, unless the user had prior knowledge of the optional install, it would not change the WLM settings as they would be unaffected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Dec 2012   #4
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swiftie View Post
In the Start menu, the icon for Windows Live Messenger has the "Admistrator" blue/yellow shield overlay. This is a shortcut, and I can find no reason why the overlay should be there.

The underlying program is C:\Program Files (x86)\windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe and that also has the shield overlay, but again, I can't find out why that is so.

Is there a guide somewhere to the steps needed to eliminate the shield overlay? I've become adept at fixing most of them, but this one has me stumped.
Would you please post an image, I don't remember seeing the problem you describe and it could be helpful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2012   #5
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

sounds like it was run as administrator and has stayed that way, how to revert it i dont know, i would delete it and reinstall it. when you delete windows live essentials from programs and features it gives you a list of live essentials you have installed and asks you to select the ones you want to repair or delete, then you need to install it again. it should be fine after that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2012   #6
swiftie

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Carl Lawrence View Post
Do you have Service Pack 1 installed?
...
Also, please update/complete your pc specs, so we can help you.
The PC came with SP1. I've updated my PC specs, so hopefully it's my soundcard that's causing this problem; I was thinking of changing that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2012   #7
swiftie

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Would you please post an image, I don't remember seeing the problem you describe and it could be helpful.
Righty-ho; here's your image.

I've noticed quite a few icons with the shield overlay in various places across my system.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2012   #8
swiftie

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
i would delete it and reinstall it. when you delete windows live essentials from programs and features it gives you a list of live essentials you have installed and asks you to select the ones you want to repair or delete, then you need to install it again. it should be fine after that.
Well, about all I'm using is Windows Live Messenger, and that's going to Skype, so maybe I should just cut my losses and try Skype.

I also wondered about WLM executable ending up in \Program Files (x86)\ which implies that I have a 32-bit version. I doubt that's relevant to the shield icon, but who knows?

I seem to recall not being able to find a 64-bit version of WLM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2012   #9
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swiftie View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Would you please post an image, I don't remember seeing the problem you describe and it could be helpful.
Righty-ho; here's your image.

I've noticed quite a few icons with the shield overlay in various places across my system.
The yellow and blue shield icon indicates that when you open it, you will get a UAC prompt to allow/deny it, the associated program, to run as administrator.

See if the following corrects the issue;

Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2012   #10
swiftie

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
See if the following corrects the issue;

Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create
Thanks for the link. I had to fiddle with the shortcut, as I store all my own Scheduled tasks under \Swiftys\ but once done, it does the trick.

Even though my shortcut runs minimized, to prevent the cmd.exe window blinking, I still get a window blinking at me. I can see that it's a "proper" application window of some sort, but it closes so quickly I cannot see what it is. I'll video it, and play it back in slow motion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why has Windows Live Messanger icon got the "administrator" shield?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"Windows Cannot Access" my WD "My Book Live" NAS drives
New to the forum, hoping to find answers or new ideas to try... My Win7 OS computer has problems seeing my WD network drives most of the time. I'll say up front that my Macbook, my Windows XP laptops, all other computers of various types in my house see and access these drives just fine, but the...
Network & Sharing
Run "cmd.exe" as a given user and "as administrator" in command line
Hello and thank you for reading my post. If I'm logged in Windows as user "u1", I can execute "cmd.exe" "as administrator" by choosing "Start" -> "cmd.exe" and right-click "Run as administrator".I would like to start another "cmd.exe" console as "u2" and "as administrator". (So, "u2" is not...
General Discussion
Only 'Administrator' account will logon, then "Windows Genuine" issues
Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0): ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data--> Validation Code: 0x8004FE21 Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x800700b7 Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6FK7P-XQXFQ-J4MP4 Windows Product Key Hash: lNwLB5MBClr7RptLlxdkJ2WJB4I=...
Windows Updates & Activation
"run as administrator" problem, on windows 7
on a user account, i installed a firefox with "run as administrator" and it installed succefully. but the user account cannot see or use it. How can i assign the application to the currect user? thanks, han
General Discussion
Shield sign on icon(s) (not the "usual" problem)
Hi, I have searched the forum, but I just found the "usual" asks - and solutions for it - in this issue and not the right for me. My problem is; a few weeks ago on many of my icons on the taskbar (that earlier I have pre-configured to "Run as Administrator") suddenly appeared that blue-yellow...
General Discussion
"Frequent" and "attached" disappear from Explorer Icon
Hello, I got this problem today. Normally when right clicking on the "explorer" icon it shows shortcuts of folders that I added as well as frequently visited folders. But now it shows nothing but two options: "Windows explorer" and "detach the program". I tried to move new folders in but...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App