Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unknown software exception 0x40000015


08 Dec 2012   #1

Windows 7 Premium 64 bit
 
 
Unknown software exception 0x40000015

OK, my OS is Windows 7 64-bit. Recently when I started my computer, a message pops up which reads, "The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occured in the application at location 0x0029fa4d. Click OK to terminate the program."

The funny thing is, once I click OK, my laptop seems to be working fine. However this is an irritating pop up and does anyone here have any idea what this means? I seem to be getting this pop up when I removed a few toolbars from Internet Explorer. Before this, I had no problems whatsoever, so I suspect that this has got to do with my Internet Explorer.

Please advise! Thanks!



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Dec 2012   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blanchflower View Post
OK, my OS is Windows 7 64-bit. Recently when I started my computer, a message pops up which reads, "The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occured in the application at location 0x0029fa4d. Click OK to terminate the program."

The funny thing is, once I click OK, my laptop seems to be working fine. However this is an irritating pop up and does anyone here have any idea what this means? I seem to be getting this pop up when I removed a few toolbars from Internet Explorer. Before this, I had no problems whatsoever, so I suspect that this has got to do with my Internet Explorer.

Please advise! Thanks!

The 0x40000015 error may be caused by windows system files damage. There can be many events which may have resulted in the system files errors. An incomplete installation, an incomplete uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware. It can also be caused if your computer is recovered from a virus or adware/spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer. All the above activities may result in the deletion or corruption of the entries in the windows system files. This corrupted system file will lead to the missing and wrongly linked information and files needed for the proper working of the application.

Advanced Computer User Solution (manual update):
1) Start your computer and log on as an administrator.
2) Click the Start button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.
3) In the new window, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option and then click Next.
4) Select the most recent system restore point from the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then click Next.
5) Click Next on the confirmation window.
6) Restart the computer when the restoration is finished.

If the above doesn't solve the problem, use the instructions in the following link;

Disk Check

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2012   #3

Windows 7 Premium 64 bit
 
 

OK, I tried the above mentioned methods but it would not work. I still get the same error message. Is there any other way?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Dec 2012   #4

Ultimate 32bit
 
 

I think some files of you drivers are corrupted . Resulting to a minimum impact on your PC
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blanchflower View Post
OK, I tried the above mentioned methods but it would not work. I still get the same error message. Is there any other way?

Try the following;

1. Click the Start Orb.
2. Type "msconfig" in the caption box without the quotes.
3. Select the "Startup" tab.
4. Select the "Disable All" in the lower right corner (see image).
5. Reboot.

Name:  Sys Config.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  136.4 KB

Post back the results.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2012   #6

Windows 7 Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blanchflower View Post
OK, I tried the above mentioned methods but it would not work. I still get the same error message. Is there any other way?

Try the following;

1. Click the Start Orb.
2. Type "msconfig" in the caption box without the quotes.
3. Select the "Startup" tab.
4. Select the "Disable All" in the lower right corner (see image).
5. Reboot.

Attachment 244914

Post back the results.
OK, I tried this and I did NOT get the error message! So now what is the next step?

By the way, thank you so much for your kind help. You really made my day! You are a very helpful member of this forum.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2012   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blanchflower View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blanchflower View Post
OK, I tried the above mentioned methods but it would not work. I still get the same error message. Is there any other way?

Try the following;

1. Click the Start Orb.
2. Type "msconfig" in the caption box without the quotes.
3. Select the "Startup" tab.
4. Select the "Disable All" in the lower right corner (see image).
5. Reboot.

Attachment 244914

Post back the results.
OK, I tried this and I did NOT get the error message! So now what is the next step?

By the way, thank you so much for your kind help. You really made my day! You are a very helpful member of this forum.

Review the "Startup" list and see if there is an entry you recognize for a program that has been removed; ie, a program you uninstalled. If nothing looks out of place, add back just the Microsoft entries under the "Manufacturer" column, reboot and see if the message pops up.

Post back results.

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2012   #8

Windows 7 Premium 64 bit
 
 

OK, I added in these 2 Microsoft entries. They are Microsoft XBOX 360 accessories and Bing desktop. These are the 2 I can find. But when I try to restart the computer by closing my Firefox browser, I had to do a force restart. The message being 0x40000015 is not closed. So when I did a force restart, my laptop restarted and the message did NOT appear.

What is going on here?

Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2012   #9

Windows 7 Premium 64 bit
 
 

OK, I did a 2nd restart and this time, I did not have to force it. There was no error message when my laptop started. By the way, these are the programs in Start Up. They are:

Microsoft XBox 360 accessories (checked)
Bing desktop (checked)
Adobe Reader - unchecked
Updater (Manufacturer Ask) - I suspect that this is causing the problem - unchecked
Data Manager - unchecked
Google update -unchecked
Steam -unchecked
Java Platform -unchecked
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2012   #10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blanchflower View Post
OK, I added in these 2 Microsoft entries. They are Microsoft XBOX 360 accessories and Bing desktop. These are the 2 I can find. But when I try to restart the computer by closing my Firefox browser, I had to do a force restart. The message being 0x40000015 is not closed. So when I did a force restart, my laptop restarted and the message did NOT appear.

What is going on here?

Thanks!
I am slightly confused; what do you mean by "when I try to restart the computer by closing my Firefox browser". You should exit the browser prior to shutting down to be sure no files are open which will cause a Windows' notice that the program is active and pause the process.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unknown software exception 0x40000015




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33