Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Tutorial recommendations for new laptop


20 Dec 2012   #1

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Tutorial recommendations for new laptop

Hello all,

Planing to grab a new laptop in the near future and wanted to do some educating for it.

Not sure what type, but I will be doing a clean install, putting in an SSD and replacing the memory. I want to do this correctly so if I was setting this computer up today, would following these tutorials in order be a good start?


1. Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

2. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

3. RAM - Test with Memtest86+

4. Internet Troubleshooting Guide

5. Reliability Monitor - Reset

6. Optimize Windows 7

7. System Repair Disc - Create

Edited: removed original step 2 process dealing with ssd drives, and just sticking to standard SSD instillation

There are so many tutorials that offer so much info, but too many to narrow down. Just looking to the pros for some advice, but if it's already a tutorial it makes it a lot easier so if there is something else to read I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Dec 2012   #2
Microsoft MVP

 

You don't need to tweak the SSD unless problems arise then one of our SSD experts will advise you. The optimize steps are the only tweaks I would consider otherwise.

Once you swap in the SSD and check it's detected in BIOS setup, just proceed with the steps in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

If you choose to use a secondary HD for data, then copy your backed up User folders there, rightclick each to link it to the related Library - Include a Folder - Windows 7 Forums.

But I'd get a large enough SSD so all the programs, page file and hibernate file (if you use it) fit on it, since they benefit most from the speed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #3

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You don't need to tweak the SSD unless problems arise then one of our SSD experts will advise you. The optimize steps are the only tweaks I would consider otherwise.

Once you swap in the SSD and check it's detected in BIOS setup, just proceed with the steps in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

If you choose to use a secondary HD for data, then copy your backed up User folders there, rightclick each to link it to the related Library - Include a Folder - Windows 7 Forums.

But I'd get a large enough SSD so all the programs, page file and hibernate file (if you use it) fit on it, since they benefit most from the speed.
Thanks Greg, I am new to the SSD world when it comes to the technical terms so I am definitively trying to tread water safely when it comes to it, so I won't over step the tweaks in that department.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Dec 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

One thing I'd also recommend... is to buy the SSD separately rather than as part of a new laptop purchase option. The vendors appear to significantly overcharge for them and you'll be presented with a very limited selection. There are many different SSD vendors and models to choose from. And, prices will be quite a bit more reasonable, especially since there are good discounts to be found this time of year.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

You need very few 'tweaks' for Windows 7. It is aware of an SSD and optimizes itself for them. You do not need your step #2. That is for reinstalling to a drive that has an OS already installed, an I would never run 'clean all' command on an SSD. Personally, and I own 6 SSds, the only thing I do, is turn defrag to manual, disable hiberfile (if you don't use it) as it saves space on the SSD, I control the size of virtual memory depending on how much you have, I move user files to another drive (laptops are special circumstances, but it can be done) and almost nothing more. Many of the tweaking guides were made for 1ST generation SSDs and are counter-productive now. There is advice all over the internet of how to tweak SSDs. We deal with people here often who have tweaked their SSDs to death and wonder why they do not get the performance from them. Do the clean install and the installer will take care of 95% of everything that needs to be done. The installing new memory should be no issue for you. If it is installed correctly, Windows will see and use it normally if BIOS sees it. Installing an SSD is a pretty simple and painless process. Don't over complicate it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #6

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
One thing I'd also recommend... is to buy the SSD separately rather than as part of a new laptop purchase option. The vendors appear to significantly overcharge for them and you'll be presented with a very limited selection. There are many different SSD vendors and models to choose from. And, prices will be quite a bit more reasonable, especially since there are good discounts to be found this time of year.
I was looking into the Samsung 840 Pro series for my SSD

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
You need very few 'tweaks' for Windows 7. It is aware of an SSD and optimizes itself for them. You do not need your step #2. That is for reinstalling to a drive that has an OS already installed, an I would never run 'clean all' command on an SSD. Personally, and I own 6 SSds, the only thing I do, is turn defrag to manual, disable hiberfile (if you don't use it) as it saves space on the SSD, I control the size of virtual memory depending on how much you have, I move user files to another drive (laptops are special circumstances, but it can be done) and almost nothing more. Many of the tweaking guides were made for 1ST generation SSDs and are counter-productive now. There is advice all over the internet of how to tweak SSDs. We deal with people here often who have tweaked their SSDs to death and wonder why they do not get the performance from them. Do the clean install and the installer will take care of 95% of everything that needs to be done. The installing new memory should be no issue for you. If it is installed correctly, Windows will see and use it normally if BIOS sees it. Installing an SSD is a pretty simple and painless process. Don't over complicate it.

Thank you for the sound advice. I wasn't sure if step two was necessary or not, but I know now. You are right the last thing I want to do is over do something so I will take heed to this and start reading up on SSDs and the like as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

bberkey, any questions you have you could ask here. This forum has numerous well qualified SSD experts who will be very happy to answer any questions. In fact, a very high percentage of the regular members here own and use them. We would be more than happy to debunk much of the info you will find on the internet. I hope we have helped a little. That is what we do here. Just install and enjoy it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #8

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
bberkey, any questions you have you could ask here. This forum has numerous well qualified SSD experts who will be very happy to answer any questions. In fact, a very high percentage of the regular members here own and use them. We would be more than happy to debunk much of the info you will find on the internet. I hope we have helped a little. That is what we do here. Just install and enjoy it.
Thank you essenbe. It's reassuring to know there are so many experts to lean on for advice. I am taking as much info in as I can before I make my new purchase so I am just trying to make sure that my plan of action is sound, which is why I posted this and you have already helped me prevent a blunder. Thanks again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Tutorial recommendations for new laptop




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Tutorial recommendations for new laptop
Thread Forum
Solved Laptop case recommendations Chillout Room
MAC OS X Lion on Laptop tutorial PLEASE???? Chillout Room
PSU Recommendations Hardware & Devices
MS Project YouTube tutorial recommendations? Microsoft Office
Any recommendations for a good laptop cooler Gaming
ASUS Monitor and Acer Laptop Recommendations Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33