Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Deactivate Vista


30 Sep 2009   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Deactivate Vista

So before I install Windows 7, do I need to deactivate Vista so I can install it again if I wanted to or if there was to be a problem with my Windows 7 file?

Just that some other pieces of software like Photoshop reccommend that you deactivate software before getting rid of it so you can use the product key again if you wanted to reinstall it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Sep 2009   #2

 

No. Not Vista. MS will "deactivate" it the next time it is installed - under some circumstances.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #3

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by QuackPot View Post
So before I install Windows 7, do I need to deactivate Vista so I can install it again if I wanted to or if there was to be a problem with my Windows 7 file?

Just that some other pieces of software like Photoshop reccommend that you deactivate software before getting rid of it so you can use the product key again if you wanted to reinstall it.
Install 7 on the PC and use telephone activation to activate the new
copy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Sep 2009   #4

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Instead, why not image your Vista drive/partition so if you need to restore it you wont have to worry about reactivating it, and re-installing all of your programs...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #5

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Instead, why not image your Vista drive/partition so if you need to restore it you wont have to worry about reactivating it, and re-installing all of your programs...
Sound advice.

I'm not sure what Lemur is saying about phone activation. He may be referring to a future re-install of Vista should the license key fail to activate automatically online.

I gave my retail copy of Vist32 to my niece a few days ago and MS is requiring phone activation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I did a full backup onto a DVD when I first loaded up my laptop so I can reinstall that if needed and my gran has a Vista DVD that came with her laptop so everything there should be good but I know MS are real tight when it comes to things like these.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #7

 

QuackPot, you are good to go.

Get quacking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #8

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Just keep in mind that there is a big difference between an imaging the drive and a backup... An image records the exact state of a drive and/or a partition, it will restore it to that exact same state. Depending on the type of backup you perform, this may not be the case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #9

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Just keep in mind that there is a big difference between an imaging the drive and a backup... An image records the exact state of a drive and/or a partition, it will restore it to that exact same state. Depending on the type of backup you perform, this may not be the case.
It was a full backup of my C drive using the adobe software and was something like 7GB. But since my gran has the Vista install DVD I can easily install that, enter my vista key then restore my original image should I need to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #10

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Then Antman is correct ... get quacking....

It was unclear to me what you meant by backup... thanks for the clarification...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Deactivate Vista




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Deactivate Vista
Thread Forum
Changing 90% of my PC - can I deactivate/reactivate? Windows Updates & Activation
Autohide doesn't deactivate Customization
Solved Deactivate LA Noire? Gaming
how to deactivate d&d interceptor? Software
Solved Deactivate the log in screen General Discussion
When will 2010 RC deactivate? Microsoft Office
IS it possible to deactivate InPrivate Browsing? Browsers & Mail

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33