Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Unable to set user settings for administrators or unknown users

27 Dec 2012   #1

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 
Unable to set user settings for administrators or unknown users

That is the error message I get when I try to modify parental controls. Help

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Dec 2012   #2

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2012   #3

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

...and is the account a standard user?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Dec 2012   #4

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
...and is the account a standard user?
I already tried sfc scannow, it came up with corrupt files, but nothing that fixed the problem. The account was made into a standard account before trying to set up parental controls. Still need help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2012   #5

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Did you run the sfc scan several times? Does the sfc scan now indicate no further problems?

You might create a new standard user account as a test and see if you can set the parental controls on that account.

If need be, try this:
Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2012   #6

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Did you run the sfc scan several times? Does the sfc scan now indicate no further problems?

You might create a new standard user account as a test and see if you can set the parental controls on that account.

If need be, try this:
Repair Install
My windows is a fresh installation, there should be 0 problems. I haven't touched the registry. Sfc doesnt work. bump
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2012   #7

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Matlet View Post
........Sfc doesnt work.....
Did you run the sfc scan several times?

Please post a screenshot of the one of your sfc scans.
Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2012   #8

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Matlet View Post
........Sfc doesnt work.....
Did you run the sfc scan several times?

Please post a screenshot of the one of your sfc scans.
Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
Yes I ran it several times. All it said was system file checker didnt find corrupt files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2012   #9

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Cool - earlier you mentioned that "I already tried sfc scannow, it came up with corrupt files..." and now the sfc scans are coming up clean. :-)

I understand that you are working with a fresh install of Windows 7, but have you tried creating a fresh user profile? ...one that starts off as a standard user. See if you can apply parental controls that that fresh test account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2013   #10

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Cool - earlier you mentioned that "I already tried sfc scannow, it came up with corrupt files..." and now the sfc scans are coming up clean. :-)

I understand that you are working with a fresh install of Windows 7, but have you tried creating a fresh user profile? ...one that starts off as a standard user. See if you can apply parental controls that that fresh test account.
Yes it did come up with corrupt files but I found out what it was about. And to elaborate, it was my tweak in the windows media library where I have changed the windows shutdown sound from default to my own preference. So sfc was a false alarm. It did NOT fix my problem. I already tried applying parental controls to a fresh account, but the issue persists. :/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unable to set user settings for administrators or unknown users





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33