Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I provide Win7 DVD to customer if I use OEM?

08 Jan 2013   #11
Mugsy

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
You can use a retail Windows 7 installation disc to install Windows 7 on any computer.

What matters is that the Windows 7 installation disc must be the same edition that the product key is for.

For example, you obviously can't activate an installed Windows 7 Ultimate with a Windows 7 Home Premium product key.
I assume that means I can't install using my OEM copy of Home Pro 64 then give them the downloaded Win7 Home Pro 64 DVD.

Not that it matters. Just hoping to save them a few bucks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jan 2013   #12
gregrocker

 

Yes you can install with your retail OEM disk, then provide them with the same version retail installer from Dell. These are the same installers. Only the key determines which version (Ultimate, Premium, Pro, etc - OEM, Upgrade, Full) will activate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #13
Mugsy

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Yes you can install with your retail OEM disk, then provide them with the same version retail installer from Dell. These are the same installers. Only the key determines which version (Ultimate, Premium, Pro, etc - OEM, Upgrade, Full) will activate.
That helps a lot, thanks.

Do you know if installing Win7 from my OEM disk is any cheaper to register/activate?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jan 2013   #14
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Yes you can install with your retail OEM disk, then provide them with the same version retail installer from Dell. These are the same installers. Only the key determines which version (Ultimate, Premium, Pro, etc - OEM, Upgrade, Full) will activate.
That helps a lot, thanks.

Do you know if installing Win7 from my OEM disk is any cheaper to register/activate?
If you install, there will be no Product Key for them to activate. They will have to buy a Product Key which is going to be in the $100 area. It would make things easier for them if you make the purchase while you are building the PC then you can enter the activation key and give them the Win 7 disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #15
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Yep, you would almost be better off buying a retail OEM copy of Windows 7 in a package for this. This way it'll have the key and DVD, and be more official looking than some home made burned DVD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #16
richnrockville

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

FWIW: (based on my understanding of the oem program) If you are a system builder and building a system for a client and you buy a OEM copy of windows for the machine. You are required to transfer the whole system and the system disk with sticker placed on the new computer. You should be ok and the end user will have a legitimate copy of windows 7 and the validation sticker to put the code into their computer if necessary. although mose OEM's setup the machine so that the end user will have to login and put the validation code into the computer when they first turn it on.

I could be wrong. but don't think so.

Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #17
Mugsy

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Retail vs OEM

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
If you install, there will be no Product Key for them to activate. They will have to buy a Product Key which is going to be in the $100 area. It would make things easier for them if you make the purchase while you are building the PC then you can enter the activation key and give them the Win 7 disk.
Thanks. My only hope/concern was that I might have been able to save them a few bucks installing the OEM version rather than full retail.

If the price to activate the OEM copy is the same as installing & activating the Full Retail version, there's no point. I don't want to give them an OEM disk because it contains almost twice as much data as the basic retail disc and is a tad less user-friendly.

I will be activating it myself (in their name) before handing over the hardware. Thx.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #18
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

The OEM and the Full Retail are the same. The only difference is the OEM is cheaper and is tied to the one machine. Check this out. What's the difference between Windows 7 retail and OEM? - Microsoft Community
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #19
Mugsy

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
The OEM and the Full Retail are the same. The only difference is the OEM is cheaper and is tied to the one machine. Check this out. What's the difference between Windows 7 retail and OEM? - Microsoft Community
Great. Then what I'll probably do is install & register Win7 using my OEM copy (saving the customer a few bucks), then just provide them the downloaded Retail copy of Win7 on DVD for emergencies & recovery/repair.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #20
Mugsy

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
The OEM and the Full Retail are the same.
Addendum: Sure is a wet & miserable day here in Houston, huh?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I provide Win7 DVD to customer if I use OEM?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How can I get my USB 3.0 ports to provide 900mA?
Hi! My motherboard is asus sabertooth 990FX v1 with the latest bios and drivers, and I have a Galaxy S3 that I would like to charge faster. I know that usb 2.0 provides up to 500 mA and usb 3.0 provides up to 900mA. But when I check my usb ports on device manager (windows 7 64bit), they all seem...
Hardware & Devices
Microsoft Customer Satisfaction Improves, Likely due to Win7
More...
News
Got customer's Win7 Upgrade Key; have no install media!
Hey guys, Got an interesting one here. I need a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit UPGRADE install disc to use with her student-purchased ultimate upgrade key. How the heck can I obtain one of those? TechNet has nothing of the sort. Thanks, :) Steve
Installation & Setup
provide admin permission???
Hi, Hope this is the right place to post this... last night I logged on to the net via my nokia N85 and it asked me to set up a home group network, I chose the share everything 1 (with the bench chair) and all went well. Till I noticed that now I get asked to "provide administrator permission"...
System Security
You need to provide administration permision---
Can some one advise please. This has just started to happen, ( I think ). If I rename an icon or favicon on my Win 7 Desktop a window appears that states, " You need to provide Administration permision to rename this file", If I click OK, it gets renamed. Can I rename without this...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:56.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App