Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Bootmgr is missing

08 Jan 2013   #11

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Type:

sel dis 0
list part
sel part 1 (for System Rserved partition)
Det part

Doe it say it's Active?

If not type:

Active
exit

Now run Startup Repair - Run up to 3 Separate Times no matter what it reports.

If this fails to Start Windows 7 change the Active flag to C and try again.

These are listed in Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start
along with everything else that can be done to start unbootable Windows 7.
It said active and I was trying to do what you recommended but when I was supposed to type in Del partition, I didnt capitalize the d so it deleted it...I know stupid...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jan 2013   #12

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Would I be able to take the hard drive out and try to restore the bootmgr by plugging it in to my desktop and using a program such as easybcd? Or would that mess up the booting of my desktop?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #13
Microsoft MVP

 

No, it's different hardware which will interfere.

Have you worked through all of the steps in Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

The command is Det(tail) partition. If you deleted the partition instead, run free Partition Wizard Partition Recovery Wizard - Video Help.

But first try moving the Active flag to C to run the three separate Repairs.

You haven't confirmed you've done any of this. So please report back what you've done.

There are other steps using PW CD in the tutorial.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Jan 2013   #14

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
No, it's different hardware which will interfere.

Have you worked through all of the steps in Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

The command is Det(tail) partition. If you deleted the partition instead, run free Partition Wizard Partition Recovery Wizard - Video Help.

But first try moving the Active flag to C to run the three separate Repairs.

You haven't confirmed you've done any of this. So please report back what you've done.

There are other steps using PW CD in the tutorial.
I have been trying to go through all the steps in your first link and I'm almost done. How do I move the active flag to c?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #15
Microsoft MVP

 

Either using the Partition Wizard CD to rightclick on C to Modify>Set to Active

or using the Windows 7 DVD or Repair CD use Option Two to Mark Partition Active
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2013   #16

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by live2ride184 View Post
It said active and I was trying to do what you recommended but when I was supposed to type in Del partition, I didnt capitalize the d so it deleted it...I know stupid...
det part not del part

Uppercase ot lowercase doesn't matter is most commands.
Did you really delete system reserved?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2013   #17

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Either using the Partition Wizard CD to rightclick on C to Modify>Set to Active

or using the Windows 7 DVD or Repair CD use Option Two to Mark Partition Active
So I plugged the hard drive into my desktop, and in disk management, saw the 100mb partition I deleted and went through the steps so I could use it. I then put the HD back into the touchsmart and made the partition active and ran startup repair three times. But I still get bootmrg is missing. Also I went into the bios settings and saw that the DVD was first in boot priority so I restored the defaults but it still is. Why is that?
After everytime I run startup repair I get this screen.


Attached Thumbnails
Bootmgr is missing-photo-jan-09-4-07-30-pm.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2013   #18
Microsoft MVP

 

We have no idea what you did when you plugged in the HD to recover the 100mb partition. Can you post back a screenshot of the maximized DIsk Mgmt window showing drive map with all listings?

Did you run 3 separate Startup Repairs no matter what it reports, each with reboot? Have you already done this with C itself marked Active as it says in the Troubleshooting steps?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2013   #19

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
We have no idea what you did when you plugged in the HD to recover the 100mb partition. Can you post back a screenshot of the maximized DIsk Mgmt window showing drive map with all listings?

Did you run 3 separate Startup Repairs no matter what it reports, each with reboot? Have you already done this with C itself marked Active as it says in the Troubleshooting steps?
I plugged it in to my desktop and opened disk managment. I saw the partition said unalocatted.


I right clicked and clicked on create new simple volume.


Then it looked as it does below.


Then I plugged it back in to the touchsmart and booted the repair disk and then in diskpart, made the partition active, rebooted, ran startup repair, rebooted, ran startup repair, rebooted, ran startup repair, and tried to boot into windows and I am still gettting the bootmgr is missing message.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2013   #20
Microsoft MVP

 

Then mark the OS partition Active and run the 3 repairs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Bootmgr is missing




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Bootmgr is missing
Thread Forum
Bootmgr.exe missing... mpio.sys missing or corrupted. Unable to boot General Discussion
BOOTMGR Missing BSOD Help and Support
bootmgr is missing General Discussion
bootmgr missing error, became bootmgr MISSING. General Discussion
Missing bootmgr BSOD Help and Support
BOOTMGR missing? Installation & Setup
Bootmgr missing... Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33