Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Locking up, winsock reset is only fix


11 Jan 2013   #1

32
 
 
Windows 7 Locking up, winsock reset is only fix

We have quite a few laptops that are locking up when turned on. Sometimes a reboot will fix this, other times, we are forced to reset the winsock. I've ran Dell diagnostics and the drive diagnostics. I've seen nothing that is wrong. The event log show various items, but the only critical item is a kernel-power. The rest are errors or warnings. I've also updated the bios to a newer version too. Tech at Dell are pushing a reinstall of the OS, which really is a last option.

Dell E6330 Laptops, 32 bit Windows 7
SED Drives, encrypted and using Kaspersky for AV
Using Verizon phones with their hotspots for Internet

It's not all of my computers, but various ones. All worked fine during setup, but started to have issues after my users got them.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jan 2013   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Hi jweitzel,


Not sure if this will help your issue or if you have already tried these methods but it will check your files
and disk for errors and eliminate these problems and there is no harm in trying these.


Start>Type cmd> Right click and run as Administrator, then run chkdsk:


run a chkdsk /f /r to make sure you don’t have any disk errors

then run System File checker:


run sfc.exe /scannow to validate your system files


If any faults found reboot and see if issue is still present.


Also check and install latest drivers.


Hope this helps

Cheer

Dave
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2013   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

What happens when you boot into safe mode?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Jan 2013   #4

32
 
 

Safe mode runs fine and I've ran the chkdsk and sfc scannow. The network drivers are on my list to do next. I actually ran those first, prior to the winsock reset, and at this point, this is the only thing that fixes it and unsure how long this will last.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2013   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jweitzel View Post
Safe mode runs fine and I've ran the chkdsk and sfc scannow. The network drivers are on my list to do next. I actually ran those first, prior to the winsock reset, and at this point, this is the only thing that fixes it and unsure how long this will last.
Hi,

If it runs fine in safe mode then possible driver issues, update all drivers

Cheers

Dave
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2013   #6

32
 
 
Update to my issues

I've ran specific driver updates on various laptops. I ran to dell.com and looked under my laptops and chose the NIC drivers and a serial ata driver that was deemed "Urgent" and I still am having the issue. I've tried both the LAN and wireless drivers. I've also checked to verify that the Dell, DW LAN service is not running ( conflicts with Windows ) and I am no further ahead than I was last week.

My tech support from Dell wants me to wipe the system, which really isn't an option, considering the number of laptops I would have to reconfigure. I'm attaching a screenshot of my "Dell" driver options, or I'm hoping it attached. Backup, Dell Data are not options I would run. Bios has already been updated too.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2013   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jweitzel View Post
I've ran specific driver updates on various laptops. I ran to dell.com and looked under my laptops and chose the NIC drivers and a serial ata driver that was deemed "Urgent" and I still am having the issue. I've tried both the LAN and wireless drivers. I've also checked to verify that the Dell, DW LAN service is not running ( conflicts with Windows ) and I am no further ahead than I was last week.

My tech support from Dell wants me to wipe the system, which really isn't an option, considering the number of laptops I would have to reconfigure. I'm attaching a screenshot of my "Dell" driver options, or I'm hoping it attached. Backup, Dell Data are not options I would run. Bios has already been updated too.
Hi,

Well if they run fine in safe-mode then its unlikely its hardware, so that good-ish news.
If they are all the same make and model laptop, then it is likely that there is a common denominator and all the faults are same or similar faults, i.e. - like the same installed program etc. (I know this isnt helping much...but we have very little to go on at this point without further info).

Please upload your msinfo32.nfo file. To get this:
Start Menu -> Type msinfo32 into the Search programs and files box
-> When it opens, go to File, Save -> Save as msinfo32.nfo and save in a place you will remember
-> Let it finish the process of gathering and saving the system info
-> Right click the .nfo file, click send to compressed (zipped) folder -> Upload the .zip file here.

There maybe something in there that might point to the problem. Obviously just do it for say 2 laptops that you know are having the issues with and we can compare.

Consider using a different Anti-virus than Kaspersky, try Microsoft essentials which is free and has a smaller footprint.

Have you considered a repair install? All your data, drivers etc will be untouched. Please read this guide:

Repair Install

Sorry I can offer a precise solution, but were talking multiple laptops!!

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers

Dave
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2013   #8
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Kaspersky's firewall may be the problem.

Have you also flushed the DNS cache and restored Microsoft's Host file, on these computers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2013   #9

32
 
 

I will take a peek at one of the laptops ms32 file and see what we can find. Kaspersky is our corporate AV, so replacing it in the field probably isn't an option and I don't want anyone running "naked" without it. We're actually running identical laptops across the board, some have a tweaked image from Dell, the others default. Goofy thing is, is that it's sporadic. Some no issues at all, others, repeated issues. We are setting our own host files as a secondary way to deny users viewing unwelcomed sites if they do not vpn in.

I have not flushed the dns cache, but that is an idea I will put on my attempt list. I have not tried a repair yet, problem is, that my users are almost all remote, but if I can get my hands on one, I'll try it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2013   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jweitzel View Post
I will take a peek at one of the laptops ms32 file and see what we can find. Kaspersky is our corporate AV, so replacing it in the field probably isn't an option and I don't want anyone running "naked" without it. We're actually running identical laptops across the board, some have a tweaked image from Dell, the others default. Goofy thing is, is that it's sporadic. Some no issues at all, others, repeated issues. We are setting our own host files as a secondary way to deny users viewing unwelcomed sites if they do not vpn in.

I have not flushed the dns cache, but that is an idea I will put on my attempt list. I have not tried a repair yet, problem is, that my users are almost all remote, but if I can get my hands on one, I'll try it.
Hi jweitzel,

Im really at a loss what your next course of action could be, as Jacee and I suggested (Either Firewall or uninstall) it could be a Kaspersky problem, can you not try it on one laptop perhaps...just to eliminate that as a cause? And if this is found to be the case then at least you can advise your company of the problem and let them decide what to do?
And if its sporadic then I would approach the problem one laptop at a time.

Let us know any further developments and hopefully we might be able to shed a bit of light on the situation.

Cheers

Dave
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Locking up, winsock reset is only fix




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 Locking up, winsock reset is only fix
Thread Forum
Solved i believe my winsock may be corrupt Network & Sharing
Resetting Winsock Protocol Network & Sharing
Problem after Winsock reset Network & Sharing
windows 7 locking up BSOD Help and Support
Accidental winsock reset removed custom startup image Customization
Losing network connection, winsock memory problem? Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33