Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What O/S do you recommend for my Dell T105 Workstation/server?


19 Jan 2013   #1

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
What O/S do you recommend for my Dell T105 Workstation/server?

I would like to ask some advice

I have recently purchased a Dell T105 Workstation/Server.

I aim to use it as a multi-media hub of sorts to store Videos, music, photos etc that can be accessed
by all the other computers on my network (and from the net). I want use it as a server (with no keyboard, mouse or screen attached).

It came with no O/S installed (I parted with only one 20 note ).
So my question is, as its a workstation/server, which O/S would suit my needs best.....I was just going to install Microsoft Windows Home server on it? (anyone used this and if so would it suit my needs?).

Maybe one of you guys has a better, more practical option or suggestion?

Any advice is much appreciated

Cheers

Dave


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jan 2013   #2

Windows 7
 
 

Hi there Dave,

Windows Home Server would be fine if you was just going to use it as a multi-media hub or even what I prefer to use is Windows Server 2008 just incase I want to do other things and run other applications etc...

You could of saved a bit of money by buying a NAS and using that to store photo's and videos etc.. But hey ho .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2013   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by D3LL View Post
Hi there Dave,

Windows Home Server would be fine if you was just going to use it as a multi-media hub or even what I prefer to use is Windows Server 2008 just incase I want to do other things and run other applications etc...

You could of saved a bit of money by buying a NAS and using that to store photo's and videos etc.. But hey ho .
Hi,

Cheers for the info, I got Server 2008 to try, so lets see if that will be the one

cheers

Dave
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Jan 2013   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

For what you say, it would only work as a file server right? For that, any Windows version will really do. Never tried Windows Home Server, but I readed that it includes more backup options oriented at home users. Win2008 or 2012 will do too and they have a far more range of services (and a huge price too), and you can try it free for 180 days. Windows XP or 7 are fine for this too. Even if they're not dedicated to be servers, they are fine for home or small networks where you don't need a domain.
For serving files or managing over internet if you need that, you may install a FTP server or even SSH/SFTP for better security. Standard Windows shares are good for in home use only.

Of course, Linux is a much better option for servers if you know how to manage it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jan 2013   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
For what you say, it would only work as a file server right? For that, any Windows version will really do. Never tried Windows Home Server, but I readed that it includes more backup options oriented at home users. Win2008 or 2012 will do too and they have a far more range of services (and a huge price too), and you can try it free for 180 days. Windows XP or 7 are fine for this too. Even if they're not dedicated to be servers, they are fine for home or small networks where you don't need a domain.
For serving files or managing over internet if you need that, you may install a FTP server or even SSH/SFTP for better security. Standard Windows shares are good for in home use only.

Of course, Linux is a much better option for servers if you know how to manage it.
Cheers for the info
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jan 2013   #6
Microsoft MVP

 

Just to make sure look on the tower to see if there is a COA sticker with a Product Key since you can then reinstall the licensed OS on it. But since it's a server station it may not have one, in which case i think Server 2008 is a good idea or any other post-XP OS you have lying around.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2013   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Just to make sure look on the tower to see if there is a COA sticker with a Product Key since you can then reinstall the licensed OS on it. But since it's a server station it may not have one, in which case i think Server 2008 is a good idea or any other post-XP OS you have lying around.
Hi Greg,

I tried that already, but no COA , I even tried using the Dell Service tag, as Dell will send you re-imaging disks as a one off good will gesture free, but the machine was originally bought with no O/S...go figure, and hence no COA!! Server 2008 is good, but its only gonna be a home server so I was actually thinking maybe Windows 7, remove all the unwanted progs etc, and just use that and keep it simple.

Cheers for the input Greg, always appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What O/S do you recommend for my Dell T105 Workstation/server?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: What O/S do you recommend for my Dell T105 Workstation/server?
Thread Forum
Do I need a workstation or server? Network & Sharing
help, services.msc (Server and Workstation) System Security
BSOD @ Enterprise Server (used as home workstation) BSOD Help and Support
Feedback for my Web Development Server/Workstation Build PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Sooper Fast OS W2008 X -64 Server on a Workstation Virtualization
Vmware Virtual Server AND workstation together Virtualization
New Dell Workstation Recomendations Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33