Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: desktop icon fonts unreadable

03 Oct 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
desktop icon fonts unreadable

How can I make Windows 7 desktop icon text/fonts black? They are white and unreadable in my preferred backgound

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Oct 2009   #2

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Welcome to Seven Forums, amcn!

Sorry for the delay in responding, folks must be at dinner...

There's a good tutorial here - Fonts - Change that ought to take care of your issue.

Edit: This only works for "Classic" themes. If you prefer to keep your Aero theme, the following will make the white text readable on a white background:

Control Panel -> System. Click on "Advanced System Settings"

Click on "Performance Settings" and look for "use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop" Click to enable it.

Now the labels should be visible on any background.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2009   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSchaft View Post
Welcome to Seven Forums, amcn!

Sorry for the delay in responding, folks must be at dinner...

There's a good tutorial here - Fonts - Change that ought to take care of your issue.

Edit: This only works for "Classic" themes. If you prefer to keep your Aero theme, the following will make the white text readable on a white background:

Control Panel -> System. Click on "Advanced System Settings"

Click on "Performance Settings" and look for "use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop" Click to enable it.

Now the labels should be visible on any background.
Thanks for your replies to my problem. I had tried whith Classic but when I go to advance settings Ii notice that for "menu" etc it is possible to change colour (this is the exaple in the tutorial) but for "icon" the colour change tab for fonts is greyed out so not possible to change the colour of the text for icons. I have also tried the drop shadow on Aero themes but the icon text is very difficult to read. I have also tried changing fonts and using larger sizes etc. It is a shame that a basic black font has been ommitted from Win 7 desktop icons
Thanks for trying to help!
amcn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7
 
 

I have attached pics of my desktop with 3 sizes of icons on my 22" monitor, it is easier to explain with a pic!
I prefer the small icons and have no problem in XP with black text - instant readability.
The Windows 7 white is probably OK for gamers but not for buisiness or professionals in a hurry!
I thought that the black icon text omission was an oversight in Windows 7 RC
If anyone has found a workaround for getting desktop icon black text, I would be eternally grateful as otherwise I have found the Windows 7 a huge improvement on previous OS but I do need to be able to read the icon text quickly when I switch on.
amcn

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Anna/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]


Attached Files
File Type: doc Small medium and large icons.doc (1.00 MB, 89 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2009   #5

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Again, sorry for the delay, but I have found a way to make the text black for you

I got this from another site, and it works.


*Make sure you de-select "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop".

*Now, right click, go to personalize, then go to desktop background, then go to solid colors. Click white background, apply. The text will have changed to black.

*Now go back to select the picture that you want to be your background.

Note that this works until you select drop shadows again - at that point you're back to white. No drop shadows, but at least you can have black text!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2009   #6

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSchaft View Post
Again, sorry for the delay, but I have found a way to make the text black for you

I got this from another site, and it works.


*Make sure you de-select "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop".

*Now, right click, go to personalize, then go to desktop background, then go to solid colors. Click white background, apply. The text will have changed to black.

*Now go back to select the picture that you want to be your background.

Note that this works until you select drop shadows again - at that point you're back to white. No drop shadows, but at least you can have black text!

Hi, oh this was worth waiting for!!!!
It works a treat
Thsnk you - it even works with solid cream too
I appreciate your perseverance in finding a solution for my icon label problem
Thanks again! --- and again !!!
AMCN
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2009   #7

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amcn View Post

Hi, oh this was worth waiting for!!!!
It works a treat
Thsnk you - it even works with solid cream too
I appreciate your perseverance in finding a solution for my icon label problem
Thanks again! --- and again !!!
AMCN
You're welcome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2010   #8

Win 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Hi guys. Has anyone else encountered the "unremovable desktop icon text shadow" problem with aero activated?
This is driving me crazy. When I go to control panel / system / advanced system settings / performance settings / visual effects / use drop shadows for icon labels..... and UNCHECK IT nothing happens.
Horrid shadows are still there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 desktop icon fonts unreadable




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: desktop icon fonts unreadable
Thread Forum
fonts change - unreadable General Discussion
Icon on desktop goes transparent after deleting another icon General Discussion
Solved Problem with seeing fonts on my desktop General Discussion
recycle bin icon missing (not the desktop icon) Themes and Styles
White 'File' icon showing over top of normal desktop icon General Discussion
Desktop fonts Customization
Desktop Fonts Problem Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33