Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Move a folder within the appdata/roaming folder to another location?


22 Jan 2013   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Move a folder within the appdata/roaming folder to another location?

Hi.

I have a boot drive which is 250gb (My C drive). I have Win 7 and some apps on it.
I have installed Steam on my other hard drive. So far most games have been cooperative and install their folders close to Steam!

However, one game in particular (Empire Total War) has installed one of its folders in "C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly".

From experience from my old PC, I know this folder (The Creative Assembly) can grow to close to 20gb in a matter of a year. I don't want that to happen and therefore thought of relocating, moving, or redirecting this folder (The Creative Assembly) to another location.

How do I do that and is that recommended? (I could simply go ahead and do this right now, but I would rather get some expert opinions first before any instabilities in my system).

Thank you.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jan 2013   #2

Win7 Ultimate X64
 
 

If you attempt to move the folder any programs dependant on that folder would have to know where to look for it, if you do attempt it i would leave the original in situ and copy/paste to new drive then attempt to redirect program if it fails then you still have original

Im not familiar with steam but as long as you can redirect the games save file path to new location if you have that option then i dont see why you cant do it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2013   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly
Is that the only folder you want to relocate? You want it on another disk like D, E,F for exmaple?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Jan 2013   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly
Is that the only folder you want to relocate? You want it on another disk like D, E,F for exmaple?
Yes. "The Creative Assembly" folder is the only folder I want to redirect or move (which ever makes more sense in your opinion).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2013   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xerxesaria View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly
Is that the only folder you want to relocate? You want it on another disk like D, E,F for exmaple?
Yes. "The Creative Assembly" folder is the only folder I want to redirect or move (which ever makes more sense in your opinion).
Please gave exact original source name and destination name
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2013   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xerxesaria View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly
Is that the only folder you want to relocate? You want it on another disk like D, E,F for exmaple?
Yes. "The Creative Assembly" folder is the only folder I want to redirect or move (which ever makes more sense in your opinion).
Please gave exact original source name and destination name
Ok. So: Source name as in my original post, is:
C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly

This means that I ONLY want to move or redirect the folder named "The Creative Assembly" out of Roaming on my C Drive which is my boot drive.

I want to either move or redirect it to my larger hard drive (my V Drive). On that drive, I have installed Steam and its associated apps and games. [The creative assembly is the ONLY game that keeps making a folder on the appdata/roaming folder].

So the path I like to move or redirect "The creative assembly" folder to would be almost certainly this:

V:\Steam\steamapps\common

I appreciate your help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2013   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

  1. in windows explorer goto C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming
  2. Move The Creative Assembly (the folder itself) for example to V:\example. Everything that was in C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly is now in V:\example\The Creative Assembly . C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly doesn't exist anymore.
  3. MKLINK/J "C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly" "V:\example\The Creative Assembly"
  4. Make a new test file in "C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly". Do you see same file in "V:\example\The Creative Assembly" ???
  5. Delete the test file
If any program (even explorer) accesses C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly it is automatically redirected to V:\example\The Creative Assembly

works?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2013   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
  1. in windows explorer goto C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming
  2. Move The Creative Assembly (the folder itself) for example to V:\example. Everything that was in C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly is now in V:\example\The Creative Assembly . C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly doesn't exist anymore.
  3. MKLINK/J "C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly" "V:\example\The Creative Assembly"
  4. Make a new test file in "C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly". Do you see same file in "V:\example\The Creative Assembly" ???
  5. Delete the test file
If any program (even explorer) accesses C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly it is automatically redirected to V:\example\The Creative Assembly

works?
Alright. I shall try this method and let you know about the outcome. I will probably need few hours to test this to make sure it is fail-proof! Thanks. Please stay tuned. I appreciate it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2013   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xerxesaria View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
  1. in windows explorer goto C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming
  2. Move The Creative Assembly (the folder itself) for example to V:\example. Everything that was in C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly is now in V:\example\The Creative Assembly . C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly doesn't exist anymore.
  3. MKLINK/J "C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly" "V:\example\The Creative Assembly"
  4. Make a new test file in "C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly". Do you see same file in "V:\example\The Creative Assembly" ???
  5. Delete the test file
If any program (even explorer) accesses C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly it is automatically redirected to V:\example\The Creative Assembly

works?
Alright. I shall try this method and let you know about the outcome. I will probably need few hours to test this to make sure it is fail-proof! Thanks. Please stay tuned. I appreciate it
But remember.... all stuff is actually in V:\example\The Creative Assembly.
Anything that accesses C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly actually accesses V:\example\The Creative Assembly

Try to make a test file in C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly
Try to delete that testfile.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2013   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xerxesaria View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
  1. in windows explorer goto C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming
  2. Move The Creative Assembly (the folder itself) for example to V:\example. Everything that was in C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly is now in V:\example\The Creative Assembly . C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly doesn't exist anymore.
  3. MKLINK/J "C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly" "V:\example\The Creative Assembly"
  4. Make a new test file in "C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly". Do you see same file in "V:\example\The Creative Assembly" ???
  5. Delete the test file
If any program (even explorer) accesses C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly it is automatically redirected to V:\example\The Creative Assembly

works?
Alright. I shall try this method and let you know about the outcome. I will probably need few hours to test this to make sure it is fail-proof! Thanks. Please stay tuned. I appreciate it
But remember.... all stuff is actually in V:\example\The Creative Assembly.
Anything that accesses C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly actually accesses V:\example\The Creative Assembly

Try to make a test file in C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly
Try to delete that testfile.
So it is done now . I am going to try and run the game in a few minutes. I was wondering if you could also kindly provide me with a method for undoing the junction as well....Just in case!

What has happened so far is that Windows (cmd prompt) confirmed that a junction was created. Then, when I looked in C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming, I saw a "shortcut" of the folder "The creative Assembly" created in it.

When I tried to go to your step 4, obviously Windows asked me if I wanted to replace the new created "The creative Assembly" folder with the one that was already there, i.e. the shortcut.
I am so far assuming that everything has gone fine.
I hope that you can still help me out in the next day if anything arises and I want to undo this, just in case (as I mentioned above)!!!

Thanks again.....over to the game.



.....15 minutes later:

I played the game with the shortcut in C drive and the main folder in V drive. I made couple of saves during the game; went back and saw that the game had saved both on the V drive AND the short cut!
So, I deleted the shortcut.
Went back and played the game and made couple of saves....guess what?

I looked in C drive and the game made a new folder on it!!! HAHAHAAHAHAH...it is just so very assertive to do what it wants.

Can I "unjunction" the original folder that I took to the V drive or can I just delete it? I think I'm going to have to live with the fact that this game likes my C drive very much.

(I contacted Sega and Steam as well.....they said they couldn't help me either).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Move a folder within the appdata/roaming folder to another location?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33