Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows hangs on logging off/shutting down

24 Jan 2013   #1
mysherryamour

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Windows hangs on logging off/shutting down

Exactly what the title says. Also I'm not sure if this is related but every time I try to make a restore point it says "Shadow copy timed out". It started doing this like a few days ago and I've successfully made several restore points before this. However, now it says that I only have one restore point. Also according to the EVENT VIEWER I've had countless errors.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Jan 2013   #2
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mysherryamour View Post
Exactly what the title says. Also I'm not sure if this is related but every time I try to make a restore point it says "Shadow copy timed out". It started doing this like a few days ago and I've successfully made several restore points before this. However, now it says that I only have one restore point. Also according to the EVENT VIEWER I've had countless errors.
Hangs as in "never completes" or "takes a long time"?

Visit the following link for "Shadow copy timed out"
Can't do system restore - error message says "timed out"

See image below regarding Event Viewer
-event-viewer.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2013   #3
mysherryamour

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

It stayed on the shutting down screen for about an hour before the BSOD showed up. Immediately after the BSOD, powering on the computer would only result in a black screen so I took out my battery, held the power button for a minute, turned it back on (like this person said) and it worked fine again. Too scared to power off my laptop again though. D:

Also attached is the event viewer summary


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jan 2013   #4
Dsprague

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 enterprise 64 bit, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit ,Windows 8 64bit
 
 

If you are receiving BSODs pleas follow the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2013   #5
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mysherryamour View Post
It stayed on the shutting down screen for about an hour before the BSOD showed up. Immediately after the BSOD, powering on the computer would only result in a black screen so I took out my battery, held the power button for a minute, turned it back on (like this person said) and it worked fine again. Too scared to power off my laptop again though. D:

Also attached is the event viewer summary
Please expand the the Critical & Error events;

Name:  Event Viewer.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  59.5 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2013   #6
mysherryamour

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

There are more several errors that are not shown :P


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2013   #7
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mysherryamour View Post
There are more several errors that are not shown :P
An event 41 is used to report that something unexpected happened that prevented Windows from shutting down correctly. There may be insufficient information to explicitly define what happened. To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred. Do you know what the computer was doing just before the shut down?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2013   #8
mysherryamour

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Well I was attempting to install a game (Mass Effect 2 if it matters at all) and during the process my physical memory usage would suddenly spike from 40% to 97% or higher making it impossible to do anything. I had to restart my computer several times and attempt to install mass effect 2 and its dlc multiple times before it finally worked.

ALSO every time I attempted to restart the computer I would tell it to shut down then FORCE shut down and that's where it would hang at the shutting down screen until I held down the power button.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2013   #9
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mysherryamour View Post
Well I was attempting to install a game (Mass Effect 2 if it matters at all) and during the process my physical memory usage would suddenly spike from 40% to 97% or higher making it impossible to do anything. I had to restart my computer several times and attempt to install mass effect 2 and its dlc multiple times before it finally worked.

ALSO every time I attempted to restart the computer I would tell it to shut down then FORCE shut down and that's where it would hang at the shutting down screen until I held down the power button.
The information I provided is from Microsoft Support, visit the following link to read the article;

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

I hope you find a solution to the problem.

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows hangs on logging off/shutting down




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
system hangs after logging off and logging back!
hi! I logged off and logged back in.My system displays a black screen and doesn't log back in.It freezes and doesn't log back in. Help would be appreciated. mahesh
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 x64 hangs when shutting down
I've got problems with this system I'm building where it hangs (crashes?) on shutdown. System: Motherboard Commell (QM67) LV-67HTXD CPU Intel Core i7-2620M RAM 2x 4GB, DDR3, 1333MHz, Kingston PSU MiniBox M2-ATX-HV 1. The problem only appears in Windows...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 hangs on 'shutting down' screen
Hello, I've got new pc with Windows 7 Home Premium x64. It sometimes hangs on shutdown screen. And then I hold power button (I don't have reset button on my new case) and see BSOD. :( I have no idea what's wrong.
BSOD Help and Support
Windows Hangs on Welcome Screen After Logging int
Hi, My windows 7 hangs up after logging in. In safe mode with networking, it is running perfectly. I have had this problem intermittantly, and the last times I got a message that my video driver as stopped working and is recovering. My computer would work fine for about a month or so and then it...
BSOD Help and Support
Logging Off/Shutting Down Forever...
Keep trying to turn my laptop off and it keeps saying either 'Logging Off' or 'Shutting Down' forever until i manually turn off my laptop by using the power button. Anyone know why this is happening???????
General Discussion
Windows 7 - Hangs on shutting down & other issues.
I don't know what's going on but one once in a while, when I shut down my laptop ( Windows 7) it hangs which forces me to hold the power button to shut it down. Also, I just viewed my event viewer panel and I see that there are 585 issues, most are WARNINGs. I need urgent help!
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App