Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows wont shut down !

11 Feb 2013   #1

Windows 7 home premium 64-bits
 
 
Windows wont shut down !

I get some different messages when i try to shut down Windows. Sometimes i get a message that a program is running, and sometimes it just says "shutting down". I waited up to 2 hours but nothing happends. I have of course tried Ctrl-alt-delete, and the task manager, but all the proceses running seems like legitimate windows processes.
Also Java has trouble installing, i cant check my harddisk for errors, I cant defrag, disk cleanup doesnt work, and some programs wont uninstall, even i safe mode. I have also tried system recovery, but even from safe mode it wont work.
It also doesnt list recovery points from further back than January.
I have installed 2 Malvare/virus removal programs, Avast and Malwarebytes, but they dont find anything wrong.
I have tried to deactivate Windows security essenstials, and also the Firewall in case they where making trouble. I have also set the Windows update to manual. Nothing works.
I have tried Windows support, they werent up and running today ! I just got an error message.
So what can i do ? Windows 7 came preinstalled on the computer so i dont have any boot CD/DVD.
Can anyone help ?

Regards

Jon Pettersen

EDIT: Tried "FIX it" also, but didnt work.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Feb 2013   #2
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Open task manager and look at the processes, click on "show processes from all users".

You may have an update that's trying to install and possibly (hidden) malware would be stopping it from happening.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2013   #3
Microsoft MVP

 

The problem is likely the inferior Factory Preinstalled Windows 7 with all of the bloatware and duplicate utiltiies which have better versions built into Windows 7. These throttle Windows 7 from its native performance.

That's why most tech enthusiasts will not run such an install but instead Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. Everything is provided in the blue link tutorial.

At the minimum I'd Clean Up Factory Bloatware.

If this doesn't resolve performance problems, work through these Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Feb 2013   #4

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonpettersen View Post
I get some different messages when i try to shut down Windows. Sometimes i get a message that a program is running, and sometimes it just says "shutting down". I waited up to 2 hours but nothing happends. I have of course tried Ctrl-alt-delete, and the task manager, but all the proceses running seems like legitimate windows processes.
Also Java has trouble installing, i cant check my harddisk for errors, I cant defrag, disk cleanup doesnt work, and some programs wont uninstall, even i safe mode. I have also tried system recovery, but even from safe mode it wont work.
It also doesnt list recovery points from further back than January.
I have installed 2 Malvare/virus removal programs, Avast and Malwarebytes, but they dont find anything wrong.
I have tried to deactivate Windows security essenstials, and also the Firewall in case they where making trouble. I have also set the Windows update to manual. Nothing works.
I have tried Windows support, they werent up and running today ! I just got an error message.
So what can i do ? Windows 7 came preinstalled on the computer so i dont have any boot CD/DVD.
Can anyone help ?

Regards

Jon Pettersen

EDIT: Tried "FIX it" also, but didnt work.
You have two anti-virus tools installed at the same time?

Go with gregrocker's suggestion and do a clean install. The tutorial includes a way to download the Windows 7 installation DVD that you will need.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2013   #5

Windows 7 home premium 64-bits
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Open task manager and look at the processes, click on "show processes from all users".

You may have an update that's trying to install and possibly (hidden) malware would be stopping it from happening.
Thank you for your answer. i was thinking the same way but all the processes seems like legitimate windows processes. Unless its a malvare that hides as a windows process.
Then i dont know what to do.

Regards
Jon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2013   #6

Windows 7 home premium 64-bits
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
The problem is likely the inferior Factory Preinstalled Windows 7 with all of the bloatware and duplicate utiltiies which have better versions built into Windows 7. These throttle Windows 7 from its native performance.

That's why most tech enthusiasts will not run such an install but instead Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. Everything is provided in the blue link tutorial.

At the minimum I'd Clean Up Factory Bloatware.

If this doesn't resolve performance problems, work through these Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7.
Thank you. i think i will go trough the Clean Up Factory Bloatware first. If that doesnt work, i think i will go to the shops and buy a copy of Windows 7 or 8, so i actually have a boot disk, that microsoft have made, instead of my own. It seemed like a lot of things could go wrong in thr process for an amateur like me.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Regards

Jon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2013   #7

Windows 7 home premium 64-bits
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonpettersen View Post
I get some different messages when i try to shut down Windows. Sometimes i get a message that a program is running, and sometimes it just says "shutting down". I waited up to 2 hours but nothing happends. I have of course tried Ctrl-alt-delete, and the task manager, but all the proceses running seems like legitimate windows processes.
Also Java has trouble installing, i cant check my harddisk for errors, I cant defrag, disk cleanup doesnt work, and some programs wont uninstall, even i safe mode. I have also tried system recovery, but even from safe mode it wont work.
It also doesnt list recovery points from further back than January.
I have installed 2 Malvare/virus removal programs, Avast and Malwarebytes, but they dont find anything wrong.
I have tried to deactivate Windows security essenstials, and also the Firewall in case they where making trouble. I have also set the Windows update to manual. Nothing works.
I have tried Windows support, they werent up and running today ! I just got an error message.
So what can i do ? Windows 7 came preinstalled on the computer so i dont have any boot CD/DVD.
Can anyone help ?

Regards

Jon Pettersen

EDIT: Tried "FIX it" also, but didnt work.
You have two anti-virus tools installed at the same time?

Go with gregrocker's suggestion and do a clean install. The tutorial includes a way to download the Windows 7 installation DVD that you will need.
Yes, i installed one, ran a manual scan of the whole system, then installed the other one and ran that.
I know having two antiviruses running and the same time, might cause problems but it seems they dont do in this case. Note: I installed them AFTER my windows started to malfunction.

See my answer above to Gregrockers about a clean install.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Regards

Jon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2013   #8
Microsoft MVP

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonpettersen View Post

Thank you. i think i will go trough the Clean Up Factory Bloatware first. If that doesnt work, i think i will go to the shops and buy a copy of Windows 7 or 8, so i actually have a boot disk, that microsoft have made, instead of my own. It seemed like a lot of things could go wrong in thr process for an amateur like me.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Regards

Jon
Jon, it's absolutely not necessary to buy a new copy of Windows 7 when you own a license that came with the PC to reinstall as often as you want and in whatever way you want for the life of the machine. Buying a new copy to install on the same machine would be throwing away the money.

It's quite easy to download and burn a Windows 7 DVD or write it to bootable flash stick then reinstall. So nothing would be made easier by buying a new Windows 7 copy, just more expensive.

Follow the steps in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. We are here to help you so ask all the questions you need.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2013   #9

Windows 7 home premium 64-bits
 
 
Hm

Thank you for your help so far.
Ok, here is what i did.
I got bored fiddling with my computer, so i tried setting the computer back to factory settings.
I did not, work, as i half expected, the computer said (computer says no) it could not run Windows on this computer. It also said it would restart and complete installation. Then it restartet, and the same happend over and over again.
So, i got bored with that and drove to work, downloaded the ISO file, and made a bootable USB-Stick.
I then installed windows 7 home premium on my computer, on a differnt partision. I really dont know witch partision, because a got a list of 5 to choose from, and just picked one (where it was free space)
As i started the new windows it asked for my product key, i gave it, but i got the message it was invalid.
Started windows anyway.
I now have to windows operating systems on my computer, one that isnt working, and one that is, but as i understand will stop working in 30 days, unless i come up with right product key.
I am sure i have the right product key, because it is written on a sticker on my computer, and that is bought new in the store. I have also checked it many times, to be sure i havent misread it.

So i have a couple of questions for you:

1. How do i delete the operating system on my computer that doesnt work ?
2. Why doesnt the product key work ? I read something in the windows disclaimer that you were not allowed to have to copies of the same system on different partisions, could that be why its not working?
3. When i tried to contact microsft support, it said on the website that you have write your prouct ID, which is found on the computer, in windows. So my question is this ? Do you really have give your product ID to come in touch with them ? If your computer has crashed, you wont, as i understand it, be able to find it ?

Kind regards

Jon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2013   #10
Microsoft MVP

 

Please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Management drive map and listings:

1. Type Disk Management in Start Search box.
2. Open Disk Mgmt. window and maximize it.
3. Type Snipping Tool in Start Search box.
4. Open Snipping Tool, choose Rectangular Snip, click New, draw a box around full drive map and all listings.
5, Save Snip, attach using paper clip in Reply Box.

Tell us what is on each partition.

It's not good Disk mgmt to let fate decide where you install and what's on your HD. You should grab ahold of this, explore in Windows 7 the contents of each partition shown in Disk mgmt. With our help you can decide which partitions to keep, rearranging them so that Windows 7 is ideally at the left side of the HD where it is read faster. You should also decide if you want your data kept on the C partition, or a separate data partition linked to Windows 7 to keep the Windows 7 backup image smaller. Ask all the questions you need to help decide.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows wont shut down !




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows wont shut down !
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Suddenly extremely slow, wont shut down Performance & Maintenance
Solved wont shut down General Discussion
Solved Windows 7 wont shut down General Discussion
Computer wont shut down! General Discussion
PC wont boot after being shut off BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 wont shut down says its updating Windows Updates & Activation
Wont shut down BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33