Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Programs won't open anymore, Tried many suggestions.


14 Feb 2013   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Programs won't open anymore, Tried many suggestions.

Hello,

About 4 days ago my computer started acting up, I'd say right after installing a chipset driver but I'm not exactly sure if that's the problem. I also uninstalled Privatize VPN (I know, why did i install it in the first place ) right before the problems started occurring.

Here's the situation:

When i start windows everything runs fine, about 2 minutes in after opening a program it will freeze. I try to run another program from the desktop, the desktop freezes. I try to run my task manager from my taskbar, it tries to open then just doesn't. I try ctrl + alt + del and i get a "can't display security and logon settings" error (I'm not sure if its exactly worded like that, but pretty much i can't CTRLALTDEL). I try to restart the computer and it takes very long, actually it doesn't restart at all. It tries to and the screen will go to sleep after a while. Also the programs that i try to open from the desktop will eventually reply with a "did not respond in a timely fashion" error.

Here's all the solutions I've tried:

I've tried clean boot, it made it lag a little bit less but no help.
I tried resetting my BIOS settings.
I've ran multiple anti virus, and have removed a few viruses. (AVG, Spybot, Malwarebytes)
Of course, not running them all a the same time.
I've turned off my antiviruses as well to see if it lags less.
I've recently just tried a system restore point and none of them are working. I'm getting a
"An unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0x8000ffff)

I'm considering reinstalling OS however I'm worried about these files i have on my computer
I edit videos for clients and i have the RAW video files on my desktop. I can back them up in Safe Mode, but I'd like to keep that a last minute resort. (also i already have a windows.old file from my previous OS install, i was wondering if i did another if I'd have a second windows.old that would hold those files on my desktop)

Whoever read this long rant, thank you and any help/advice will be great!
Thank you guys,

Chris


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Feb 2013   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

You say you removed "several" Virus's? Have you tried a sfc/scannow to find/repair any damaged system files? Have you considered a repair install?

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Repair Install

Also , have you tried any of the automated fixes from MS?

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2013   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by indianacarnie View Post
You say you removed "several" Virus's? Have you tried a sfc/scannow to find/repair any damaged system files? Have you considered a repair install?

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Repair Install
I'll try this now, thank you!

EDIT: should i do this in safe mode? (SFC scannow)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Feb 2013   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Where are my manners this morning? Welcome to the forums! Let us know if this helps resolve the problem. If not we can go from there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2013   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Raiedon View Post
Hello,

About 4 days ago my computer started acting up, I'd say right after installing a chipset driver but I'm not exactly sure if that's the problem. I also uninstalled Privatize VPN (I know, why did i install it in the first place ) right before the problems started occurring.

Here's the situation:

When i start windows everything runs fine, about 2 minutes in after opening a program it will freeze. I try to run another program from the desktop, the desktop freezes. I try to run my task manager from my taskbar, it tries to open then just doesn't. I try ctrl + alt + del and i get a "can't display security and logon settings" error (I'm not sure if its exactly worded like that, but pretty much i can't CTRLALTDEL). I try to restart the computer and it takes very long, actually it doesn't restart at all. It tries to and the screen will go to sleep after a while. Also the programs that i try to open from the desktop will eventually reply with a "did not respond in a timely fashion" error.

Here's all the solutions I've tried:

I've tried clean boot, it made it lag a little bit less but no help.
I tried resetting my BIOS settings.
I've ran multiple anti virus, and have removed a few viruses. (AVG, Spybot, Malwarebytes)
Of course, not running them all a the same time.
I've turned off my antiviruses as well to see if it lags less.
I've recently just tried a system restore point and none of them are working. I'm getting a
"An unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0x8000ffff)

I'm considering reinstalling OS however I'm worried about these files i have on my computer
I edit videos for clients and i have the RAW video files on my desktop. I can back them up in Safe Mode, but I'd like to keep that a last minute resort. (also i already have a windows.old file from my previous OS install, i was wondering if i did another if I'd have a second windows.old that would hold those files on my desktop)

Whoever read this long rant, thank you and any help/advice will be great!
Thank you guys,

Chris
Try "system restore" when booted in Windows 7 recovery environment!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2013   #6
Microsoft MVP

 

Why would anyone have Spybot installed ten years after it bloated up and went buggy? It may be causing your problems. Use SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloads for on-demand spyscanning, turned off at Startup.

Work through these other Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2013   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Very good point about Spybot. Meant to mention it myself, but trying to cook breakfast and be "here" at the same time. Guess my multi-tasking needs some improvement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2013   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by indianacarnie View Post
Where are my manners this morning? Welcome to the forums! Let us know if this helps resolve the problem. If not we can go from there.
Alright here's an update:

-I booted up Windows Normally and it actually did restore to a point because Privitize VPN
is still installed, however im still getting the lag/unresponsiveness.

-The sfc scannow couldnt find any problems. I tried 3 times just in case.

-I also tried a Windows Repair but by the time the CD boots up and the Setup is starting it freezes up..

Let me know if i can do anything else, im pretty close to just reinstalling the OS. (Will my old files on my desktop be saved?)


Chris.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2013   #9
Microsoft MVP

 

If the problem is happening even when booting a disk then it's likely not the OS unless it is skipping the disk and trying to boot the HD.

Test the hardware first and then work through the others steps from Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2013   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If the problem is happening even when booting a disk then it's likely not the OS unless it is skipping the disk and trying to boot the HD.

Test the hardware first and then work through the others steps from Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start
No i booted up into Windows, not booting the CD after BIOS.

Should i try a System Repair without actually booting up the OS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Programs won't open anymore, Tried many suggestions.




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33