Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: cannot save my (putty-) registry entries


01 Mar 2013   #1

Windows 7
 
 
cannot save my (putty-) registry entries

I would like to transfer my putty settings to a new host. Since putty stores all settings in the registry, I thought I could dump the relevant entries in a file and load it back to the registry on a new host.

I tried this command:

reg save HKCU\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY e:\port\ssh\putty_reg.hiv

But I get the error message:

ERROR: A required privilege is not held by the client.

What am I doing wrong?

(NOTE: I crossposted this question today at: http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/thread...-entry.148220/)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Mar 2013   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

If Putty works normally and can read and write its configurations, check that you have permissions to save a file to the folder you intend, so it can create the .reg file there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2013   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rovf View Post
I would like to transfer my putty settings to a new host. Since putty stores all settings in the registry, I thought I could dump the relevant entries in a file and load it back to the registry on a new host.

I tried this command:

reg save HKCU\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY e:\port\ssh\putty_reg.hiv

But I get the error message:

ERROR: A required privilege is not held by the client.

What am I doing wrong?
I don't use PuTTY, but maybe the following link will provide some help;

How To: Transfer your PuTTY settings between computers

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Mar 2013   #4

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
If Putty works normally and can read and write its configurations, check that you have permissions to save a file to the folder you intend, so it can create the .reg file there.
Unfortunately, Putty (by design) can NOT write its configuration (to a file). The reg command I mentioned in my posting, is a tool which comes with Windows, not with Putty.

And, of course, I do have write permissions for the folder I'm going to write to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2013   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
I don't use PuTTY, but maybe the following link will provide some help;

How To: Transfer your PuTTY settings between computers

HTH
I know this page, and basically this *is* what I'm doing (only that I use the command line interface to the registry editor, not the GUI, because I want to make it scriptable). But this doesn't help, if the reg file can't be created....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 cannot save my (putty-) registry entries




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: cannot save my (putty-) registry entries
Thread Forum
Dead registry entries Performance & Maintenance
Fix 2 Incorrect x86 Registry Entries in x64 Windows 7 SP1 Windows Updates & Activation
Cannot delete registry entries General Discussion
Solved Registry Entries General Discussion
Need help identifying certain registry entries Performance & Maintenance
AERO Registry Entries Customization
Mysterious registry entries Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33