Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How can I find folders missing from a library

18 Mar 2013   #1
Melita

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
How can I find folders missing from a library

I created a new library and included four folders in it. The library is there but all the folders have gone missing. I looked in every folder in all other libraries and searched with Windows Explorer using the folder names but to no avail. How else can I try to find these folders?

Thank you,


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Mar 2013   #2
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Melita,

Are the folders still included in the library?

Library - Include a Folder

Are the folders still at their original locations as well?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #3
Melita

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Hello Shawn,

Nice to hear from you.

No, the library is empty. Folders and files all gone.

Regards
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Mar 2013   #4
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

It's nice to hear from you as well.

Are the folders still in their original locations other than the library? For example, "C:\Users\(user-name)\My Music".

If so, then you should be able to just include the folders to the library again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #5
Melita

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

No, they are missing from the original location as well. Is there anything more that I can do?

Regards,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2013   #6
Melita

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Is there a way to change folders and files behavior in Windows 7

I always had trouble with the libraries, folders and files in windows 7, which I never had with Windows XP. Is there some way I can change their behavior in Windows 7, at least approximately to how it was in XP?

Thank you,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2013   #7
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Melita,

See if using OPTION TWO to restore any missing user folders may help.
User Folders - Restore Default Location
XP doesn't have libraries. Libraries are different than folders. A library is a collection of included folders from other locations that are also accessible in this one library location.

All included folders in a library share the same folder view, while an actual folder (not in a library) will have it's own folder view.

Could you be more specific on how you want the library behavior to be? Possibly some screenshots.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2013   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

You can try to recover the folders from a restore point. Like this: ShadowExplorer - Recover Lost Files and Folders
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2013   #9
Melita

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Melita,

See if using OPTION TWO to restore any missing user folders may help.
User Folders - Restore Default Location
XP doesn't have libraries. Libraries are different than folders. A library is a collection of included folders from other locations that are also accessible in this one library location.

All included folders in a library share the same folder view, while an actual folder (not in a library) will have it's own folder view.

Could you be more specific on how you want the library behavior to be? Possibly some screenshots.
1. Mainly it is the saved files and/or folders appearing in other locations in addition to the library that I saved them in. For example, When I download and save a progrmme or file etc. from the internet to a particular library using 'save as' function, it also appears either in 'my documents or in the folder identified by my user name. Can this be changed so that the contents are found in only in the location that I save them in?

2. Can I do something to be able to freely move and arrange files and folders within the same location, The way it was possible to do in XP. Not being handicapped by the limited 'arrange' options of Window 7.

3. Could you also explain your statement "All included folders in a library share the same folder view, while an actual folder (not in a library) will have it's own folder view". I don't quite understand it.

Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2013   #10
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Answers inline.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Melita View Post
1. Mainly it is the saved files and/or folders appearing in other locations in addition to the library that I saved them in. For example, When I download and save a progrmme or file etc. from the internet to a particular library using 'save as' function, it also appears either in 'my documents or in the folder identified by my user name. Can this be changed so that the contents are found in only in the location that I save them in?
A library is just a collection of included folders (like shortcuts). When you save something into a library, you will be able to view it in the library, and in the actual folder you included.

You are able to change what included folder you want items to be saved to by default though.

Library - Set Save Folder
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Melita View Post
2. Can I do something to be able to freely move and arrange files and folders within the same location, The way it was possible to do in XP. Not being handicapped by the limited 'arrange' options of Window 7.
You can do arrange items in folders in any order and position you like in Windows 7 if you disabled auto arrange using the tutorial below, but you will not be able to do so in a library.

Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable

In a library, you are still only able to sort by, group by, or arrange by how you like instead, but all included folders share the same view in the library.

File and Folder Arrangement - Group by - Sort by - Arrange by
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Melita View Post
3. Could you also explain your statement "All included folders in a library share the same folder view, while an actual folder (not in a library) will have it's own folder view". I don't quite understand it.
For example:

Your "Music" library has the "C:\Users\Public\Public Music" and "C:\Users\(user-name)\My Music" folders included in it by default.

You can view the contents of these folders in either all in one place in the Music library, or separately in the "actual" folder locations of "C:\Users\Public\Public Music" and "C:\Users\(user-name)\My Music". "Actual" being where the folder is truly located.

"included folders" = when viewing the folders in the library

"actual folders" = when viewing the folders at their true location



My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How can I find folders missing from a library




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can't find gpedit library Windows 7 x64
Hello, I have Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. I'm Administrator. When I type 'gpedit.msc' in the Start menu system is said that this library is not found. I could not find manualy the library files in windows/system32 also. How can I fix this problems?
General Discussion
WMC empty library folders.
Hi, first post here. Likely to offend some technical wizards with my newbish efforts at describing technical things, but here goes. I have a relatively new Dell Inspiron 660s. Few months old but have only just got around to setting up WMC on the machine, or trying to. I can navigate fine through...
Media Center
Managing folders in a Library
I am not able to find the process to delete a folder from my Documents library. The Help function says the following, but I can not find the 'library pane', Includes, nor Locations. When you no longer need to monitor a folder in a library, you can remove it. When you remove a folder from a...
General Discussion
Library Conundrum: 'Arrange By Folders' is Missing in Custom Library!
A year ago, I created a custom Library and have been using it successfully until the beginning of this week (11/7/2011). The library's folder location is similar to the following: C:\Users\USERNAME\FOLDERX Now, when I open the Library, it shows a listing of all of the files found within all...
General Discussion
Where to find good library replacement icons?
I've searched on Deviant Art and several other customisation sites but I can't seem to find any good looking replacement packs for the 4 libraries icons. This is about the best I've found but the guy has only finished 1 of the 4. Drawder's Gallery Doesn't have to be folder based of course....
Customization
Cannot paste to any library folders
I find this to be so lame! I don't exactly get why libraries are so useful, but for whatever reason, they appear to be what MS wants me to use when working with folders because it's a heckuva lot easier to navigate my library folders in the left-side Windows Explorer navigation pane than it is to...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App