Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Nothing will open (programs, files, etc..)

23 Mar 2013   #71
gregrocker

 

Go to the Dell Support Downloads website, input your Tag number from the bottom of laptop, download the Wireless driver and rightclick to Extract it to your backup so you have it handy to install if Win7 starts up without the wireless driver.

Another method: Driver Install - Device Manager

Once you install the driver, click the Connection icon in the bottom right system tray to connect to your network.

If during install it asks for your network information then it already has the wireless driver and will be ready to connect to your network when it starts up.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Mar 2013   #72
Stevethaboss

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Go to the Dell Support Downloads website, input your Tag number from the bottom of laptop, download the Wireless driver and rightclick to Extract it to your backup so you have it handy to install if Win7 starts up without the wireless driver.

Another method: Driver Install - Device Manager

Once you install the driver, click the Connection icon in the bottom right system tray to connect to your network.

If during install it asks for your network information then it already has the wireless driver and will be ready to connect to your network when it starts up.
I typed in my code but where is the wireless driver to download?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #73
gregrocker

 

Under Driver Downloads.

Do you know if you had 32- or 64-bit? What does the Dell Reinstallation DVD say? If you have more than 4gb RAM I would reinstall with 64 bit.

Then download the wireless driver which should be listed under wireless LAN.

If you want to give us your tag number we can help you more.

You can also run Dell Windows 7 PC Restore which will start up with the drivers already installed, only requiring running all of your Important and Optional Windows Updates to get everything current.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Mar 2013   #74
Stevethaboss

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Under Driver Downloads.

Do you know if you had 32- or 64-bit? What does the Dell Reinstallation DVD say? If you have more than 4gb RAM I would reinstall with 64 bit.

Then download the wireless driver which should be listed under wireless LAN.

If you want to give us your tag number we can help you more.

You can also run Dell Windows 7 PC Restore which will start up with the drivers already installed, only requiring running all of your Important and Optional Windows Updates to get everything current.
64-bit but like i still cant find the wireless driver.. ://
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #75
gregrocker

 

I asked you for the Tag # so we could look it up for you.

Last night I sat for four hours waiting for you to reply to my message offering to connect, back up your files for you and reintsall the OS. It would have been done by midnight last night. But you either didn't see the message, didn't have the courtesy to repsond, or can't keep up.

Now I'm off on a 50 mile bike ride and then gone tonight so you'll have to wait for someone else to help you, or finally figure it out since I always type out 2 or 3 different ways to get the same thing done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #76
Stevethaboss

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I asked you for the Tag # so we could look it up for you.

Last night I sat for four hours waiting for you to reply to my message offering to connect, back up your files for you and reintsall the OS. It would have been done by midnight last night. But you either didn't see the message, didn't have the courtesy to repsond, or can't keep up.

Now I'm off on a 50 mile bike ride and then gone tonight so you'll have to wait for someone else to help you, or finally figure it out since I always type out 2 or 3 different ways to get the same thing done.
Ohh gosh Im sorry I didnt realize. I was out most of the night last night. Anyway I rebooted everything is all fine now. I set up norton for free from Xfinity. Is there something that will make sure the files I am about to download are virus free each time?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #77
gregrocker

 

You ran Factory Recovery or Clean Reinstalled?

If not then I would run a full scan with your AV, Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware which digs into the registry to root out spyware lodged in the browser. Then run SFC /SCANNOW Command to check System Files for damage.

Your AV should scan the files being downlloaded, as well as your browser. If you download Torrents then rightclick their folder to scan with your AV and Malwarebytes. I would run regular Malwarebytes scans.

Norton can overwhelm Win7 so if you experience any performance problems I would uninstall it and use lightweight Microsoft Security Essentials.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #78
Stevethaboss

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You ran Factory Recovery or Clean Reinstalled?

If not then I would run a full scan with your AV, Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware which digs into the registry to root out spyware lodged in the browser. Then run SFC /SCANNOW Command to check System Files for damage.

Your AV should scan the files being downlloaded, as well as your browser. If you download Torrents then rightclick their folder to scan with your AV and Malwarebytes. I would run regular Malwarebytes scans.

Norton can overwhelm Win7 so if you experience any performance problems I would uninstall it and use lightweight Microsoft Security Essentials.
factory recovery, and okay I am about to do that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #79
gregrocker

 

About to do what?

Have you already done Factory Recovery, running it from its partition using the F8 key as you did to back up your files to DVD?

If so I would Clean Up Factory Bloatware which will improve performance.

It isn't necessary to do all of those scans on a new install, but I'd have your A/V always standing guard and updated, run regular Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware scans.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Nothing will open (programs, files, etc..)




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Batch Files not working when trying to open programs
I was trying to create a batch file to open up two programs which I mostly always start and use when I login and so I attempted to create the batch file following this: Launch Multiple Programs From A Single Shortcut Using A Batch File While I managed to do all the actual "coding" part of it ...
General Discussion
Free open software, that encrypts files using open pgp?
I am searching for recommanded free open source software, that handles open pgp encryption. I do not know what to call the software, so instead I will describe it. I am looking for software, that can make open pgp keys, import public keys, and encrypt and decrypt open pgp encrypted files. Not...
Software
.reg files open Notepad - do not change registry to read older files
Running Win7Pro 64-bit. Am unable to open older Office 97 files with Office2003 which is installed and running fine. I found a couple of files here and elsewhere with .reg extensions that were supposed to make the necessary registry changes. eg. "UnlockWord.reg" and a more elaborate-looking...
Microsoft Office
My Windows programs will not open images, I can open them with PSP
For a while my windows 7 64 bit would open my images in Documents. Now when I try they appear as a garbled strange format. If I go to PSP ProX2 they open fine. This is a problem for me since I often need to add images to document Newsletters I send out. :confused: Thanks, Char
Software
Unsure how to best describe issue... Open programs try to "re-open"
For instance, if playing solitaire, the icon for the open program down on the task bar will start "sliding in" over top of itself again, as if it is just being reopened. I am sorry I really don't know how else to explain it. But when it happens it goes very quick sometimes with rapid successions of...
General Discussion
Can not open programs/.exe files
I ran Avast to see if I had any problems with my computer (I hadn't checked in a while, wasn't exeriencing any problems though.) It said something about restarting/next startup after it had finished scanning and I clicked "chest"? (is that what it's called). I turned off my laptop and went to...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App