Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do I know if my computer turned itself on or if a person did?

25 Mar 2013   #1
RvB Vakama

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit
 
 
How do I know if my computer turned itself on or if a person did?

Hello everyone, I have a desktop PC and running Win 7, I recently noticed that there is no hibernate button, where it should be, I realized that desktop PC's are not laptops and that I had to make a shortcut with the code " C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll, SetSuspendState 0,1,0 " to be able to hibernate my desktop PC.

After I had made the shortcut, I tested it. The shortcut worked and my computer hibernated. I was happy that it worked, but a new problem arised. The problem was that my computer could in a way "turn its self on". I googled around and found out to to prevent it from happening, I applied my new knowledge to the PC and it seemed to be working great now... or so I thought.

The computer also didn't require a password on start up, after hibernation. (I thought this was weird, but I didn't worry about it too much..... I should have worried)

Anyway now that you know what page i'm at, this is my problem: When I left yesterday for a friends house, I hibernated my PC and took my internet cable with me (my PC had no internet connection), but when I arrived home it was on, I instantly thought that my brother turned on my PC. I was angry at him, I went online and googled "How to know if someone has been on your computer", I found an article scrolled down a bit and found a program (Inbuilt with windows) called "event viewer".

I then opened "event viewer" I went to, Windows logs then application. I found some dates and times, I found when I left home at '1:10 PM' the logs stopped here (this is when my computer was hibernated).
I then found when the logs started again, It said '8:10 PM', I got home at '9:00 PM', I thought that my brother either turned on my PC and was snooping around for an hour, or that my PC turned its self on.

So here are my questions:

1: Can I check if my computer turned its self on, or if my brother did it.

And

2: Can I check if my brother was reading any of my Skype conversions, and if he was snooping around.

Thanks you everyone for reading my post/thread, And if you have any solutions to my problem, THAT WOULD BE GREAT !

PS. I have fixed my problem with the password not being required on boot.

PPS. I have a second windows 7 installed on a dual boot

PSS. If you are unsure about anything that I have said, Please reply asking about anything. I would really like to get some decent help with my problem


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Mar 2013   #2
Magissia

7x64 ultimate / 7x64 pro / Some linux x64 distro
 
 

You can check if the computer was turned on by looking at Windows's logs if i'm right.
If logs says it was turned on, then someone did turn it on.
Things can take the computer out of sleep, but i don't think it can take the computer out of hibernation <-- (To be verified, unsure about this part)

if you're afraid someone will touch your computer, you can crypt the whole system drive, and it will fix the problem, your brother will have to re install windows to use the computer if you don't turn it on for him.
It will also fix anything that could be used to remove the user's password and acces the computer.

You can log off Skype when you quit, if you're concerned about security, don't use auto login (will also fix one of your problems).

Regards
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #3
nilank

 

This suddenly struck my mind after reading this all: Once I had set an option called something like ''Auto power on, on AC supply'' in the BIOS to Enabled. This option powers on the system automatically when AC power is supplied, no need to press the power button.

Then I disabled it later, but the system still continued to automatically power on whenever AC was supplied. I had to re enable that option and then disable it again in order to make it work.

I know this is pretty much unrelated to your problem, but can your problem be somehow related to something similar? Check your BIOS to find anything similar if it's there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Mar 2013   #4
RvB Vakama

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit
 
 
Thanks for your help, but sorry It really didn't help me much :(

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Magissia View Post
You can check if the computer was turned on by looking at Windows's logs if i'm right.
If logs says it was turned on, then someone did turn it on.
Things can take the computer out of sleep, but i don't think it can take the computer out of hibernation <-- (To be verified, unsure about this part)

if you're afraid someone will touch your computer, you can crypt the whole system drive, and it will fix the problem, your brother will have to re install windows to use the computer if you don't turn it on for him.
It will also fix anything that could be used to remove the user's password and acces the computer.

You can log off Skype when you quit, if you're concerned about security, don't use auto login (will also fix one of your problems).

Regards
Hello Magissia, thank you for replying to my post, but unfortunately you really didn't help me much. I already know everything that you said, I knew about the skype auto login, and encryption. I know where to find in the windows logs in "event viewer"the time that my PC shut down and started up, but what I do not know is how to tell if someone turned on my PC or if the PC turned its self on. (I wonder if "event viewer" even records if the PC turned it self on or if the button on my tower was pressed to turn it on)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #5
RvB Vakama

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nilank View Post
This suddenly struck my mind after reading this all: Once I had set an option called something like ''Auto power on, on AC supply'' in the BIOS to Enabled. This option powers on the system automatically when AC power is supplied, no need to press the power button.

Then I disabled it later, but the system still continued to automatically power on whenever AC was supplied. I had to re enable that option and then disable it again in order to make it work.

I know this is pretty much unrelated to your problem, but can your problem be somehow related to something similar? Check your BIOS to find anything similar if it's there.
Thanks for your help nilank, but you said it yourself "I know this is pretty much unrelated to your problem". And your right, it didn't help at all, sorry to say. Thanks for taking an interest in my question.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #6
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

This might sound too obvious but why not ask you brother if he touched your PC? Also when you go out shut down your PC!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #7
RvB Vakama

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit
 
 
I knew some one was goin to ask this -_-

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
This might sound too obvious but why not ask you brother if he touched your PC? Also when you go out shut down your PC!
I knew someone was going to ask this -_-, YOU DON'T KNOW MY BRO, He was put on this earth to mess with people. And I try to ask him seriously but he responds in a way that I can't make sense out of.

Thanks for reading my post tho
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #8
Barman58

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 x3 + Windows 10 Preview, Ubuntu
 
 

To check the cause of the last system wake from Sleep / Hibernation simply enter "powercfg -lastwake" into an Admin Command Prompt.
you could also add a batch file containing "powercfg -lastwake >> C:\Wakeup.Log", which would create a file on the root of the C: drive with the details in each instance, to your start up folder.

As for preventing access - Windows has security for a reason, give your brother his own ID on the system and use password login. If you create his user as a standard user he will not be able to access anything vital on your system without your password, and you could also use the built in Parental Controls to monitor and limit program access
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #9
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RvB Vakama View Post
Hello everyone, I have a desktop PC and running Win 7, I recently noticed that there is no hibernate button, where it should be, I realized that desktop PC's are not laptops and that I had to make a shortcut with the code " C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll, SetSuspendState 0,1,0 " to be able to hibernate my desktop PC.

After I had made the shortcut, I tested it. The shortcut worked and my computer hibernated. I was happy that it worked, but a new problem arised. The problem was that my computer could in a way "turn its self on". I googled around and found out to to prevent it from happening, I applied my new knowledge to the PC and it seemed to be working great now... or so I thought.

The computer also didn't require a password on start up, after hibernation. (I thought this was weird, but I didn't worry about it too much..... I should have worried)

Anyway now that you know what page i'm at, this is my problem: When I left yesterday for a friends house, I hibernated my PC and took my internet cable with me (my PC had no internet connection), but when I arrived home it was on, I instantly thought that my brother turned on my PC. I was angry at him, I went online and googled "How to know if someone has been on your computer", I found an article scrolled down a bit and found a program (Inbuilt with windows) called "event viewer".

I then opened "event viewer" I went to, Windows logs then application. I found some dates and times, I found when I left home at '1:10 PM' the logs stopped here (this is when my computer was hibernated).
I then found when the logs started again, It said '8:10 PM', I got home at '9:00 PM', I thought that my brother either turned on my PC and was snooping around for an hour, or that my PC turned its self on.

So here are my questions:

1: Can I check if my computer turned its self on, or if my brother did it.

And

2: Can I check if my brother was reading any of my Skype conversions, and if he was snooping around.

Thanks you everyone for reading my post/thread, And if you have any solutions to my problem, THAT WOULD BE GREAT !

PS. I have fixed my problem with the password not being required on boot.

PPS. I have a second windows 7 installed on a dual boot

PSS. If you are unsure about anything that I have said, Please reply asking about anything. I would really like to get some decent help with my problem
In the situation you describe, I don't know if there is a way to check whether or not your computer was activated by a person or program, but for any future reference you could use a keylogger.

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #10
RvB Vakama

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RvB Vakama View Post
Hello everyone, I have a desktop PC and running Win 7, I recently noticed that there is no hibernate button, where it should be, I realized that desktop PC's are not laptops and that I had to make a shortcut with the code " C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll, SetSuspendState 0,1,0 " to be able to hibernate my desktop PC.

After I had made the shortcut, I tested it. The shortcut worked and my computer hibernated. I was happy that it worked, but a new problem arised. The problem was that my computer could in a way "turn its self on". I googled around and found out to to prevent it from happening, I applied my new knowledge to the PC and it seemed to be working great now... or so I thought.

The computer also didn't require a password on start up, after hibernation. (I thought this was weird, but I didn't worry about it too much..... I should have worried)

Anyway now that you know what page i'm at, this is my problem: When I left yesterday for a friends house, I hibernated my PC and took my internet cable with me (my PC had no internet connection), but when I arrived home it was on, I instantly thought that my brother turned on my PC. I was angry at him, I went online and googled "How to know if someone has been on your computer", I found an article scrolled down a bit and found a program (Inbuilt with windows) called "event viewer".

I then opened "event viewer" I went to, Windows logs then application. I found some dates and times, I found when I left home at '1:10 PM' the logs stopped here (this is when my computer was hibernated).
I then found when the logs started again, It said '8:10 PM', I got home at '9:00 PM', I thought that my brother either turned on my PC and was snooping around for an hour, or that my PC turned its self on.

So here are my questions:

1: Can I check if my computer turned its self on, or if my brother did it.

And

2: Can I check if my brother was reading any of my Skype conversions, and if he was snooping around.

Thanks you everyone for reading my post/thread, And if you have any solutions to my problem, THAT WOULD BE GREAT !

PS. I have fixed my problem with the password not being required on boot.

PPS. I have a second windows 7 installed on a dual boot

PSS. If you are unsure about anything that I have said, Please reply asking about anything. I would really like to get some decent help with my problem
In the situation you describe, I don't know if there is a way to check whether or not your computer was activated by a person or program, but for any future reference you could use a keylogger.

HTH
Thank you Sir George, Yes I will prob set up a key logger program, Could you link me one?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do I know if my computer turned itself on or if a person did?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Computer getting automatically turned off
Hello, My computer is getting turned off automatically after sometime of use mainly when I am not using it, but sometimes while I am using it. I don't know why it is happening even I am not getting any other problems. Just it is like, I left my computer at no use for at least 10 minutes or more...
General Discussion
Problems/questions about RDP - and I am not a computer person.
Hi, I have an RDP issue. Back story: I never liked computers, and I don't know anything about computers or networking. I decided to buy a Lenovo Thinkpad Android Honeycomb 3.1 tablet for grad school. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit at home. I figured it would be nice to access my stuff...
Network & Sharing
Turned off computer during SP1 update..
It was in the starting windows page and it said 60,000 files of 350,000 or something like that.. then after a while the monitor didn't show anything and moving my mouse/pressing keyboard did nothing so I simply turned off the computer guessing it was finished. Now it hangs on the Starting Windows...
Windows Updates & Activation
Computer can't turned off
Hi, I can't turned off my computer. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Can someone help me?
General Discussion
I am the only person on my computer and I am the administrator but
I am the only person on my computer and I am the administrator but whenever I try to delete a folder or do anything in Windows Explorer I get a dialog message telling me I need admin permissions to do what I was trying to do, I click "continue" and whatever I wanted to do is done. Since I am...
General Discussion
computer literate person watching a newbie at work on the computer
Hope you all like this made me laugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roflmao: <object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fa9DLxDtPtc&rel=0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param...
Chillout Room

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App