Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop loops at startup, please help.


29 Mar 2013   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 
Laptop loops at startup, please help.

Recently, 2 days ago actually, I did a clean Windows 7 install and everything was fine for at least a day...then I kept getting spammed with something called Delta search or something pretty sure it was a virus, because since it appeared my laptop slowed down so much...after that I decided to restart it and go into safe mode to see if I could get rid of it. It didn't work.. as soon as I did that the computer started looping(it basically gets to the windows is loading screen and then it restarts, then again it gets to that screen and restart). So, I decided to do a clean install again, so everything loads up correctly (from a disc) and as soon as I press Install it gets stuck there in "set up is loading".

How can I fix this?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Mar 2013   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 enterprise 64 bit, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit ,Windows 8 64bit
 
 

Sounds like you have a very nasty little virus there, so first things first we should probably take care of that. So to do this since you can not boot into your windows install you will need to run Windows defender offline which is a bootable Ant-virus program:

Windows Defender Offline

run through the tutorial and use it to scan your system and see if this helps the situation at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dsprague View Post
Sounds like you have a very nasty little virus there, so first things first we should probably take care of that. So to do this since you can not boot into your windows install you will need to run Windows defender offline which is a bootable Ant-virus program:

Windows Defender Offline

run through the tutorial and use it to scan your system and see if this helps the situation at all.
Just made the dvd, about to try it.

Edit:So everything went well up to the boot from disc part( I changed the bios settings) and it somehow skipped over it even though I put it as first, it kept going to the screen that gave me a choice for Safe Mode or to start windows normally, it didn't do this before when I actually managed to get into the Windows 7 startup menu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Mar 2013   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 enterprise 64 bit, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit ,Windows 8 64bit
 
 

try instead of changing the boot order in bios tapping the F12 key at boot up and selecting the boot device from that menu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dsprague View Post
try instead of changing the boot order in bios tapping the F12 key at boot up and selecting the boot device from that menu.
I tried, it still skipped it. Is there anything else I can do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #6
Microsoft MVP

 

Back up your files, unplug all other HD's and peripherals,

Boot into BIOS setup, reset to defaults, save changes. If an EFI BIOS, enable Legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module, set DVD drive first to boot, HD second. Then set SATA controller to AHCI. Save changes and Exit.

Then boot into installer DVD or flash stick burned or written using tool and latest ISO for your licensed OS version here.

At first installer screen Press Shift + F10 to open a Command Box, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=102400 (for 100gb partition, adjust as desired)
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT

Next click Install Now, then Custom install to Clean Install Windows 7 to the partition you created. If it fails then report back at which step and the verbatim error message.

In addition read over these steps to understand the tools and methods which work best to get and maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. The steps are the same for retail.

After install you can adjust partition size or Create new partitions for data, etc. in Disk Mgmt.You are creating the partition here for the purpose of marking it Active which overcomes certain install failures.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2013   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Back up your files, unplug all other HD's and peripherals,

Boot into BIOS setup, reset to defaults, save changes. If an EFI BIOS, enable Legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module, set DVD drive first to boot, HD second. Then set SATA controller to AHCI. Save changes and Exit.

Then boot into installer DVD or flash stick burned or written using tool and latest ISO for your licensed OS version here.

At first installer screen Press Shift + F10 to open a Command Box, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=102400 (for 100gb partition, adjust as desired)
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT

Next click Install Now, then Custom install to Clean Install Windows 7 to the partition you created. If it fails then report back at which step and the verbatim error message.

In addition read over these steps to understand the tools and methods which work best to get and maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. The steps are the same for retail.

After install you can adjust partition size or Create new partitions for data, etc. in Disk Mgmt.You are creating the partition here for the purpose of marking it Active which overcomes certain install failures.
It seems to fail right after that command, it doesn't let me type anything else after DISKPART
All I see is this:

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
Copyright(etc)
On computer:MINWINPC
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2013   #8
Microsoft MVP

 

Test your HD with maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by Disk Check from installer Command Line.

If HD is sound, try another installer for your licensed version using the link provided earlier. If the DVD still fails try the flash stick installer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2013   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Test your HD with maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by Disk Check from installer Command Line.

If HD is sound, try another installer for your licensed version using the link provided earlier. If the DVD still fails try the flash stick installer.
Should I download the Windows Diagnostic tool or DOS Diagnostic tool?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2013   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

The DOS version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop loops at startup, please help.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Laptop loops at startup, please help.
Thread Forum
Startup Repair to infinite reboot loops, Repair errors 0x5 & 0x490 General Discussion
Laptop, doesn't load into windows, loops Auto Startup Repair General Discussion
Memory Stick Question-Those Metal Loops Hardware & Devices
Solved Fruity loops Hardware & Devices
Hangs, Loops and BSOD on Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit BSOD Help and Support
Bluetooth Driver Install-Loops Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33