Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installation files are frequently corrupted, and movies won't play.

06 Apr 2013   #1
Stokie1996

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Installation files are frequently corrupted, and movies won't play.

ISSUE 1:

I've been having consistent problems since I bought this PC with many things, one of the major ones being that when I try to install downloaded files, it usually fails due to them being corrupt, the same issue often happens when installing from a disk too, which brings me to believe that there could be a problem when the system tries to write files to my HDD, I get a lot of errors showing problems with various things from extractions to corrupt files. I get the issues with about 75% of games I install and about 25% of programs that I install.

Before you suggest the issue is with RAM, I can guarantee that it isn't, because the system came with faulty RAM that was detected by MemTest and it blue screened all of the time because of it, but this has been sorted now, and I've added a checklist to clear up some of the things that you may intent to ask me to do.

Various searches around the web show that the issue could be related to many different things, so I really don't know where to start with this issue.

ISSUE 2:

This issue is rather bizarre, but I believe it's completely unrelated to the first, whenever I attempt to play any DVD in Windows Media Player (yes they're legal copies), I get the following error:



The problem is definitely not with the optical drive because I have no issue when using VLC Media Player, so despite this not being as urgent as the previous issue, it would still be nice to get it sorted. However, I did read something about the possibility of the monitor not being HDCP compliant, but I didn't quite understand it and my monitor is from the early 2000's so it's difficult to find information on it.

Checklist:
- Run MemTest86+ (Passed x8)
- Run Whole Computer Scan (Passed)

- Run System File Checker ("Windows Resource Protection found some corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." See CBS.log)
- Run ChkDsk (Passed)
- Update Drivers (Up To Date)



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Apr 2013   #2
Stokie1996

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Does nobody have an answer to my problems or has my thread gotten buried already? I noticed that my thread has a lot more views than many others, but still doesn't have any replies.

Thanks in advance,
Callum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #3
gregrocker

 

I don't recognize the maker but if this has factory preinstalled Win7 then I'd do what most tech enthusiasts do and Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to get rid of the bloatware which throttles Win7 native performance.

At the minimum I'd Clean Up Factory Bloatware.

I notice you use AVG which no one has recommended here for the entire four years since Win7 was in beta and released. It's buggy bloatware that causes problems. I'd replace it with recommended Microsoft Security Essentials
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Apr 2013   #4
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #5
Stokie1996

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I don't recognize the maker but if this has factory preinstalled Win7 then I'd do what most tech enthusiasts do and Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to get rid of the bloatware which throttles Win7 native performance.

At the minimum I'd Clean Up Factory Bloatware.

I notice you use AVG which no one has recommended here for the entire four years since Win7 was in beta and released. It's buggy bloatware that causes problems. I'd replace it with recommended Microsoft Security Essentials
Arbico have been an absolutely terrible company in my experience, I had nothing but problems right from the start. Which is why I'm slightly worried that if it is a hardware issue a clean reinstall may void the warranty, but I'll look into it.

Thanks for the recommendation of MSE but it's been recommended previously and I didn't like it whatsoever when I did use it. If you have any other recommendations then I'm open to try them though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #6
Stokie1996

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
That's the exact reason I put a checklist in, I have already ran SFC but there are a few files that cannot be fixed, I don't know where to go from there but it's very few files and there's a low chance that it's related, I attached the log.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #7
gregrocker

 

The other recommended AV is Avast, but never AVG. Never.

I would not fear voiding your warranty as courts have repeatedly ruled makers cannot void the hardware warranty for users reinstalling software on their property they way they want it, so they don't even try any more. It was never more than a gambit to force sponsors crapware on us anyway.

But I would first make your Recovery disks and save externally a Win7 backup image of the entire HD so you have a path back if you ever have to ship it for servicing. And never tell them you reinstalled when seeking service or support. The support is usually more like a parody troupe anyway.

All of this is explained along with everything else needed to get a perfect install in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. And this is the top tech forums on the web ever.

If you distrust the hardware I'd run memtest overnight to stress it, the HD maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan followed by a full Disk Check on all partitions, then stress test the processor with Prime 95.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #8
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

What didn`t you like about MSE ?

You install it, set it up the way you want ( so easy ) and that`s it. You never really ever have to interact with it again.

I`m with Greg, AVG is absolute garbage

MSE and MBAM is all you`ll ever need.

And you scan everything you download b4 you open it, correct ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #9
Stokie1996

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
The other recommended AV is Avast, but never AVG. Never.

I would not fear voiding your warranty as courts have repeatedly ruled makers cannot void the hardware warranty for users reinstalling software on their property they way they want it, so they don't even try any more. It was never more than a gambit to force sponsors crapware on us anyway.

But I would first make your Recovery disks and save externally a Win7 backup image of the entire HD so you have a path back if you ever have to ship it for servicing. And never tell them you reinstalled when seeking service or support. The support is usually more like a parody troupe anyway.

All of this is explained along with everything else needed to get a perfect install in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. And this is the top tech forums on the web ever.

If you distrust the hardware I'd run memtest overnight to stress it, the HD maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan followed by a full Disk Check on all partitions, then stress test the processor with Prime 95.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
What didn`t you like about MSE ?

You install it, set it up the way you want ( so easy ) and that`s it. You never really ever have to interact with it again.

I`m with Greg, AVG is absolute garbage

MSE and MBAM is all you`ll ever need.

And you scan everything you download b4 you open it, correct ?
Well I decided to uninstall AVG and attempt to install Microsoft Security Essentials, and relevantly it won't install due to an error, which proves how bad my issue is, I redownloaded twice and restarted, but I still get this same error.



As for MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, I already have the full version, but yeah back to the issue, these are the kinds of problems that I'm experiencing with everything I try to install.

I already ran MemTest86+ a few days ago for 8 passes, no errors.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2013   #10
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

I would reinstall windows. I wouldn`t stand for that 1 more minute.

Reboot windows and try to reinstall MSE 1 more time, If it still won`t work, I`d seriously consider an install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installation files are frequently corrupted, and movies won't play.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Corrupted Files + Unable to Repair + Corrupted Source
So, I reformatted my computer again. Did some SFC scans before I installed any Microsoft updates and all scans were clean. Did all the updates, drivers, program installations. Couple days later I decide to check with SFC and found some errors. There's also errors at the source, meaning I can't...
Performance & Maintenance
Corrupted CD, getting an error as corrupted or missing files
Hi All I bought a new windows 7 home basic edition. I tried installing windows 7 on my laptop after formatting the disk. During the 2nd step of installation Install windows ->Expanding windows it says files may be corrupted please ensure all the files exist before installation. Please help, I...
General Discussion
Can't play movies or open many pics?
I have Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and just recently started having trouble viewing videos and pictures open very slowly if at all. I have the latest versions of Flash Player and other softwares. Video will start to download and will play for a few seconds and then starts "buffering" indefinitely. I...
Music, Pictures & Video
Can't play movies
Good morning Guys, I just purchased a new HP DM4T laptop (Windows 7) I moved several movies from my old laptop a Compaq Presario CQ60 (Vista) These movies are all about 700 megs, Face Off, Executive Decision, Rambo 8...ect and are AVI files. My Compaq Presario CQ60 (Vista) played these movies...
Music, Pictures & Video
How can I play movies from thru my laptop on my TV?
I need help I have a LG TV LD 450 type and a HP laptop Pavillion dv7-316dx Entertainement notebook. How can I play movies from thru my laptop on my TV? (P.S. I am not very tech smart so please explain very detailed and no abbreviations)
Music, Pictures & Video
Can Windows 7 play Blu Ray movies out of the box
I read that Window 7 is Blu Ray ready; does that mean it can play Blu Ray movies without buying a codec?
Media Center


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App