Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Moving HDD to New Computer from Old Computer

09 Apr 2013   #21
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FH Rob View Post
I need to clarify three important points:

1 - When we say "Data" we're talking about files other than Program files. Am I correct here?

2 - In all cases when migrating from Computer A to Computer B, must your program files be reinstalled?

3 - Do you copy the data files to the new computer first, or install the programs on the new computer, and then copy the data files?

Thanks

Rob
1- Yes
2- Why would you have programs installed on a data drive, you would only have your program INSTALLERS on the data drive.
3- No, you just leave your data on the hard drive, that`s why it`s called a data hard drive, no need to move it. Your new pc has nothing to do with the data drive. You are just adding it to the new pc.

look at this shot of 1 of my pc`s disk management. I can move disk 1 to any pc I choose.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Apr 2013   #22
FH Rob

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FH Rob View Post
I need to clarify three important points:

1 - When we say "Data" we're talking about files other than Program files. Am I correct here?

2 - In all cases when migrating from Computer A to Computer B, must your program files be reinstalled?

3 - Do you copy the data files to the new computer first, or install the programs on the new computer, and then copy the data files?

Thanks

Rob
1- Yes
2- Why would you have programs installed on a data drive, you would only have your program INSTALLERS on the data drive.
3- No, you just leave your data on the hard drive, that`s why it`s called a data hard drive, no need to move it. Your new pc has nothing to do with the data drive. You are just adding it to the new pc.

look at this shot of 1 of my pc`s disk management. I can move disk 1 to any pc I choose.

I think my jargon needs a little tweaking here.

Example - I have a game program which uses Steam. The game offers downloadable content, which I pay for, and is then installed in the Steam directory, within that particular game folder.

Is the content I purchased considered data or program?

If I use the term "data drive," that should only be files such as jpeg, doc, xls etc?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2013   #23
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

I would consider that program data and Yes to ? #2

docs, videos, movies, pictures whatever.

Remember, the proper program must be installed on the operating system to view those files, Adobe, Word, VLC Player ( certain movies ) etc.

And you better have all the info on hand for any games you purchased, keys etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Apr 2013   #24
FH Rob

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
I would consider that program data and Yes to ? #2

docs, videos, movies, pictures whatever.
While we're on the subject of program drives vs. data drives, is the goal to have windows in it's own partition, i.e. C drive, and try to install the programs that allow it in another partition or physical drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2013   #25
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

No, you want windows and your programs on the same partition, that way when you make a disk image, it`s all together. So later when you recover windows from the image, you don`t have to reinstall all your programs.

Your program INSTALLERS are what goes on the the data drive/partition.

Do you understand ?

Look again at my shot of disk management and see how it`s laid out, windows is on C, my backups are on E. If I have an issue with windows, I just reinstall with the disk image I created of C earlier and it takes only 10 or 15 minutes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2013   #26
FH Rob

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
No, you want windows and your programs on the same partition, that way when you make a disk image, it`s all together. So later when you recover windows from the image, you don`t have to reinstall all your programs.

Your program INSTALLERS are what goes on the the data drive/partition.

Do you understand ?
I got you on part 1. Can you explain about installers? I'm not familiar with that term.

Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2013   #27
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

OK, you want to install ccleaner on your C partition, so you go out and download ccleaner. Now normally most people just install it, but it always ask you to save the downlaod first, right ? Again most people just install it it. You can save the program INSTALLER if you want to your DATA DRIVE/PARTITION which is what I do. Now you have it.

Programs always get updated so you`re always saving the latest downlaod and delete the old one. If you are a tech like me, you are ALWAYS saving these programs so you don`t have to keep downlaoding them. I have flash drives FULL of program INSTALLERS for jobs I do.

Do you understand ?

When you get into a routine of installing windows, like I do, you don`t want to have to keep dloading all your favorite programs, so you just save them to your data partition and then, bam they they are. Capishe ?????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2013   #28
FH Rob

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
OK, you want to install ccleaner on your C partition, so you go out and download ccleaner. Now normally most people just install it, but it always ask you to save the downlaod first, right ? Again most people just install it it. You can save the program INSTALLER if you want to your DATA DRIVE/PARTITION which is what I do. Now you have it.

Programs always get updated so you`re always saving the latest downlaod and delete the old one. If you are a tech like me, you are ALWAYS saving these programs so you don`t have to keep downlaoding them. I have flash drives FULL of program INSTALLERS for jobs I do.

Do you understand ?

When you get into a routine of installing windows, like I do, you don`t want to have to keep dloading all your favorite programs, so you just save them to your data partition and then, bam they they are. Capishe ?????
Got it. Thanks.

Also, thanks for actually spelling "Capishe" because I've said and heard it many times, but never saw it written before!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2013   #29
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

LOL, who knows how to spell it, I just wrote it how it sounds, I was unsure of the E, but Capish would`ve sounded stupid. RFLMAO !!! Ha HA LOL !!!

Some programs and data you should always have on the data drive:

Microsoft Security Esseintals
Malwarebytes
Image Burn
Power Iso ( what I use )
Your Video Card Drivers
Al Zip
Win Zip
Win RAR
All Your wallpapers
An iso Image of your windows 7 version ( very important ) # 1
Winbubble
Windows 7 start button changer
VLC Player
All your Gadgets ( possibly # 3 )
Virtual Pc 2007 ( it`s just what I use )
Tuneup utilities
Speccy
Intel Burn test
All your pictures
Core Temp
Real Temp
GPU-z
CPU-z
Partition wizard
Partition Wizard Boot cd iso image ( possibly # 2 )

I could go on and on.................
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Moving HDD to New Computer from Old Computer




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Computer will not boot after moving HHD
Hello, I recently got a computer from a relative in exchange for setting up their new one. ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-560_User's%20Guide_en-us.pdf At the time I had just finished building my own custom PC and put Linux on it. I...
General Discussion
Moving motherboard from one computer to another
`Hey : )B :D I do not know if my computer specs will show up here or not but i think to help i'll just put it up here (or put the story here) I Use a Dell Optiplex 760 with a Small form or the smaller form factor case (It uses a laptop cd/dvd drive rather than a big full fat one) and the case...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Moving Drives from Old Computer
I had a computer built for me that includes a new 1TB drive running Windows 7 64-bit for the OS and I would like to move over the drives from my old computer to be used as storage drives. Here's my questions: 1. I have a 750GB drive from my old computer that was running the OS after installing...
Installation & Setup
Moving MS office to another computer.
I have Office 2010 Home & Student on my laptop. Because, the company I work for is offering full blown promotional copies of MS office to all us employees, I want to remove my purchased copy and save it for later use on another computer. This is so I won’t lose my purchased copy when I load...
Installation & Setup
Upgrading/Moving Computer
I was planning on upgrading my computer.. Namely, replacing the motherboard so that I could upgrade my processor, and getting a new video card. Under XP it was fine, I just had to install new drivers. But will 7 complain about licenses and such? Would I need to 'easy in' to the change (new...
Installation & Setup
Moving Win 7 to another computer
I have a full retail version of Windows 7 home premium. If I retire this machine, I am able to install this on a new PC I might buy arn't I?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App