Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: W7 will not start, various errors


14 Apr 2013   #21
Microsoft MVP

 

Some of the AV's can be written to flash stick so I'd try that with Defender. It should run if its burrned/written and booted correctly.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Apr 2013   #22

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

OK. Sorry for not giving any updates for a few days.

Actually, I ran out of time to try tricks and all those that were told didnt work. So I bit the bullet and went for a format. I have a friend that has a "mini-xp boot CD". I used it and was able to boot. From there I copied most of my USER to my 2nd disk.

Now the fun part! Now that everything I needed was safe on the 2nd disk, I was free of mind to format C:. I booted on Windows 7 DVD. From there I got still various errors. It went from "Error 0x80070057 Failed to format selected partition" (disk only has 1 partition) to last step of the install and got "Setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file".

I am disappointed. Where formating should be the easiest part, I cant even make it work. Also for some reason, I cannot access Startup Repairs anymore. I gives me another error message that I didnt take note of.

So, now that I am ready to format and it wont let me, what do I do?

Thank you for your time and all the help so far,
Maesen
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2013   #23
Microsoft MVP

 

Here are the steps to get around most installation hurdles:

Back up your files, unplug all other HD's and peripherals,

Boot into BIOS setup, reset to defaults, save changes. If an EFI BIOS, enable Legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module, set DVD drive first to boot, HD second. Then set SATA controller to AHCI. Save changes and Exit.

Then boot into Windows 7 installer DVD or flash stick burned or written using tool and latest ISO for your licensed OS version here.

At first installer screen Press Shift + F10 to open a Command Box, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=102400 (for 100gb partition, adjust as desired)
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT

Next click Install Now, then Custom install to Clean Install Windows 7 to the partition you created. If it fails then report back at which step and the verbatim error message.

In addition read over these steps to understand the tools and methods which work best to get and maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. The steps are the same for retail.

After install you can adjust partition size or Create new partitions for data, etc. in Disk Mgmt.You are creating the partition here for the purpose of marking it Active which overcomes certain install failures.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Apr 2013   #24

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Here are the steps to get around most installation hurdles:

Back up your files, unplug all other HD's and peripherals,

Boot into BIOS setup, reset to defaults, save changes. If an EFI BIOS, enable Legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module, set DVD drive first to boot, HD second. Then set SATA controller to AHCI. Save changes and Exit.

Then boot into Windows 7 installer DVD or flash stick burned or written using tool and latest ISO for your licensed OS version here.

At first installer screen Press Shift + F10 to open a Command Box, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=102400 (for 100gb partition, adjust as desired)
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT

Next click Install Now, then Custom install to Clean Install Windows 7 to the partition you created. If it fails then report back at which step and the verbatim error message.

In addition read over these steps to understand the tools and methods which work best to get and maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. The steps are the same for retail.

After install you can adjust partition size or Create new partitions for data, etc. in Disk Mgmt.You are creating the partition here for the purpose of marking it Active which overcomes certain install failures.
Alright.

I will follow your steps by the book as soon as I can tomorrow because it is too late for me to wait for the install.

Thanks alot for the fast reply!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2013   #25

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Here are the steps to get around most installation hurdles:

Back up your files, unplug all other HD's and peripherals,

Boot into BIOS setup, reset to defaults, save changes. If an EFI BIOS, enable Legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module, set DVD drive first to boot, HD second. Then set SATA controller to AHCI. Save changes and Exit.

Then boot into Windows 7 installer DVD or flash stick burned or written using tool and latest ISO for your licensed OS version here.

At first installer screen Press Shift + F10 to open a Command Box, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=102400 (for 100gb partition, adjust as desired)
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT

Next click Install Now, then Custom install to Clean Install Windows 7 to the partition you created. If it fails then report back at which step and the verbatim error message.

In addition read over these steps to understand the tools and methods which work best to get and maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. The steps are the same for retail.

After install you can adjust partition size or Create new partitions for data, etc. in Disk Mgmt.You are creating the partition here for the purpose of marking it Active which overcomes certain install failures.
Hi!

I started doing what you said and I am at the step of "FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"". I made it for the full size of my 250gb disk for now. But, it is stuck at 0%. Is it supposed to be a slow process or it is really stuck there?

Also, since I can change partition size later, what would be the best partition size to make? For Windows atleast.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2013   #26

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

Answer to your question . Yes if you add the quick command in the end it will be a lot faster

Example below


FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7" QUICK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2013   #27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by VistaKing View Post
Answer to your question . Yes if you add the quick command in the end it will be a lot faster

Example below


FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7" QUICK
Is there a difference between the quick version and the normal? Cause its 2% in, it's gonna take all day to complete and I would like to be able to use the computer a little bit this weekend.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2013   #28

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maesen View Post
Is there a difference between the quick version and the normal? Cause its 2% in, it's gonna take all day to complete and I would like to be able to use the computer a little bit this weekend.
Okay, I went and redid the command with the quick method and it took about 15seconds to complete. I did the last steps and clicked "Install now". I then chose Custom Install but I couldnt install Windows 7 on the partition I just created because I got this message:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has a MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

What do I do from there?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2013   #29

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

Hi Maesen

See if this tutorial below will help

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2013   #30

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

It's alright, as I write this Windows is Installing!

While waiting for replies I searched the forum and found a tutorial on how to convert disk to GPT and to disable UEFI boot in the BIOS (explained by Gregrocker, you sir are everywhere!). I did like it explained, rebooted and tried to install and it let me! So Windows is at the "Expanding Windows Files" step right now. I'll keep you guys up to date on what happens.

Many thanks,
Maesen
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 W7 will not start, various errors




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: W7 will not start, various errors
Thread Forum
Weird Start-Up Errors General Discussion
BSOD Errors 0X00000019, 1A, 50, F4, 24 Does not start windows BSOD Help and Support
Numerous BSOD errors, now just minutes after start up. BSOD Help and Support
Errors after I start programs (corrupted disk) Performance & Maintenance
Where do I start? So many errors.. BSOD Help and Support
Help please... two script errors just after start up BSOD Help and Support
Errors at start-up BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33