Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Flash drive WRITE PROTECTED,, not able to format


14 Apr 2013   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Flash drive WRITE PROTECTED,, not able to format

I am having some problems with my flash drive (SANDISK 8GB), i can't format and change any file of my flash drive, every method for flushing my data gave me the same respond, THE DISK IS WRITE PROTECTED,
i googled for the same but all was in vain,,, i tried formatting my drive with command prompt in safe mode but didn’t work and i as well tried it formatting it with low level formatting software, I also followed the registry editor method but didn't worked,,,,,
, I almost tried all method that i was suggested by GOOGLE but all was in vain... lastly i hope to get a successful idea from the forum, I want my fresh looking Flash drive work smartly once again.....THANKS IN ADVANCE….


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Apr 2013   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Hi,

Have you tried a clean all from an elevated command prompt, before formatting the drive?

Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2013   #3
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Did you try this? (found in a Google search):

Quote:
IT'S WORKS

Check out the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies.

The value 'WriteProtect' should be absent or set to '0'.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Apr 2013   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Jacee, I think thats the registry editor method he mentions.......lets see what he says
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2013   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Hi OP.

When did your drive start acting like that? Did you ever try to make "partitions" on your thumb drive? I know I'm asking a wierd question, but I need to ask.

Once, one of my silly friends "partitioned" a thumb drive and it became write protected forever, lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Hi,

Have you tried a clean all from an elevated command prompt, before formatting the drive?

Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command

Regards,
Golden
Hey GOLDEN, thanks for your suggestion but its also not working, i tried both clean and clean all commands in an elevated command prompt but it show an error that reads " Diskpart has encountered an error: The drive is write protected. see the system event Log for more information,,
System event log ,, what does that means,, does it make any sence,,,,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Jacee, I think thats the registry editor method he mentions.......lets see what he says
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Did you try this? (found in a Google search):

Quote:
IT'S WORKS

Check out the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies.

The value 'WriteProtect' should be absent or set to '0'.

YES, exjactly that was the registry editor method i mentioned,, but for my surprise there isn't any storagedevicepolicies in that location mentioned above, i can see Storage there, but i don't think it's the same,,, this method failed becoz i could not spot out storagedevicepolicies
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roboticarm View Post
Hi OP.

When did your drive start acting like that? Did you ever try to make "partitions" on your thumb drive? I know I'm asking a wierd question, but I need to ask.
I didn't noticed xjactly since when and due to what reason it;s acting like this but,, but its almost 3 weeks i m trying to fix it ,,,, ,, Nops i didn't , how should i do it;s partition,, :: Partition of write protected drive really sound wierd,,, plz do post me the method i will sure try,,,,
and thanxs ,,,,,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by giteshpoudel View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roboticarm View Post
Hi OP.

When did your drive start acting like that? Did you ever try to make "partitions" on your thumb drive? I know I'm asking a wierd question, but I need to ask.
I didn't noticed xjactly since when and due to what reason it;s acting like this but,, but its almost 3 weeks i m trying to fix it ,,,, ,, Nops i didn't , how should i do it;s partition,, :: Partition of write protected drive really sound wierd,,, plz do post me the method i will sure try,,,,
and thanxs ,,,,,
Did you try using the drive on a different computer?

Also try playing with this Sandisk demo rescue tool: SanDisk RescuePRO® and RescuePRO® Deluxe Recovery Software | LC Technology International, Inc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #10

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

By chance would their be a little switch on the flash drive that needs moved. Some have them and some don't. Look very closely they are small switches.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Flash drive WRITE PROTECTED,, not able to format




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Flash drive WRITE PROTECTED,, not able to format
Thread Forum
Solved USB drive is write protected. Hardware & Devices
Solved How to remove/format write-protected USB's? Hardware & Devices
How to Format a Write Protected Disk Hardware & Devices
Solved Write Protected Flash Drive - Toshiba 16GB Hardware & Devices
write protected pen drive General Discussion
Any Hard Drive is Write-Protected Hardware & Devices
thumb drive is write-protected Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33