Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What DirectX for what video card?

15 Apr 2013   #1
khoshtipi

windows 7 Ultimate X86
 
 
What DirectX for what video card?

Hi,

How can I find what DirectX is suitable for what video card?

Machine: Windows 32-bit

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Apr 2013   #2
juliaDexter

windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Are you using windows 7-32 bit?
Your system configurations?
Generally updated Direct X 11 is recommended.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #3
TwoCables

 

With Windows 7, you have DirectX 11. To take full advantage of DirectX 11, the GPU must be at least a GeForce 400 series or the ATi Radeon 5000 Series (now called AMD Radeon 5000 Series).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Apr 2013   #4
khoshtipi

windows 7 Ultimate X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by juliaDexter View Post
Are you using windows 7-32 bit?
Your system configurations?
Generally updated Direct X 11 is recommended.
Yeah I'm using Windows 7-32bit ultimate. But please don't care about it. I'm a computer repairer, so when a computer comes for me (for repairing) I install DirectX at end, but don't should install one DiectX for each one because they are different.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #5
benjy206

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

DirectX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DirectX should be there when the OS is installed.

You can open directX by typing in the search bar on the start menu "dxdiag"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #6
khoshtipi

windows 7 Ultimate X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
With Windows 7, you have DirectX 11. To take full advantage of DirectX 11, the GPU must be at least a GeForce 400 series or the ATi Radeon 5000 Series (now called AMD Radeon 5000 Series).
You say in Windows 7 I must see the type of video card (say, Geforce Gts 450) and If it's between that range (that you said), then install DirectX 11 for that?
How to find out whether it's between that range or not or it's weak or powerful? (by Total available graphics memory?)

How about Windows XP?

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #7
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by khoshtipi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
With Windows 7, you have DirectX 11. To take full advantage of DirectX 11, the GPU must be at least a GeForce 400 series or the ATi Radeon 5000 Series (now called AMD Radeon 5000 Series).
You say in Windows 7 I must see the type of video card (say, Geforce Gts 450) and If it's between that range (that you said), then install DirectX 11 for that?
How to find out whether it's between that range or not or it's weak or powerful? (by Total available graphics memory?)

How about Windows XP?

Thanks.
Windows XP only supports up to DirectX 9. Windows Vista DirectX 10, and Windows 7 DirectX 11. I was saying that I see you have Windows 7 and Windows 7 has DirectX 11. So in order to take full advantage of that, the GPU must be a part of the GeForce 400 Series or later, or a part of the HD 5000 Series or later.

So if you're using Windows XP, then you can only take advantage of up to DirectX 9. If you're in Vista, then you can take advantage of up to DirectX 10. Windows 7, up to DirectX 11. However, the GPU must be compatible. So if you're using Windows XP and you have a GeForce 400 Series or later, or HD 5000 Series or later, then the operating system is acting as a bottleneck because it's not allowing you to take advantage of DirectX 10 or 11 because XP can only support up to DirectX 9.

May I ask why you're asking?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #8
khoshtipi

windows 7 Ultimate X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by khoshtipi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
With Windows 7, you have DirectX 11. To take full advantage of DirectX 11, the GPU must be at least a GeForce 400 series or the ATi Radeon 5000 Series (now called AMD Radeon 5000 Series).
You say in Windows 7 I must see the type of video card (say, Geforce Gts 450) and If it's between that range (that you said), then install DirectX 11 for that?
How to find out whether it's between that range or not or it's weak or powerful? (by Total available graphics memory?)

How about Windows XP?

Thanks.
Windows XP only supports up to DirectX 9. Windows Vista DirectX 10, and Windows 7 DirectX 11. I was saying that I see you have Windows 7 and Windows 7 has DirectX 11. So in order to take full advantage of that, the GPU must be a part of the GeForce 400 Series or later, or a part of the HD 5000 Series or later.

So if you're using Windows XP, then you can only take advantage of up to DirectX 9. If you're in Vista, then you can take advantage of up to DirectX 10. Windows 7, up to DirectX 11. However, the GPU must be compatible. So if you're using Windows XP and you have a GeForce 400 Series or later, or HD 5000 Series or later, then the operating system is acting as a bottleneck because it's not allowing you to take advantage of DirectX 10 or 11 because XP can only support up to DirectX 9.

May I ask why you're asking?
Of course. As in above I in reply to "juliaDexter" said. I'm a computer repairer. I'd like to equip any machine comes for me with all possibilities after repairing it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #9
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by khoshtipi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by khoshtipi View Post

You say in Windows 7 I must see the type of video card (say, Geforce Gts 450) and If it's between that range (that you said), then install DirectX 11 for that?
How to find out whether it's between that range or not or it's weak or powerful? (by Total available graphics memory?)

How about Windows XP?

Thanks.
Windows XP only supports up to DirectX 9. Windows Vista DirectX 10, and Windows 7 DirectX 11. I was saying that I see you have Windows 7 and Windows 7 has DirectX 11. So in order to take full advantage of that, the GPU must be a part of the GeForce 400 Series or later, or a part of the HD 5000 Series or later.

So if you're using Windows XP, then you can only take advantage of up to DirectX 9. If you're in Vista, then you can take advantage of up to DirectX 10. Windows 7, up to DirectX 11. However, the GPU must be compatible. So if you're using Windows XP and you have a GeForce 400 Series or later, or HD 5000 Series or later, then the operating system is acting as a bottleneck because it's not allowing you to take advantage of DirectX 10 or 11 because XP can only support up to DirectX 9.

May I ask why you're asking?
Of course. As in above I in reply to "juliaDexter" said. I'm a computer repairer. I'd like to equip any machine comes for me with all possibilities after repairing it.
That sounds costly to me. I mean, let's say that you repair a computer that has a GeForce 9 Series (like the 9800 GT or something) in it and Windows XP. To prepare it for all possibilities, you'd need Windows 7 or Windows 8 and a new video card that can support DirectX 11. Otherwise, the computer would be limited to Directx 9. That's just a random example that just popped in my head.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, DirectX is just one of those things that you can leave alone without worrying about it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2013   #10
khoshtipi

windows 7 Ultimate X86
 
 

@twocables:

OK, from those topics and wikipedia I found that I should install DirectX 9 for XP and DirectX 11 for 7.
I have the directX 9. But is there a safe website to download updated version of DirextX 11 that you know?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What DirectX for what video card?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Graphics card/ DirectX problem....
So... I have problem and don't know how to solve it.. 1. I need drivers for my graphics card, and can't find any program that can download it for me (all need purchase... ) and i'm not that smart to find them by myselfe... 2. Second problem is that i have DirectX 11, but it says that i don't...
General Discussion
USB external video card or AGP Video Card for Windows 7?
Hello everyone. I currently need a new video card for my Gateway e4610 small form desktop PC because my on-board graphics have apparently gone bad. My display is slanted or out of alignment. And after testing different monitors, hard drives, moving the PC to different rooms, checking wires,...
Graphic Cards
Need Graphic Card with DirectX 11 (150 $)
hi experts i need to upgrade my graphic card so i want a directX 11 support pls suggest me good graphic card in range up to 150$.:(
Graphic Cards
Directx 10 card and Windows 7 64 questions please
Hello - Having had a plenty of problems with software conflicts on the 64 bit version I am wary of putting stuff on the PC I am not sure about. I am also struggling to find any info that I can understand on the net, so grateful for any knowledge please :D I have an ATI 4850, which is supported...
Gaming
AMD Announces Low-cost DirectX 11 Graphics Card
More...
Graphic Cards
Interesting articles about DirectX 11 Graphics Card
Source: AMD set to release DirectX 11 graphics card - amd, directx, graphics cards - PC World Source:ATI Demonstrates “The Future” DirectX 11 Graphics Cards at Quakecon - X-bit labs
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App