Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows\sysWOW64 error message

22 Apr 2013   #1

windows 7 64 bit
 
 
Windows\sysWOW64 error message

Hi, I am new to the forum and have an issue for the past week. An annoying popup window that reads, windows cannot file C:\windows\sysWOW64\sfssdata.exe please check typing and enter correct password. I have tried a couple virus scans, malwarebytes, CCcleaner, JV powertools,windows fix it, system restore. I have run these while connected to the internet and disconnected also ran in safe mode. Nothing eliminates the message. I think I may have left out a few programs that I have run. But if it would be helpful I can check my desktop and list everyone. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. If more info is needed, I can try to provide more details.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Apr 2013   #2

Windows 8 Core X64
 
 

sfssdata.exe is not part of Windows 7 so it must have come from something you installed.

Let's see what starts when you boot your computer.

Download and run Startup List (does not need to be installed, just run it).
When done, click File then Save as and save Startuplist.txt to your Desktop or somewhere you can find it.
Start a reply here and paste the contents of Startuplist.txt into it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2013   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sknowman14 View Post
Hi, I am new to the forum and have an issue for the past week. An annoying popup window that reads, windows cannot file C:\windows\sysWOW64\sfssdata.exe please check typing and enter correct password. I have tried a couple virus scans, malwarebytes, CCcleaner, JV powertools,windows fix it, system restore. I have run these while connected to the internet and disconnected also ran in safe mode. Nothing eliminates the message. I think I may have left out a few programs that I have run. But if it would be helpful I can check my desktop and list everyone. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. If more info is needed, I can try to provide more details.
Hi Sknowman and welcome to Seven Forums.

Have you install any screensavers recently? Or even programs for making them?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
sfssdata.exe is not part of Windows 7 so it must have come from something you installed.

Let's see what starts when you boot your computer.

Download and run Startup List (does not need to be installed, just run it).
When done, click File then Save as and save Startuplist.txt to your Desktop or somewhere you can find it.
Start a reply here and paste the contents of Startuplist.txt into it.
Sorry for jumping in on you Ztruker
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Apr 2013   #4

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

I hope this is what you are looking for.


Attached Files
File Type: txt startuplist check 1.txt (124.6 KB, 5 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2013   #5

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

I am not aware of any screensavers recently. My wife uses this PC for her online college courses. The problem started last Monday the 15th. While she was in one of the classes. She said there was a message popped up with Malwarebytes about a trojan. After that numerous problems occurred. I can detail those issues more if needed. But what I ultimately did was a system restore. Had to do that twice to get the system back to working. One more thing, when the trojan window came up it froze the computer. She did a hard stop after several minutes. When it came back up, it didn't recognize any passwords or no antivirus or malware scans would run. Internet would work though. It was after that I did the restore and started getting that sfssdata.exe popup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2013   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

I see you said Malwarebytes they had a problem last week, have a read of this thread.

Flawed Malwarebytes security update wipes out thousands of computers

Jerry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2013   #7

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

I found a screensaver on the pc called snowflakes screensaver. Could this be the sfssdata.exe file that is causing the popup? I just removed it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2013   #8

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Thanks for the info Jerry, That could well have been what caused my issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2013   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sknowman14 View Post
I found a screensaver on the pc called snowflakes screensaver. Could this be the sfssdata.exe file that is causing the popup? I just removed it.
Yes snowflakes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2013   #10
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

From your startup list, I see this:
System NT shell = Explorer.exe
User screensaver = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SNOWFL~1.SCR

Is this an animated 'snowflakes' screen savor? Is it running or has it been uninstalled?
C:\\Program Files\\Animated Screen\\SnowFlakes Screensaver\\sfssdata.exe

Apparently it is located here: SCRNSAVE.EXE="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\SNOWFL~1.SCR"
alfagames.com | McAfee SiteAdvisor Software
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows\sysWOW64 error message




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows\sysWOW64 error message
Thread Forum
Error: SysWOW64\winvnc86.exe missing Performance & Maintenance
Solved Faulting Module Path C:/Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll General Discussion
Solved Le.exe located in SysWoW64, is this a Windows component? General Discussion
Windows not genuine message plus Error message 0x8000247 Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 product key error message Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7: registering FLAC Frontend in syswow64 Installation & Setup
Error message in Windows 7 ? Music, Pictures & Video

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33