Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Reparse point hell

02 May 2013   #1
HoneycombAG

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 
Reparse point hell

So I managed to muck up my system slightly by using a live Linux USB stick and deleting a handful of reparse points. Fortunately if it hadn't been for me skimming around the Internet for quite some time, I was able to get my reparse points back, but, they don't do or say anything like "access denied" when you click them. Also, special folders like Pictures, Music, etc. have all turned into standard folder icons.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 May 2013   #2
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Lets see if this will help:

1. Click Start
2. In the search box, type cmd
3. In the list that appears, right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run as administrator
4. In the command window that opens, type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

Report the output from the command window once it finishes.

More detail: SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2013   #3
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Are you talking about your user resparse points ot also system resparse points?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 May 2013   #4
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

In elevated command prompt:

Code:
icacls "c:\folder\subfolder\nameOfJunction"  /deny  everyone:(RD)  /L
icacls "c:\folder\subfolder\nameOfJunction"  /setowner  SYSTEM  /L
Of course rename c:\folder\subfolder\nameOfJunction with actual name of junction point
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2013   #5
HoneycombAG

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
In elevated command prompt:

Code:
icacls "c:\folder\subfolder\nameOfJunction"  /deny  everyone:(RD)  /L
icacls "c:\folder\subfolder\nameOfJunction"  /setowner  SYSTEM  /L
Of course rename c:\folder\subfolder\nameOfJunction with actual name of junction point
NB: One of those reparse points is Start Menu, which requires some form of full access, else Windows will spam "access denied" when you click the Start orb or press the Start key on the keyboard.
Exception -- C:\Users\Default\Start Menu --
Code:
icacls "C:\Users\Default\Start Menu"  /deny  everyone:(RD)  /L
icacls "C:\Users\Default\Start Menu"  /setowner  SYSTEM  /L
Further reading

Some of these reparse points have turned into "System files", and even if I did try to make a folder and drag it into that directory, Windows will claim that file already exists. I managed to fix some of them, but now they just look like Windows shortcuts.

Most of the system's reparse points are labeled "Documents and Settings", "Application Data", "All Users", "Default User", "My [Documents | Music | Pictures | Videos]", "Start Menu", "Cookies", "Local Settings", "Templates", "NetHood", "SendTo", "Recent", "Temporary Internet Files", and "PrintHood"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2013   #6
HoneycombAG

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 
Insert disc?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Lets see if this will help:

1. Click Start
2. In the search box, type cmd
3. In the list that appears, right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run as administrator
4. In the command window that opens, type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

Report the output from the command window once it finishes.

More detail: SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Regards,
Golden
After 3 runs of SFC...
Code:
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2013   #7
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HoneycombAG View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
In elevated command prompt:

Code:
icacls "c:\folder\subfolder\nameOfJunction"  /deny  everyone:(RD)  /L
icacls "c:\folder\subfolder\nameOfJunction"  /setowner  SYSTEM  /L
Of course rename c:\folder\subfolder\nameOfJunction with actual name of junction point
NB: One of those reparse points is Start Menu, which requires some form of full access, else Windows will spam "access denied" when you click the Start orb or press the Start key on the keyboard.
Exception -- C:\Users\Default\Start Menu --
Code:
icacls "C:\Users\Default\Start Menu"  /deny  everyone:(RD)  /L
icacls "C:\Users\Default\Start Menu"  /setowner  SYSTEM  /L
Further reading

Some of these reparse points have turned into "System files", and even if I did try to make a folder and drag it into that directory, Windows will claim that file already exists. I managed to fix some of them, but now they just look like Windows shortcuts.

Most of the system's reparse points are labeled "Documents and Settings", "Application Data", "All Users", "Default User", "My [Documents | Music | Pictures | Videos]", "Start Menu", "Cookies", "Local Settings", "Templates", "NetHood", "SendTo", "Recent", "Temporary Internet Files", and "PrintHood"
Run script listed here Further reading

It will recreate all system junction points. It doesn't make them hidden and system though. You can do that yourself. To do so just append this to the script:

Code:
attrib  +h  +s  "%~2"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2013   #8
HoneycombAG

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Run script listed here Further reading
It says that script will only work with SetACL. I don't know the proper command to execute it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2013   #9
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HoneycombAG View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Run script listed here Further reading
It says that script will only work with SetACL. I don't know the proper command to execute it.
Put attached file in c:\windows\system32 (it's the x64 version)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2013   #10
HoneycombAG

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 
Da system is down.

Reparse point hell-picture006.jpg
/facepalm

Might as well clean up and start over, seeing as how every other system services are now saying "access denied" each time I try to launch them as well, or my LAN card no longer wants to connect to the Internet. There are also more disk errors to account for, since I was playing The Sims 2 the other night and the game acted erratically at something, either having to do with not being able to access a file on the hard disk or not being able to locate the proper game file in which to run the piece of code.

Will try to get it back up, although there is a limited number of times one can use his Product Key...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Reparse point hell




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Are Reparse Points and MountVol broken when seen by WinPE or Linux ?
MountVol shows :- \\?\Volume{7374db70-7389-11e2-8a06-001e8c888f33}\ I:\ E:\Images\ When I look at E:\Images I see the contents of I:\ = \\?\Volume{7374db70-7389-11e2-8a06-001e8c888f33}\ If I use a Bootable WinPE or Linux CD the drive letters will be different or...
General Discussion
Restoring windows to original point, can't find restore point
Because windows 7 is getting really slow, I decided to start fresh with it. Going into system restore, I find the original restore point. As I click on it, it says the file is not found. My "backup recovery" drive is a partitioned C drive. Could I find this file? Or Could I somehow format my...
Backup and Restore
Vpn hell
Hi there, I’ve been trying for weeks to establish a VPN connection and I keep getting the dreaded 800 error. I’m desperate; any help would be appreciated… (1) I’m trying to establish an outgoing VPN connection from Computer A to Computer B (2) A is running Windows XP (3) ...
Network & Sharing
I'm going hell, I know it!
Just spent half a day getting rid of Vundo.H trojan on a PC at work. No virus scans run for 8+ months. IE temp folder took 3 minutes to empty. After a half dozen scans with NOD32, MalwareBytes, and MS MRT I stopped getting an infection warning. Had our outside gurus take it anyway and pull the HD...
Chillout Room
What the Hell is MS Doing?
I just read (on Winsupersite.com) that the pre order/upgrades will NOT have a clean install option. This is outrageous. Does MS have no clue as to the goodwill re Win 7 has garnered them but how something exactly like this could destroy that? I have personally suggested to @ least 50 people to...
General Discussion
Now what the hell have I've done
Win 7 E-mail messages import problem. Just replaced my small hard drive for a larger one. The small HD had Win 7 installed. Before replacing HD I backed up my e-mail messages that had been received and sent using Win Live Mail to a folder on an external HD. I checked that folder to make...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App